Featured Review by mary-annef -- The Solution is Political Revolu...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mary-annef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-annef.html
Latest Review: Child of the Sun Complete Edition by Michael Van Cleve

Featured Review by mary-annef -- The Solution is Political Revolu...

Post by mary-annef »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Solution is Political Revolution" by Jillion R Rising.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jillon R. Rising identifies as an "average Joe" American who grew up working-class in Chicago. He and his brother have owned a successful mid-sized construction company there for thirty years. In The Solution is Political Revolution, Rising lays out his view of the current state of the U.S. economy and government – and it's not a pretty picture. He expresses concern over a burgeoning public sector that fails to perform and has consistently eroded social security cash surpluses. Expanding on the monopolization and consolidation of industries, centralization of government, divisive politics, and a media that "fuels and embraces extremism," Rising is critical of what he sees as a political system hamstrung by lobbyists and an unhealthy dependency on Wall Street to maintain a fiat monetary system. The Solution is Political Revolution presents Rising's proposals for shifting the U.S. from a two-party "representative democracy" to a real democracy where the government can be held accountable by the citizens it serves.

At first glance, Rising's provocative choice of title, and even his claims of bipartisanship, smack of the conspiracy theorist. But perhaps that response justifies his view that the media presents Americans in terms of far-left or far-right right extremists when the truth is that the majority "identify as centrist." Rising's arguments are more nuanced than cookie-cutter "Red versus Blue politics." He is anti-Obamacare not because he is a Republican but because he has analyzed how Social Security surpluses were used to plug budget deficits and bail out big corporates and the super-wealthy. He calls into question the wisdom of introducing further comingled entitlement funds such as the Affordable Care Act into an environment where they too could be siphoned out and replaced by treasury bonds that are effectively government IOUs.

I appreciated Rising's use of simple statistics (with sources) to prove his points. A constant refrain throughout the text is the issue of retiring baby boomers (those born in the twenty years after World War II.) Translate that to 51 million exiting the workforce at a rate of 10,000 per day for the next twenty years, and one immediately realizes the scale of the problem. If not, then consider those boomers constitute 28% of the U.S. population, account for half of all consumer spending, and that 75% of them will claim benefits on retirement out of necessity. Then understand that by 2025, two workers will be contributing to each retiree's social security versus the sixteen that did so in 1950. Other examples of Rising's impactful use of numbers include a comparison of earnings for a carpenter versus an accountant servicing a student loan, the annual growth in the nation's deficit, and the breakdown of who owns its debt.

Finding fault with this book feels like nitpicking, but if I have any criticism of Rising, it would be his view of himself as the "average Joe." This naivety is exposed in his proposed solution, the basis of which is that the 326 million citizens of the U.S. outnumber the 5 million "guilty" within the federal government and Wall Street. But how many of the 326 million would be capable of accessing his arguments, let alone acting on them? If Rising suspects the 5 million of deliberately sowing division amongst Americans as a distraction tactic, then he should perhaps consider the intention and impact on education and energy levels of the policies they impose on under-resourced communities.

I'm rating The Solution is Political Revolution 4 out of 4 stars because although I found two typos, it was otherwise well-edited, researched, and written. It's thought-provoking and written for the layperson, but it relies on the reader being reasonably numerate and familiar with financial terminology. I'd recommend it for all Americans, but realistically readers would have to have a desire to penetrate through political rhetoric to understand the downstream effects of White House policy decisions on their pockets and lifestyle. I'd also recommend it to readers involved in policy-making – Rising's proposals are naïve in many cases but still worthy of debate.

The Solution is Political Revolution
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
JKO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jko.html
Latest Review: 7 Ways To Manage Pain With CBD by David Anthony Schroeder

Post by JKO »

It interesting to see how the economy and government of USA is not a pretty sight. I look forward to reading the author's argument considering the USA currently has the best economy it has ever had. Great review!
MAC+
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mac.html
Latest Review: Dagger's Destiny by Linnea Tanner

Post by MAC+ »

Based on your review of the book. I'm going to check it out. It sounds thought provoking.
Ivona R
Currently Reading: Clean Water for Developing Countries
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivona-r.html
Latest Review: Restore Trust by Werner NEFF

Post by Ivona R »

No matter what the author suggests in the book and whether it is plausible or not, it's always nice to see rational arguments backed up with actual numbers. It seems that the author depicts the quality of life of the average American. And it seems to me that social law is becoming a popular topic worldwide since there is a rising number of those retiring. We have to keep in mind that this is also due to a rising population in the world. It's interesting to find new books addressing these issues (and proposing different policies). I hope that more and more people will be aware of them.
gatuguta2030
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatuguta2030.html
Latest Review: Spirit of the Season by Brian Lamont

Post by gatuguta2030 »

mary-annef wrote: 17 Apr 2020, 03:12 [Following is a volunteer review of "The Solution is Political Revolution" by Jillion R Rising.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jillon R. Rising identifies as an "average Joe" American who grew up working-class in Chicago. He and his brother have owned a successful mid-sized construction company there for thirty years. In The Solution is Political Revolution, Rising lays out his view of the current state of the U.S. economy and government – and it's not a pretty picture. He expresses concern over a burgeoning public sector that fails to perform and has consistently eroded social security cash surpluses. Expanding on the monopolization and consolidation of industries, centralization of government, divisive politics, and a media that "fuels and embraces extremism," Rising is critical of what he sees as a political system hamstrung by lobbyists and an unhealthy dependency on Wall Street to maintain a fiat monetary system. The Solution is Political Revolution presents Rising's proposals for shifting the U.S. from a two-party "representative democracy" to a real democracy where the government can be held accountable by the citizens it serves.

At first glance, Rising's provocative choice of title, and even his claims of bipartisanship, smack of the conspiracy theorist. But perhaps that response justifies his view that the media presents Americans in terms of far-left or far-right right extremists when the truth is that the majority "identify as centrist." Rising's arguments are more nuanced than cookie-cutter "Red versus Blue politics." He is anti-Obamacare not because he is a Republican but because he has analyzed how Social Security surpluses were used to plug budget deficits and bail out big corporates and the super-wealthy. He calls into question the wisdom of introducing further comingled entitlement funds such as the Affordable Care Act into an environment where they too could be siphoned out and replaced by treasury bonds that are effectively government IOUs.

I appreciated Rising's use of simple statistics (with sources) to prove his points. A constant refrain throughout the text is the issue of retiring baby boomers (those born in the twenty years after World War II.) Translate that to 51 million exiting the workforce at a rate of 10,000 per day for the next twenty years, and one immediately realizes the scale of the problem. If not, then consider those boomers constitute 28% of the U.S. population, account for half of all consumer spending, and that 75% of them will claim benefits on retirement out of necessity. Then understand that by 2025, two workers will be contributing to each retiree's social security versus the sixteen that did so in 1950. Other examples of Rising's impactful use of numbers include a comparison of earnings for a carpenter versus an accountant servicing a student loan, the annual growth in the nation's deficit, and the breakdown of who owns its debt.

Finding fault with this book feels like nitpicking, but if I have any criticism of Rising, it would be his view of himself as the "average Joe." This naivety is exposed in his proposed solution, the basis of which is that the 326 million citizens of the U.S. outnumber the 5 million "guilty" within the federal government and Wall Street. But how many of the 326 million would be capable of accessing his arguments, let alone acting on them? If Rising suspects the 5 million of deliberately sowing division amongst Americans as a distraction tactic, then he should perhaps consider the intention and impact on education and energy levels of the policies they impose on under-resourced communities.

I'm rating The Solution is Political Revolution 4 out of 4 stars because although I found two typos, it was otherwise well-edited, researched, and written. It's thought-provoking and written for the layperson, but it relies on the reader being reasonably numerate and familiar with financial terminology. I'd recommend it for all Americans, but realistically readers would have to have a desire to penetrate through political rhetoric to understand the downstream effects of White House policy decisions on their pockets and lifestyle. I'd also recommend it to readers involved in policy-making – Rising's proposals are naïve in many cases but still worthy of debate.

The Solution is Political Revolution
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Great review there.I like the fact that you rate the book at 4 stars. You talk about it being well researched,written and edited.Thats a plus for me.I look foward to reading this book.
Nasinash
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Bound by Duty
Bookshelf Size: 31
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Nasinash »

Your review makes me go for this book and also being an economy student, this would be something useful!!
Good review!!
twinkle09
Currently Reading: Tactile Therapy: Volume One
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twinkle09.html
Latest Review: When Life Doesn't Turn Out the Way We Hoped It Would? Volume 1 by Tom Wick

Post by twinkle09 »

Great review!! I for once am quite intrigued to take up this book and read and understand the politics behind the policies of our chosen representatives of people.
Marvin85
Favorite Book: The Biblical Clock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marvin85.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Marvin85 »

The review of this book has intrigued.Lack of transparency is a challenge in the political system of any nation. You begin to empathize with the victims of such inhuman behavior practised by our self-concerned administrators. I will go for this book. Excellent review!!
Haywhyre7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haywhyre7.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Post by Haywhyre7 »

Nice review.. I don't know much about revolution but I do like a good book on politics so I'm definitely going to be reading this.
Krupali
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krupali.html
Latest Review: Salt and Pepper by Maria Akhanji

Post by Krupali »

While I'm not a fan of Political books, the review is very amazing and thus I wish to give it a try!
Krupali :techie-studyingbrown:
gatuguta2030
Currently Reading:

Post by gatuguta2030 »

Based on this good review,I will definitely read this book.
gatuguta2030
Currently Reading:

Post by gatuguta2030 »

Haywhyre7 wrote: 22 Jul 2020, 04:51 Nice review.. I don't know much about revolution but I do like a good book on politics so I'm definitely going to be reading this.
I agree with you.The political side of the story is riveting.
Anngladys
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anngladys.html
Latest Review: Christ Without a Bride by Michael J. Ray

Post by Anngladys »

This is a nice review!
It's great that the book is well-researched. That's always a plus. Statistics are very important for me.
However, I'm not much into politics, so I might skip this one.
Ruth NGO
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ruth NGO »

Based on the review it gives the zeal to want to read the whole book even if am person who not much into politics
Jona00baka
Favorite Book: How To Be Successful
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jona00baka.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Jona00baka »

The review is well articulated and gives me more appetite to feed in the information contained in the book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”