Three phases of a Life of a Christian

Use this forum to discuss the May 2020 Book of the month, "Grace Revealed: Finding God's Strength in Any Crisis" by Frederick J. Sievert.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Three phases of a Life of a Christian

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

According to the author, there are three phases in the life of a Christian; Facing a crisis, Receiving grace, and returning grace to others.

What is your opinion about this? Have you ever done it? Is it practical?
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Alphonsius
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alphonsius.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by Alphonsius »

I really felt touched by the three phases the author outlined. That is: Experiencing crisis, Receiving grace, and returning grace to others.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Sushan wrote: 02 May 2020, 22:36 According to the author, there are three phases in the life of a Christian; Facing a crisis, Receiving grace, and returning grace to others.

I agree with the author on the three phases. I have faced much crisis' in my life and God has given me grace to get through all of them, even those of my own making! I have to confess I don't return grace to others as much as I should, and I hate to admit that! Christians are on this earth to carry out God's work and to show love and compassion to everyone. Thanks for bringing this aspect of the book up!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

I totally agree with the author, life dealt me a hard blow at some point in my life and it took grace to pick me up, help me find my footing and make me stand tall and it's with this experience I'm able to share with friends or people experiencing something similar. I guess this covers the three phases. If there is one thing I know and I'm certain of, it is that you can't give what you don't have.
Deborah kalu
Currently Reading: A Giant Below
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by Deborah kalu »

The author totally remind me of what I had gone through that made me even to misbehave in different ways because I felt my life has come to an end.but, do you know what?despite all my wrongs his grace is still sufficient to me that I keep wondering what kind of God is this?????? So,when ever I saw anyone in the shoe I was before, I make sure I stretch my hand to help in the possible way I can.yes,the author is very correct about the three phases in the life of a Christian. And mine is practical. Thank you for bringing this up.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

B Creech wrote: 03 May 2020, 11:32
Sushan wrote: 02 May 2020, 22:36 According to the author, there are three phases in the life of a Christian; Facing a crisis, Receiving grace, and returning grace to others.

I agree with the author on the three phases. I have faced much crisis' in my life and God has given me grace to get through all of them, even those of my own making! I have to confess I don't return grace to others as much as I should, and I hate to admit that! Christians are on this earth to carry out God's work and to show love and compassion to everyone. Thanks for bringing this aspect of the book up!
Well said! I, too, have passed through these phases, and would love to think I am working more on phase number three. Thank you.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

I wonder why it is that we recognize God's grace most when we are in crisis. The evidence of His power is around us every day. Returning grace to others supposes you have learned to carry it with you and keep it in reserve. The more you give, the more you get.
Twylla
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Intwine
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twylla.html
Latest Review: Contagion Domination by William Nisol
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by Twylla »

Not everyone finds God as a result of being in crisis. I dedicated my life to God as a child and I grew up in a Christian home. I have never faced any of the horrible situations that the people in this book faced. I have had my ups and downs in life, but my life has never been in ruins. When I was growing up and people would come to our church with flaming testimonies, I always felt like my testimony somehow wasn't as powerful. But as an adult, I think living a life close to God with a grateful heart demonstrates God's grace as powerfully as finding God in a crisis. I am grateful for the life God has given me.
Maconstewart
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading: Black Beach
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maconstewart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maconstewart »

I don't believe that crisis is a prerequisite to finding God's grace or Christianity. His most gracious act was giving His son's life as payment for humanities sins. That was given before any of us were even conceived.

We are able, and many do, accept that act of grace and become part of God's family of believers. Some go through life without any major crisis in their life. Others of us have seen our share. But, God is there with His grace and forgiveness for both groups...willingly and freely.
Lisa

My greatest accomplishment is that I raised two daughters that love to read.
:techie-reference: :techie-reference:
Deborah kalu

Post by Deborah kalu »

I ask earlier in my previous post,WHAT KIND OF GOD IS THIS??I said that because, his grace is UNMEASUREABLE. But to be honest, I recognize his grace more in crisis. As for extending grace to others, am trying very hard to keep it up.To tell you the truth, is not easy to extend grace to others as God want us to, but if you can try you will notice it will gradually become part of you.
Jajachris
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jajachris.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Jajachris »

The thing is that for some people, it is in a crisis that they actually begin to doubt the existence of a god, or the need to question their faith, and sometimes they actually find answers in other places. I maintain my assertion that though it was a beautifully written book, it didn't do much to alter my views on spirituality as a non-christian.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

Jajachris wrote: 09 May 2020, 11:44 The thing is that for some people, it is in a crisis that they actually begin to doubt the existence of a god, or the need to question their faith, and sometimes they actually find answers in other places. I maintain my assertion that though it was a beautifully written book, it didn't do much to alter my views on spirituality as a non-christian.
This pretty much sums up my reaction, too.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

It is a great question but there is a lot to unpack here. I have to admit that the definition of crisis can be very subjective from one person to the other. Also do we get just one crisis? How do we measure it?

I think I have received grace in a form of answered prayers but I have to say I am still learning how to give it back to others. Or I am not doing it as it is mentioned in this book. It seems to me that here everything is described in huge extremes. There is a lot of stories here that are of people going through this huge pain and then switch their life for 180* . I don't know I haven't experienced life in such way yet. My connection with my religion was never that shaken , sure I had moments of doubt or distance but never in extreme way.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Maconstewart wrote: 07 May 2020, 12:47 I don't believe that crisis is a prerequisite to finding God's grace or Christianity. His most gracious act was giving His son's life as payment for humanities sins. That was given before any of us were even conceived.

We are able, and many do, accept that act of grace and become part of God's family of believers. Some go through life without any major crisis in their life. Others of us have seen our share. But, God is there with His grace and forgiveness for both groups...willingly and freely.
Well said. I think that way too.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Deborah kalu

Post by Deborah kalu »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 10 May 2020, 15:20

It is a great question but there is a lot to unpack here. I have to admit that the definition of crisis can be very subjective from one person to the other. Also do we get just one crisis? How do we measure it?

I think I have received grace in a form of answered prayers but I have to say I am still learning how to give it back to others. Or I am not doing it as it is mentioned in this book. It seems to me that here everything is described in huge extremes. There is a lot of stories here that are of people going through this huge pain and then switch their life for 180* . I don't know I haven't experienced life in such way yet. My connection with my religion was never that shaken , sure I had moments of doubt or distance but never in extreme way.
This is why the word grace is very powerful.never experience some of this rough experiences in the book in an extreme way??, Is nothing but grace. Not because of your connection with your religion.for God show mercy to whom he choose to show mercy.the story of psalm in the bible is a very good example.Despite all his shortcomings God still call him the Apple of his eyes.isn't that amazing??

Return to “Discuss "Grace Revealed " by Frederick J. Sievert”