favorite story

Use this forum to discuss the May 2020 Book of the month, "Grace Revealed: Finding God's Strength in Any Crisis" by Frederick J. Sievert.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Re: favorite story

Post by Okafor Prosper »

I wouldn't say that I have any favorite story, but Jane's story was really inspiring. I could relate to it as I have been through a similar situation, and it was refreshing to read.
Faithful Oso
Currently Reading: Provoked To Anger
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Faithful Oso »

Even though i don't buy the idea of people having faith in God only when things are not going well, but the character of Jane challenged me. How her faith didnt quiver got me. i was impressed.
ZettieOby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by ZettieOby »

Jane's story taught about having a strong faith foundation and holding on to who (GOD) we believe in. It also taught me not to wait till crisis happen before knowing God. I should love and trust Him when things are good.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Dreamer80 wrote: 13 May 2020, 00:07 In all honesty, I'd have agree with you. Jane's story Literally broke my heart yet inspired me to the bones. I was in awe of her and I learned so much from it.
I was in awe of her too. Imagine having such strong faith during such a trying time. She truly is an amazing Christian. So inspiring.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Deborah kalu wrote: 15 May 2020, 15:29
Nujudee wrote: 14 May 2020, 18:03 Jane's story carried so much Message.
I'm glad she pulled through it
Yes,she is indeed an example of a good Christian. She never allow her circumstances to control her faith,which most Christians do.
Exactly. She is a good Christian that most of us aspire to do too.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Sumansona1344 wrote: 16 May 2020, 04:08
Jajachris wrote: 09 May 2020, 12:18 Jane's story kind of reminded me of Job's story in the bible. He lost everything but not his faith and in the end he was rewarded for his faith, just as it was with Jane.
Same! Moreover, my previous read was "The Legacy of Job's wife". I could relate these stories and both of them gave me the strength to have faith even in impossible situations. I am not a Christian but these books make me wonder more about christianity and its perspectives.
I haven't read that book "The Legacy of Job's wife". I might give it a chance. Now I am really curious about it. I think this book is a great choice for the book of the month because we are currently living in such hard times as a whole world plus all other individuals' problems we all face every day. Overall positive messages can help every human. I hope you found your answers while reading it. I am always curious about different opinions it shines new light on discussions.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Susmita Biswas wrote: 20 May 2020, 04:12 My favourite part of this novel was the positivity and inspiration that was shared. I liked reading it, and experienced a huge amount of peace.
Yes this book is very positive and uplifting. I loved that too.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

espo wrote: 20 May 2020, 13:53
Twylla wrote: 04 May 2020, 15:14 Coss Marte's story was my favorite. I listened to the Ted Talk he gave about his business Conbody. I started doing his Conbody workout, and I am on my way to having the prison body I have always wanted! It was so funny - he said in his Ted Talk that when he got out of prison and he was thinking of starting his fitness studio, he zeroed in on his target market - ladies in yoga pants. That's me! How did he know that ladies in yoga pants would love his workout? I don't know, but at 2:00 every afternoon, I get up and do my prison workout. I don't need equipment and I just need a small area. Coss Marte seems like a good guy! I am so glad he turned his life around and found the Lord!
I loved his insight and story as well! I have an incarcerated friend who confessed to me that the only good thing about prison is that he was able to work out and get the body he always dreamed of. I loved reading your commentary about how he inspired you to work hard to get your "prison body"!
I loved that too. It is very inspiring to read this book. I am glad you find it relatable. When I get that it always makes me enjoy reading it more. How we now living in these times of quarantines and social distancing I imagine is for some similar to a prison. Glad your friend was able to find positivity in such a hard times.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Laura Lee wrote: 21 May 2020, 05:55 A lot of the stories, quite honestly, were difficult for me to read. As an empath, it's tough for me to read of devastatingly painful experiences. One I appreciated in particular, though, was the Vietnam vet's story. My mind just went blank on his name, but I'm close to someone who struggles with all the things that go along with PTSD which, as we all know, so many vets deal with. That and the chronic pain. I have a daughter that deals with chronic pain. Basically, the take away is that whatever you need, in whatever circumstances you find yourself struggling, God is there to help, encourage, support, and sustain. This reminder meant a lot.
You said it perfectly. Reminder. I think if I would describe this book with just one word I would use that. I feel you because I had the same problem with this book as it was very overwhelming. I am an empath too and it is a very emotional read and a lot to take in. Chronic pain is such hardship. And not enough is spoken about it. It gets often just dismissed. God bless you and your family!!
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Michelle Fred wrote: 22 May 2020, 16:04
B Creech wrote: 02 May 2020, 14:32
AntonelaMaria wrote: 01 May 2020, 04:40 Which character or story resonated with you the most?
I found this book owerwhealming to read, especially as I read it in one sitting. I think there are many stories here that were hard to read. I could understand turning to faith in hardships. I liked reading about Jane. I am in awe of her strangth especially after losing so much, her dad, son and then taking care of her mom. The life just kept on punching her with blow after blow. She found solace in her faith. I find that admirable. It would be so easy to blame God for so much heartache.
I think it is actually easier to turn to faith in hardships than it is when all is well. However, we should have faith during the good times and the bad. Jane certainly was pummeled over and over again with trials, but she must have had a strong foundation for her faith. I think the key here is that she found solace in it. That proves to me she has faith when things are good and even when they are bad. Many times we don't think about God until something comes along to upset our lives. It was Jane's faith that helped her get through all she had to face.
I agree with your views. It's so much harder to draw close to God when all is well. Christian gatherings begin to seem like a waste of time and praying becomes a burden. On the other hand, when faced with challenges, humans become desperate. In their desperation, they are willing to turn to anything that offers hope of respite.
Or they feel like God is punishing them or being unfair so they are angry. Which is human too. I do find always such admiration for human strength I guess that is why Jane's story was so impactful.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

B Creech wrote: 22 May 2020, 17:54
Michelle Fred wrote: 22 May 2020, 16:04
B Creech wrote: 02 May 2020, 14:32
I think it is actually easier to turn to faith in hardships than it is when all is well. However, we should have faith during the good times and the bad. Jane certainly was pummeled over and over again with trials, but she must have had a strong foundation for her faith. I think the key here is that she found solace in it. That proves to me she has faith when things are good and even when they are bad. Many times we don't think about God until something comes along to upset our lives. It was Jane's faith that helped her get through all she had to face.
I agree with your views. It's so much harder to draw close to God when all is well. Christian gatherings begin to seem like a waste of time and praying becomes a burden. On the other hand, when faced with challenges, humans become desperate. In their desperation, they are willing to turn to anything that offers hope of respite.
Exactly! I catch myself going through the motions instead of really praying in earnest when all is well with my life! It becomes a habit instead of a desire! But when problems arise I get serious about seeking God when I should have been serious about it all the time!
Yes!! Or praying in gratitude not just in need.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Marty_Kelly wrote: 23 May 2020, 15:45 Looks like an interesting read. I am adding this to my bookshelf.
I hope you enjoy it. I recommend not reading it all in one sitting. Pace yourself.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Tonika632 wrote: 21 May 2020, 12:43 Overall, I love how Sievert wrote about putting faith in God whether you are down or up; he lifts you when you are down, and you praise him after that. It's that simple.
Yet, we often forget even the simplest teaching of all. Kind of silly of us.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Faithful Oso wrote: 24 May 2020, 19:25 Even though i don't buy the idea of people having faith in God only when things are not going well, but the character of Jane challenged me. How her faith didnt quiver got me. i was impressed.
I don't think that people only have faith when things are not going well. But it is a different reaction from different people. Don't you think? Someone might question his faith majority would turn to God for divine help...but why Jane's story was so special to me is that she got so many hits, just one after another, and stayed strong in her faith. I was impressed too.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Kanda_theGreat wrote: 23 May 2020, 07:00 For me, Jane won my heart. It is really hard for someone to hold on to an "unseen" force, especially when adversity is from visible forces.
Despite her loss if her loved ones, she kept the faith- that was very inspiring for me.
I reflected on themany tribulations I have faced in life, and had enough reason to keep on tract.
And that is very impressive. I always admire the strength to keep on going despite all the hardships. I can only imagine how losing a child was devastating for her.

Return to “Discuss "Grace Revealed " by Frederick J. Sievert”