Grace Revealed by a non-religous person

Use this forum to discuss the May 2020 Book of the month, "Grace Revealed: Finding God's Strength in Any Crisis" by Frederick J. Sievert.
Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Re: Grace Revealed by a non-religous person

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

The non-religious will certainly enjoy the part of the book that addresses anxiety and depression. It has something for everyone.
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I think it is more about one’s faith rather than the religion. According to me religion is just a belief about certain ideas and practices.
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

It is clearly a book with evangelistic purposes. However, I believe that some of those stories are rather encouraging regardless if you decide to believe in what it's preached or not. Sometimes, reading about the way someone managed to get through their crisis is quite inspiring.
Usuma Khan
Currently Reading: Hands Across The Sea
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Usuma Khan »

I'm not a Christian. Based on the references to Jesus and they, they obviously are the targeted audience but if we look beneath the surface the books deals with anxiety, hopelessness and depression and based on the reviews, seems to be quite handy. A little change never hurts!
Wuoketch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wuoketch.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wuoketch »

I think anybody can read this book whether religious or not. I haven't read this book yet but from the review, I believe the message conveyed is strong to anyone.
BreathofFreshAriel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-breathoffreshariel.html
Latest Review: The Survival of the Richest by Dr. Anthony M. Criniti IV

Post by BreathofFreshAriel »

From what I've gathered from the other comments there are lessons to be taken from the book regardless of religious identity, but maybe not so much action that one could derive from it seeing as how most of the advice is going to be specific to the Christian faith.
"We don't see things how they are, we see them as we are."
- Rabbi Shemuel ben Nachmani, as quoted in the Talmudic tractate Berakhot (55b.)
Bookreviwer2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviwer2020.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei

Post by Bookreviwer2020 »

To be honest alot of books have things in them that we may not accept, regardless of religious or not...so I personally read books and leave what I don't accept and use what benefits me. It's hard to find any book in total agreement with your own beliefs I think, in general (not talking about religion here)
Reading gives us somewhere to go when we have to stay where we are
TeachinTeens
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teachinteens.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by TeachinTeens »

As a Christian and an English teacher (full-disclosure), I'm of the opinion that there is no such thing as a book that doesn't impact you. That impact can be positive or negative depending on the book. Within Grace Revealed, you will find many religious references. Sievert pulls together multiple stories from a variety of people, grouped by the type of suffering with which they lived; each of these individuals were either not religious or scoffed at religion despite childhood exposure. Ultimately, they will each tell you that their religion not only added in the easing of their troubles, but was essential to it. However, that doesn't negate the fact that they were first simply people suffering. Even if one doesn't believe in God and connect at the religious level, I think the stories of hardship can be just as powerful and evoke just as much empathy. No, this isn't a step-by-step guide to how to rid yourself of addiction or move on from an emotional trauma; it's not a self-help book. However, it still provides anyone who is at their lowest point with the chance to see that other people suffered too and survived; remembering they're not the only one feeling this way can be a powerful tool for every individual, religion not-withstanding. It's worth the read to find out.
VivianLove
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianlove.html
Latest Review: False Trails by Whittney Corum

Post by VivianLove »

I am not a believer. To be honest, I've always been a little scared of religious books, because I feel like there are secrets in these books that I can't understand. I tried a sample of Grace Revealed. The beginning of chapter 1 is difficult for me to understand, with all the definitions and references to the Bible. I did enjoy reading the stories of healing. Those are very personal, and I think the storytellers are so brave to share!
Standor5865
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-standor5865.html
Latest Review: The 2021 Chronicles by A Glenn Rose

Post by Standor5865 »

I'm sure there are stories that even non-religious people will relate to in this book. While there are parts they may not like, the book will help them in certain situations.
SophiaNd
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophiand.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by SophiaNd »

In this Book 'Grace Revealed', I know there is a thing or two for everybody in it especially if hiy are going through or dealing with something. You just have to be open and read through. It's not a book to convert anyone. The main issue is to get the solution you need.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

Religiosity seems not relevant in appreciating this book. In the same way as prayer is not limited to a specific format. Just consider how did people pray before any church was established? I am not one to mix science with religion, but how did the cavemen, or the Neanderthals pray? Were they excluded from any grace?
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Amesthenerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amesthenerd.html
Latest Review: Stranded In The Wild by Gary Rodriguez

Post by Amesthenerd »

I am agnostic, formerly Christian-it’s a long story that’s kinda sad. I’ve seen it a few times and wondered if I could maybe force myself to read it but also I don’t like things that are very heavily Christian because of my past. Does anyone know if it’s a good balance and something a former Christian can handle?
Guda Lydia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guda-lydia.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Guda Lydia »

Anyone with an open mind can read and enjoy the book. There are helpful lessons to be drawn for the read and in the end, whatever belief we subscribe to, we always face similar challenges at some point. In my opinion, it's really about being open minded.
Amesthenerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amesthenerd.html
Latest Review: Stranded In The Wild by Gary Rodriguez

Post by Amesthenerd »

To further my earlier reply, I decided to try this book from a non-religious perspective. I did not enjoy the book because of some of the things that were said, and think the people that will get the most of it are Christians. I do think that just because I didn’t like doesn’t mean any other non-religious person will also not like it.

Return to “Discuss "Grace Revealed " by Frederick J. Sievert”