Three phases of a Life of a Christian

Use this forum to discuss the May 2020 Book of the month, "Grace Revealed: Finding God's Strength in Any Crisis" by Frederick J. Sievert.
Aaron Ambers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaron-ambers.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Re: Three phases of a Life of a Christian

Post by Aaron Ambers »

I quite agree with the author's three phased subdivision of the Christian's life, and yes I have practiced it so it's practical.
What makes you different or weird – that’s your strength.” – Meryl Streep
:tiphat:
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Aaron Ambers wrote: 05 Jun 2020, 04:57 I quite agree with the author's three phased subdivision of the Christian's life, and yes I have practiced it so it's practical.
The ones who practised it knows for what extent it is practical, and it is totally a subjective matter
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Aaron Ambers
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaron-ambers.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Aaron Ambers »

Sushan wrote: 05 Jun 2020, 08:13
Aaron Ambers wrote: 05 Jun 2020, 04:57 I quite agree with the author's three phased subdivision of the Christian's life, and yes I have practiced it so it's practical.
The ones who practised it knows for what extent it is practical, and it is totally a subjective matter
Very subjective @ Sushan.
What makes you different or weird – that’s your strength.” – Meryl Streep
:tiphat:
Claris L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claris-l.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Claris L »

I think the three phases make sense. However, I feel like I bounce between the first two phases (facing a crisis and receiving grace) rather than heading to the third phase of returning grace to others. It's something I personally need to work on.
Sushan Ekanayake
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star

Claris L wrote: 05 Jun 2020, 09:51 I think the three phases make sense. However, I feel like I bounce between the first two phases (facing a crisis and receiving grace) rather than heading to the third phase of returning grace to others. It's something I personally need to work on.
Returning grace is something that needs practice, and one can face crisis as well as grace recurrently

- Bill Gates -

SophiaNd
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophiand.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by SophiaNd »

In a way, I will say the three phases are almost through because we all go through something in our lives no matter what stage and we can only overcome it by God's Grace and when you have overcome something, you are now able to help someone else.
Sushan Ekanayake

SophiaNd wrote: 06 Jun 2020, 12:15 In a way, I will say the three phases are almost through because we all go through something in our lives no matter what stage and we can only overcome it by God's Grace and when you have overcome something, you are now able to help someone else.
That is very correct. When you are in trouble, it is difficult to lend your hand to another

- Bill Gates -

Alec_Stamm
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alec-stamm.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Alec_Stamm »

I generally agree with that sentiment, but might clarify what it means. I grew up in a church that often dramatized what it meant to have a 'religious conversion'. We were implicitly taught to expect that one must hit a stereotypical rock bottom before receiving some sort of direct divine intervention that leads them to Christ. Think "alcoholic getting in a motorcycle crash and coming to God in the emergency room". Id like to share that a crisis doesnt need to take on such a dramatic form to be spiritually significant. My crisis probably came from a desire to discover meaning that I wasn't getting from the tedium of every day life. It probably peaked when I got rejected from several of my dream colleges, and had to settle for a safety school. Over time I came to accept that I was probably a nudging from God to find meaning from him, and not from the social status I was trying to achieve through acceptance to prestigious universities.
Sushan Ekanayake

Alec_Stamm wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 00:09 I generally agree with that sentiment, but might clarify what it means. I grew up in a church that often dramatized what it meant to have a 'religious conversion'. We were implicitly taught to expect that one must hit a stereotypical rock bottom before receiving some sort of direct divine intervention that leads them to Christ. Think "alcoholic getting in a motorcycle crash and coming to God in the emergency room". Id like to share that a crisis doesnt need to take on such a dramatic form to be spiritually significant. My crisis probably came from a desire to discover meaning that I wasn't getting from the tedium of every day life. It probably peaked when I got rejected from several of my dream colleges, and had to settle for a safety school. Over time I came to accept that I was probably a nudging from God to find meaning from him, and not from the social status I was trying to achieve through acceptance to prestigious universities.
'Hitting rock bottom' is not a common crisis to everyone, and no such level crisis is needed to receive God's grace

- Bill Gates -

Guda Lydia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guda-lydia.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Guda Lydia »

I think this is an oversimplification. Life is never this straight forward, it's a series of ups and downs and constant changes as well as immense patience. In my opinion and experience, it's a lot more than the three and its a constant process.
Amesthenerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amesthenerd.html
Latest Review: Stranded In The Wild by Gary Rodriguez

Post by Amesthenerd »

I feel like this cycle can also be true in life of people who are not Christian. People extend grace as well. I just had someone buy me groceries because I could not and it made me want to give back because I felt so blessed by it.
Yonefura
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yonefura.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Yonefura »

To a smaller extent I agree with the author on the first phase, that is a crisis leading to receiving grace. Some Christians just need grace to be revealed to them regardless of their situation. Also, the three phases described are really what we usually see but completing this circle has never been easy among believers; that part of returning grace to others.
Sushan Ekanayake

Gudamercy wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 15:32 I think this is an oversimplification. Life is never this straight forward, it's a series of ups and downs and constant changes as well as immense patience. In my opinion and experience, it's a lot more than the three and its a constant process.
There is a lot more to elaborate. And this is, as you correctly said, a simplification

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

Amesthenerd wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 17:24 I feel like this cycle can also be true in life of people who are not Christian. People extend grace as well. I just had someone buy me groceries because I could not and it made me want to give back because I felt so blessed by it.
You don't have to belong to any religion to go through these phases, and you can interpret them in your own manner

- Bill Gates -

Amesthenerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amesthenerd.html
Latest Review: Stranded In The Wild by Gary Rodriguez

Post by Amesthenerd »

Sushan wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 20:12
Amesthenerd wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 17:24 I feel like this cycle can also be true in life of people who are not Christian. People extend grace as well. I just had someone buy me groceries because I could not and it made me want to give back because I felt so blessed by it.
You don't have to belong to any religion to go through these phases, and you can interpret them in your own manner
Well said

Return to “Discuss "Grace Revealed " by Frederick J. Sievert”