Grace Revealed by a non-religous person

Use this forum to discuss the May 2020 Book of the month, "Grace Revealed: Finding God's Strength in Any Crisis" by Frederick J. Sievert.
BookBoyP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookboyp.html
Latest Review: Purges of the Soul by Cathy S Birn

Re: Grace Revealed by a non-religous person

Post by BookBoyP »

I have a friend that has also struggled with depression and has attested to the fact that this book helped in some way. He's not religious. So I think it helps.
jojo_21
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jojo_21 »

As it had been truly said that "Grace is the love and mercy given to us by God because God desires us to have it, not necessarily because of anything we have done to earn it"
So the book is good for any who has acceptance for the basic humanity that binds us all together.
It doesn't matter much if you're a Christian or not because the power that binds us all together is much greater than whatever religion you're following to reach out to that.
Arwa_here
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arwa-here.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Arwa_here »

Humanity and Empathy is whats binds us together in this world. Anything which helps us increase these emotions is good for us. Grace is a gift, and should be treated as such. But every human, whether religious or non-religious, can be helped by these texts, if they open their mind to it.
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

I don't think you have to be a religious person to gain peace and strength from a book that references the Bible. I think you just have to be open to different ideas and experiences and learn from others.
adeff1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeff1.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by adeff1 »

No matter your specific religious beliefs, I believe that you can benefit from this type of book as long a you're open to learning about new ideas from a Christian perspective. Even if you're nonreligious, you can still grow from this book and other books like it.
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennydelacruz.html
Latest Review: Relieved by Cheryl Richardson

Post by jennydelacruz »

I am not a religious person but I enjoy reading books that discuss about spirituality and connection to the higher source. Based on the reviews and comments here, I might consider reading this book.
ChainsawCat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chainsawcat.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by ChainsawCat »

Both "religious" and "non-religious" are pretty broad terms when you think about it. They each can cover a broad array of moral values, attitudes toward the human soul/psyche, degrees of willingness to consider challenges to personal belief, and interest in divergent points of view. So. Hard to say.
Bhuvana Subramanyam
Favorite Book: Lady Smoke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhuvana-subramanyam.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Bhuvana Subramanyam »

Manali_DC wrote: 29 May 2020, 03:26 I too am non-religious and not familiar with the Bible! However, the common theme in most religious books is goodness in human beings, kindness, being helpful, to bear a crisis or suffering with grace and fortitude. I agree with the previous comment that most readers would probably enjoy the book by looking less at specifics and more at the general message.
Yes, I agree with you. We should expand our mind and try to enjoy the book.
Bhuvana Subramanyam
Currently Reading:

Arwa_here wrote: 09 Jun 2020, 11:54 Humanity and Empathy is whats binds us together in this world. Anything which helps us increase these emotions is good for us. Grace is a gift, and should be treated as such. But every human, whether religious or non-religious, can be helped by these texts, if they open their mind to it.
Well said! Empathy is the best quality anyone can have.
Bhuvana Subramanyam
Currently Reading:

BookBoyP wrote: 09 Jun 2020, 05:22 I have a friend that has also struggled with depression and has attested to the fact that this book helped in some way. He's not religious. So I think it helps.
Books like this give hope! In hard times, the most comforting thing anyone wants is hope. So, I think they do help.
Imperio
Currently Reading: A Man Called Ove
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imperio.html
Latest Review: A Talk with God, published book, Amazon by Lisa Mullins

Post by Imperio »

I think this is a really tough question that will largely depend on your tolerance for religion. I know people who scoff and easily claim the ridiculousness of people who choose to pray and rely on power that they can't see. If you are one of those people, I honestly do not think that this book will offer many worthwhile lessons. Grace Revealed largely recounts coincidences as signs from Heaven and the kind actions of others as the workings of God, when in actuality these things that helped others through times of difficulty may simply be coincidences and the kind actions of neighbors. Grace Revealed mostly speaks about the power of the Grace of God and the way in which it healed people going through tumultuous times, so I honestly don't think it offers tangible advice, help, or life lessons to nonbelievers. However, I would like to emphasize that Grace Revealed still does have the potential to bring solace through the stories of others. Reading testimonies about people who have been through the exact same thing is validating, comforting, and can even bring hope to those who have lost it. Reading Grace Revealed and relating experiences with these victims really has the potential to heal, whether that be indirectly through the doings of a higher deity or not.
Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jocelyn-eastman.html
Latest Review: Phoenix by Patricia Simpson

Post by Jocelyn Eastman »

AlphasFemale wrote: 28 May 2020, 15:52 Ok so I have just accepted Grace Revealed to review for online book club but first I came to the forums to see what others are saying about it. Now I do suffer from anxiety and at times depression and from what I gather there are stories in this book that heavily focus on such topics, along with other tough to talk about things. I have also noticed that a lot of people who are reading and enjoying this book would consider themselves to be religious and I am not. So I have to wonder, is this book one that will still be beneficial for those that are not a part of the religious community or is it so heavily religious that others will not be able to find much enjoyment in it. My goal is largely to look for lessons or help that dose not focus on prayer alone as a solution.
In no way am I against anyone's personal beliefs I just am looking at ways that this book might help those who are not part of said communities and who have no interest in joining one. I know stuff like this is a controversial or "hot topic" so please do not think that I am trying to upset anyone.
I am interested in the opinions of others who have came reading this book for the same reasons. Who else here dose not subscribe to the Christian way of life and yet have found this book to be enjoyable and or helpful?
I am an atheist who just finished the book.

I will say that the book focuses heavily on following the Bible and believing in God and emphasizes that people will not be able to get through things without believing in God, which of course I vehemently disagree with.

But I will also say that it was refreshing to read people going through tough times and being able to get through them. Seeing the power of forgiveness and paying it forward to others. There are things in the book that I think transcend religion and there are Bible verses that I think everyone can read as inspirational quotes.

From an atheist lens of course I don’t believe that God exists, but I thought it was a good read despite my disagreements.
Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:

Zoe Luh wrote: 28 May 2020, 16:01 I'm also noon-religious. I haven't read this book yet, I've been debating it strongly because it seems like it has a powerful message, but I'm just not that familiar with the Bible. I think we could probably both learn from the book by looking less at the specifics of the stories and more at the general message.
You do not have to be familiar with the Bible. The story provides the Bible passages they want you to look at and read. I am an atheist who read this book.
Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:

AntonelaMaria wrote: 29 May 2020, 04:25
AlphasFemale wrote: 28 May 2020, 15:52 Ok so I have just accepted Grace Revealed to review for online book club but first I came to the forums to see what others are saying about it. Now I do suffer from anxiety and at times depression and from what I gather there are stories in this book that heavily focus on such topics, along with other tough to talk about things. I have also noticed that a lot of people who are reading and enjoying this book would consider themselves to be religious and I am not. So I have to wonder, is this book one that will still be beneficial for those that are not a part of the religious community or is it so heavily religious that others will not be able to find much enjoyment in it. My goal is largely to look for lessons or help that dose not focus on prayer alone as a solution.
In no way am I against anyone's personal beliefs I just am looking at ways that this book might help those who are not part of said communities and who have no interest in joining one. I know stuff like this is a controversial or "hot topic" so please do not think that I am trying to upset anyone.
I am interested in the opinions of others who have came reading this book for the same reasons. Who else here dose not subscribe to the Christian way of life and yet have found this book to be enjoyable and or helpful?
I think the best answer will give you someone who is not religious but has read the book. However, I am not that person but I do wish to discuss this topic. I found it very interesting. If I have learned anything in my reading history is that reading is very subjective. So we may not have a "correct" or specific answer to your question. Maybe the best is for you to try to read it and see it for yourself.

My opinion is that better understanding of this book will have all readers who have some kind of religion or are spiritual beings. This book is heavily inspired by faith. So I am not sure how beneficial would that be for someone who doesn't have it. Now, I don't think you have to be heavily religious person.
I am an atheist who read the book and there are lessons to be had from it. I will say that we atheists would certainly understand the book, but would disagree on principles of faith. For example, the author says that you need faith in God to get you through hard times. Obviously, someone like me doesn’t believe that. While I don’t believe that, I understand that others need that. The moments that people in the book have of being born again That helped them get through I might have In my own way with humanity or in doing service to others that is not related to religion. It’s all just done with an absence of a god.
Grace Bela
Currently Reading: Jesus Calling
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-bela.html
Latest Review: Moon Luck by Wayne Scott Harral

Post by Grace Bela »

Zoe Luh wrote: 28 May 2020, 16:01 I'm also noon-religious. I haven't read this book yet, I've been debating it strongly because it seems like it has a powerful message, but I'm just not that familiar with the Bible. I think we could probably both learn from the book by looking less at the specifics of the stories and more at the general message.
With all of the Scriptural references and personal stories in this book, I don't think readers have to be too familiar with the Bible as long as they know a little bit about the Christian faith.

Return to “Discuss "Grace Revealed " by Frederick J. Sievert”