Three phases of a Life of a Christian

Use this forum to discuss the May 2020 Book of the month, "Grace Revealed: Finding God's Strength in Any Crisis" by Frederick J. Sievert.
TeachinTeens
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teachinteens.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Re: Three phases of a Life of a Christian

Post by TeachinTeens »

Sushan wrote: 02 May 2020, 22:36 According to the author, there are three phases in the life of a Christian; Facing a crisis, Receiving grace, and returning grace to others.

What is your opinion about this? Have you ever done it? Is it practical?
I feel this is an oversimplification. I think these phrases may come in any order, which means we might not always find ourselves first facing a crisis. I grew up in a Christian home; every Christmas, my grandmother would gift me a religious book. Had it been written in my childhood, I feel confident "Grace Revealed" would have found its way into the gift bag. Therefore, the concept of giving grace to others was simply a part of how I was raised to behave. Before reaching that age of accountability, my morality and behavioral patterns were built around this concept of showing God's grace in every action; there was no crisis to spur me. After reading "Grace Revealed", I think any crisis I faced even later in life would have to be considered minor at this point in comparison anyways. Christians are flawed people living in a flawed world, so there are constant crisis. There is also constant grace, and the constant intent to do right by others (if they truly do mirror Jesus).

Therefore, I don't see these 3 phases as being that of the development of a Christian. Things can be going great, such as they were for the lawyer in "Grace Revealed", and it still isn't enough without God. Things can be going horribly, as they were for the soldier in Vietnam, but he was still paying the grace forward without knowing until years later why his actions were important. While I think all Christians might experience each of these, I don't think they always go in this same cycle. They ebb and flow.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

TeachinTeens wrote: 08 Jun 2020, 00:31
Sushan wrote: 02 May 2020, 22:36 According to the author, there are three phases in the life of a Christian; Facing a crisis, Receiving grace, and returning grace to others.

What is your opinion about this? Have you ever done it? Is it practical?
I feel this is an oversimplification. I think these phrases may come in any order, which means we might not always find ourselves first facing a crisis. I grew up in a Christian home; every Christmas, my grandmother would gift me a religious book. Had it been written in my childhood, I feel confident "Grace Revealed" would have found its way into the gift bag. Therefore, the concept of giving grace to others was simply a part of how I was raised to behave. Before reaching that age of accountability, my morality and behavioral patterns were built around this concept of showing God's grace in every action; there was no crisis to spur me. After reading "Grace Revealed", I think any crisis I faced even later in life would have to be considered minor at this point in comparison anyways. Christians are flawed people living in a flawed world, so there are constant crisis. There is also constant grace, and the constant intent to do right by others (if they truly do mirror Jesus).

Therefore, I don't see these 3 phases as being that of the development of a Christian. Things can be going great, such as they were for the lawyer in "Grace Revealed", and it still isn't enough without God. Things can be going horribly, as they were for the soldier in Vietnam, but he was still paying the grace forward without knowing until years later why his actions were important. While I think all Christians might experience each of these, I don't think they always go in this same cycle. They ebb and flow.
Yes the phases can be mixed in their order, and also the in between time gap can be vary
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Xenolyph
Currently Reading: Flowers in the Attic
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xenolyph.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Xenolyph »

As a new Christian, it's very strange to adjust to the new life. It is something that takes a step-by-step process. I do feel that the first step is accepting there is a problem or facing what lay before you. Then you have to humble yourself and accept the grace God has before you can proceed.
Sushan Ekanayake
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now

Xenolyph wrote: 08 Jun 2020, 19:36 As a new Christian, it's very strange to adjust to the new life. It is something that takes a step-by-step process. I do feel that the first step is accepting there is a problem or facing what lay before you. Then you have to humble yourself and accept the grace God has before you can proceed.
To satrt off you need grace, and you will definitely be provided with it

- Bill Gates -

Wyzdomania_Gskillz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyzdomania-gskillz.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wyzdomania_Gskillz »

Whilst I agree with you, I do not however think that the author implies that thee phases must go in that exact order in a cycle. They are just a summation of phases that every Christian goes through one time or another in their lives that helps reveal grace, in any order that they come. Recognizing the significance of every phase is what is key
Sushan Ekanayake

Wyzdomania_Gskillz wrote: 09 Jun 2020, 05:16

Whilst I agree with you, I do not however think that the author implies that thee phases must go in that exact order in a cycle. They are just a summation of phases that every Christian goes through one time or another in their lives that helps reveal grace, in any order that they come. Recognizing the significance of every phase is what is key
That is true. The order might vary. What is important is going through them and sharing grace

- Bill Gates -

Arwa_here
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arwa-here.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Arwa_here »

I agree that the author presents a specific sequence of the stages of giving and receiving grace. But as everyone interprets a text differently, I think it's the same if someone goes through one phase before the other i.e these are interchangeable.
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

I think we receive God's grace most often when we are in crisis and feel that nothing we do is helping. For many of us raised in church, we have understood and probably received God's grace without a crisis, but we understand that when their is a crisis in our lives we can readily turn to God. Once we receive grace, it is easier for us to give grace to others. So the three steps seem appropriate except I am not sure you have to have a crisis to understand and receive grace.
Grace Bela
Currently Reading: Jesus Calling
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-bela.html
Latest Review: Moon Luck by Wayne Scott Harral

Post by Grace Bela »

Overall, I think the three phases work really well for describing a Christian life when experiencing struggle. However, this might not apply to everyone, so I'd hesitate to say it's a perfect description. God's timing in healing, along with how and when he acts isn't the same for everyone. Because a relationship with God is so personal and unique to an individual, there might be other ways to describe it that work equally as well.
Grace Bela
Currently Reading: Jesus Calling
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-bela.html
Latest Review: Moon Luck by Wayne Scott Harral

Post by Grace Bela »

Miller56 wrote: 09 Jun 2020, 14:03 I think we receive God's grace most often when we are in crisis and feel that nothing we do is helping. For many of us raised in church, we have understood and probably received God's grace without a crisis, but we understand that when their is a crisis in our lives we can readily turn to God. Once we receive grace, it is easier for us to give grace to others. So the three steps seem appropriate except I am not sure you have to have a crisis to understand and receive grace.
I agree with your interpretation. Just because someone experiences less hardship than another person doesn't mean that they necessarily have less God-given grace. While crisis are one way to draw closer to God and his grace, they aren't the only way.
Sushan Ekanayake

Arwa_here wrote: 09 Jun 2020, 11:50 I agree that the author presents a specific sequence of the stages of giving and receiving grace. But as everyone interprets a text differently, I think it's the same if someone goes through one phase before the other i.e these are interchangeable.
Though the author has stated them in a sequence for the purpose of better understanding, yes, they are interchangeable.

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

Miller56 wrote: 09 Jun 2020, 14:03 I think we receive God's grace most often when we are in crisis and feel that nothing we do is helping. For many of us raised in church, we have understood and probably received God's grace without a crisis, but we understand that when their is a crisis in our lives we can readily turn to God. Once we receive grace, it is easier for us to give grace to others. So the three steps seem appropriate except I am not sure you have to have a crisis to understand and receive grace.
Crisis is not always necessary to receive grace, but that can be a good stimulant for one to be reminded of grace.

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

Grace Bela wrote: 09 Jun 2020, 17:35 Overall, I think the three phases work really well for describing a Christian life when experiencing struggle. However, this might not apply to everyone, so I'd hesitate to say it's a perfect description. God's timing in healing, along with how and when he acts isn't the same for everyone. Because a relationship with God is so personal and unique to an individual, there might be other ways to describe it that work equally as well.
It does not apply to all in same manner or equal quantity, yet it applies to all, the God's grace!

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

Grace Bela wrote: 09 Jun 2020, 17:38
I agree with your interpretation. Just because someone experiences less hardship than another person doesn't mean that they necessarily have less God-given grace. While crisis are one way to draw closer to God and his grace, they aren't the only way.
There are many ways for one to be attracted to the God, and crisis is one of them. Being in a crisis or not His grace is always yours

- Bill Gates -

Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

Twylla wrote: 06 May 2020, 12:51 Not everyone finds God as a result of being in crisis. I dedicated my life to God as a child and I grew up in a Christian home. I have never faced any of the horrible situations that the people in this book faced. I have had my ups and downs in life, but my life has never been in ruins. When I was growing up and people would come to our church with flaming testimonies, I always felt like my testimony somehow wasn't as powerful. But as an adult, I think living a life close to God with a grateful heart demonstrates God's grace as powerfully as finding God in a crisis. I am grateful for the life God has given me.
This is such a beautiful and uplifting comment. While it is true that many people have had their faith catalyzed by hardships, I agree that a crisis is not a prerequisite for becoming a Christian. I think that if the author substituted “an awareness of one’s spiritual need” for the word “crisis”, I would agree with this evaluation more.

Return to “Discuss "Grace Revealed " by Frederick J. Sievert”