What stuck with you?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2020 Book of the month, "Grace Revealed: Finding God's Strength in Any Crisis" by Frederick J. Sievert.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Re: What stuck with you?

Post by AntonelaMaria »

kdstrack wrote: 29 May 2020, 17:29 I was amazed by the resilience of the human spirit. Some of the stories were overwhelming. The protagonists described how, by turning to and trusting in God, they were able to overcome obstacles and forgive others. We are never alone.
I agree the book is very overwhelming. There are many examples of perseverance, trial, and tribulations and they overcame it all. Overall, hope and positivity is strong with this book.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

spencermack wrote: 29 May 2020, 18:53 I think any story that can be reflected upon will leave a mark. Whether it is shared with others or not it is vitally important for everyone to learn from stories.
100 %!! And this is one of those stories.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

HeatDods22 wrote: 22 May 2020, 18:00 All of the examples in this book of God's love and His willingness to help us in times of trouble if we only rely on Him are very impactful. The author did a great job adding relatable Bible verses to each story that really helped me as well.
Although all of the stories in this book are moving, one of them really stuck out to me. Bob Uber's story is truly inspirational. A soldier in Vietnam, Uber really had a servant's heart. Even though he was had his plate full with participating in a war, he still took the time out to spread the gospel and hand out children's coloring and activity pages that his mother sent, making a big impact to those people.
Another thing that I found really moving was that while he was overseas, Bob Uber's wife would suddenly get a very strong urge to pray for her husband's safety. After he returned from the war and they talked about it, he realized that each and every time she had that urge he had been in immediate danger. I just thought that was so cool! God helps us in mysterious ways but it just fills me with such wonder when things like that happen in our lives.
This book is basically a book of testimonies of the Grace of God.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I loved how at the end of each chapter is a part -"a Time For Personal Reflection." The author asks questions that relate to the stories in that chapter. That is also something that got stuck with me. It fits the whole narrative.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I loved this quote fro the book "Sometimes it is difficult, even for believers, to trust God in a crisis situation because they think their own specialized training or knowledge should be sufficient. But it is not. I believe God allows crises to surface in people's lives to remind them that He is in control, so they don't need to be." It is really powerful.
Erandi Ekanayake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erandi-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Erandi Ekanayake »

It's a bit difficult task to piont out just one or two elements because this is one of the great books I have read so far. Anyway, I think positivity and faith in God remain highly among all.
Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

The weight of all stories combined! They got to me.
jhunt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhunt.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by jhunt »

There were a lot of very impactful parts of the book that stuck with me, but the strongest was the strength Jane showed throughout the book
Kemmy11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemmy11.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Kemmy11 »

brown_gal wrote: 24 May 2020, 17:59 One thing that I took away from this book is the ability of people to overcome the biggest obstacles in life. These people give me courage and strength. And also the way tragedies can have a lasting impression on the lives of people. We never think twice before uttering a seemingly lovely comment, which may or may not hurt the person. It has made me a more self-aware person in general.
I agree with this comment. the characters where inspirational.
Kemmy11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemmy11.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Kemmy11 »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 31 May 2020, 18:03 I loved this quote fro the book "Sometimes it is difficult, even for believers, to trust God in a crisis situation because they think their own specialized training or knowledge should be sufficient. But it is not. I believe God allows crises to surface in people's lives to remind them that He is in control, so they don't need to be." It is really powerful.
I agree with you on this. our troubles and issues are God's ways of a reminder to us.
glossy cherry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glossy-cherry.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by glossy cherry »

The one thing that stuck with me from the book was the strength of people going through a crisis. Any problem leaves a significant impact on people, whether mental or physical. And how they overcome it through their faith in God is commendable. Their strength is what stuck with me.
anoushka_thakur
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anoushka-thakur.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by anoushka_thakur »

There are some books that don't have a singular aspect but the book in totality sticks out and makes a greater impact on you. This was one such book that did amazingly.
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
Grace Bela
Currently Reading: Jesus Calling
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-bela.html
Latest Review: Moon Luck by Wayne Scott Harral

Post by Grace Bela »

Laura Lee wrote: 21 May 2020, 05:32 What a great question! I hope you get some more answers. For me, personally, it wasn't any one story in particular but the combined weight of them all underscored that no matter what happens in life, you can trust the Creator to provide and sustain. No matter what happens, the Creator of all will carry you through. In toto, the stories and the Bible verses in the book remind me of Psalm 37:39 & 40:

"The salvation of the righteous is from the Lord;
He is their strength in the time of trouble.
And the Lord shall help them and deliver them;
He shall deliver them from the wicked,
And save them,
Because they trust in Him."
I completely agree! Every story in this book worked so well together to create a beautiful picture of who God is and his love for us. The Scripture throughout the chapters made everything so much more comforting.
Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jocelyn-eastman.html
Latest Review: Phoenix by Patricia Simpson

Post by Jocelyn Eastman »

Halibean2428 wrote: 20 May 2020, 09:03 In every book, there’s one thing that truly sticks with you. What stuck with you in this book?
I think what stuck with me was how much the Bible has practice wisdom in it. There’s a lot I disagree with on principle, but there are a lot of good pieces of advice as well.
Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jocelyn-eastman.html
Latest Review: Phoenix by Patricia Simpson

Post by Jocelyn Eastman »

Kemmy11 wrote: 06 Jun 2020, 12:16
brown_gal wrote: 24 May 2020, 17:59 One thing that I took away from this book is the ability of people to overcome the biggest obstacles in life. These people give me courage and strength. And also the way tragedies can have a lasting impression on the lives of people. We never think twice before uttering a seemingly lovely comment, which may or may not hurt the person. It has made me a more self-aware person in general.
I agree with this comment. the characters where inspirational.
This part stuck with me too. The fact that all of these people overcame was inspirational.

Return to “Discuss "Grace Revealed " by Frederick J. Sievert”