Three phases of a Life of a Christian

Use this forum to discuss the May 2020 Book of the month, "Grace Revealed: Finding God's Strength in Any Crisis" by Frederick J. Sievert.
Laurakish
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurakish.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: Three phases of a Life of a Christian

Post by Laurakish »

There is a quote that says, "For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.” I believe that, yes, we suffer a crisis, we receive grace, but hardly do we return grace to others. We should adopt that last phase, and lets not forget, Grace is sovereign favor to the ill-deserving
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

sonya01 wrote: 10 Jun 2020, 04:06
Twylla wrote: 06 May 2020, 12:51 Not everyone finds God as a result of being in crisis. I dedicated my life to God as a child and I grew up in a Christian home. I have never faced any of the horrible situations that the people in this book faced. I have had my ups and downs in life, but my life has never been in ruins. When I was growing up and people would come to our church with flaming testimonies, I always felt like my testimony somehow wasn't as powerful. But as an adult, I think living a life close to God with a grateful heart demonstrates God's grace as powerfully as finding God in a crisis. I am grateful for the life God has given me.
This is such a beautiful and uplifting comment. While it is true that many people have had their faith catalyzed by hardships, I agree that a crisis is not a prerequisite for becoming a Christian. I think that if the author substituted “an awareness of one’s spiritual need” for the word “crisis”, I would agree with this evaluation more.
That term is more appropriate, since a crisis is not mandatory to one to reach for the God
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Sushan Ekanayake
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now

Laurakish wrote: 10 Jun 2020, 04:21 There is a quote that says, "For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.” I believe that, yes, we suffer a crisis, we receive grace, but hardly do we return grace to others. We should adopt that last phase, and lets not forget, Grace is sovereign favor to the ill-deserving
Returning grace is important, otherwise how the God will spread His grace through human beings

- Bill Gates -

Yere123
Currently Reading: Shantaram
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnwagu1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Yere123 »

In my life as a Christian, I see these phases as the truth. I grew up in a Christian home and did not know the value of Christ until I encountered my first crisis. Until then, I had just been fulfilling my duties as a good daughter.
MirageParul
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miragep.html
Latest Review: Hello God Where Are You by Sherryann Philogene
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by MirageParul »

Twylla wrote: 06 May 2020, 12:51 Not everyone finds God as a result of being in crisis. I dedicated my life to God as a child and I grew up in a Christian home. I have never faced any of the horrible situations that the people in this book faced. I have had my ups and downs in life, but my life has never been in ruins. When I was growing up and people would come to our church with flaming testimonies, I always felt like my testimony somehow wasn't as powerful. But as an adult, I think living a life close to God with a grateful heart demonstrates God's grace as powerfully as finding God in a crisis. I am grateful for the life God has given me.
Interesting point. I agree that a crisis is not a prerequisite to finding God. But when faced with a crisis, we should remember the three phases that the author talks about. Your story resonates with me, though I'm not a Christian, which only goes to show that God's grace is the same, no matter what guise it takes.
"I've realised that anyone can be a critic but it takes a remarkable person to offer praise."
-Louise Penny, in the acknowledgements section of "Still Life"
Sushan Ekanayake

Gift Nwagu wrote: 10 Jun 2020, 13:00 In my life as a Christian, I see these phases as the truth. I grew up in a Christian home and did not know the value of Christ until I encountered my first crisis. Until then, I had just been fulfilling my duties as a good daughter.
That is nice to here. Everything, even crisis, happens for good

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

MirageP wrote: 10 Jun 2020, 13:19
Interesting point. I agree that a crisis is not a prerequisite to finding God. But when faced with a crisis, we should remember the three phases that the author talks about. Your story resonates with me, though I'm not a Christian, which only goes to show that God's grace is the same, no matter what guise it takes.
Definitely. You don't have to be a Christian to feel the grace, and to return it as well

- Bill Gates -

glossy cherry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glossy-cherry.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by glossy cherry »

The three phases of life as a Christian helped me in growing as a person in spirituality and health. That is: Experiencing crisis, Receiving grace, and returning grace to others. When I shared my experience and returned God’s grace to others, I felt much more close to him. Everyone should follow the three phases, irrespective of their religion. It is noble.
Nedbrian
Currently Reading: Into the Hand of a Woman
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedbrian.html
Latest Review: Different Family Structures by Mildred Stallworth

Post by Nedbrian »

This is almost the typical life cycle of every human on earth if we have to be frank with ourselves. Truly, we all face obstacles in life and desire to overcome it anyway anyhow. Speaking from the Christian perspective, the only saving tower we always explore is God's grace which remains ever sufficient for everyone who believes. Speaking from experience, there has been lots of times, i needed to overcome several hindrances and to achieve that, I called on and explored the grace f Christ and voila, I was an overcome. So, yes, it is practicable ad achievable if only we believe.
Sushan Ekanayake

glossy cherry wrote: 12 Jun 2020, 01:41 The three phases of life as a Christian helped me in growing as a person in spirituality and health. That is: Experiencing crisis, Receiving grace, and returning grace to others. When I shared my experience and returned God’s grace to others, I felt much more close to him. Everyone should follow the three phases, irrespective of their religion. It is noble.
Yes, it is a noble practice, irrespective of your religion

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

Nedbrian wrote: 12 Jun 2020, 09:02 This is almost the typical life cycle of every human on earth if we have to be frank with ourselves. Truly, we all face obstacles in life and desire to overcome it anyway anyhow. Speaking from the Christian perspective, the only saving tower we always explore is God's grace which remains ever sufficient for everyone who believes. Speaking from experience, there has been lots of times, i needed to overcome several hindrances and to achieve that, I called on and explored the grace f Christ and voila, I was an overcome. So, yes, it is practicable ad achievable if only we believe.
You have to be faithful as well as believe in yourself to this process to be successful

- Bill Gates -

Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jocelyn-eastman.html
Latest Review: Phoenix by Patricia Simpson

Post by Jocelyn Eastman »

Sushan wrote: 02 May 2020, 22:36 According to the author, there are three phases in the life of a Christian; Facing a crisis, Receiving grace, and returning grace to others.

What is your opinion about this? Have you ever done it? Is it practical?
I don’t think it’s just a Christian thing. I think even non-Christians get help in crisis and then pay it forward. I know I have. I think it is practical in the sense that people will help each other out of situations when they need to whether it’s from someone paying it forward helping or someone professional dishing out the help.
Sushan Ekanayake

Jocelyn Eastman wrote: 13 Jun 2020, 20:34
Sushan wrote: 02 May 2020, 22:36 According to the author, there are three phases in the life of a Christian; Facing a crisis, Receiving grace, and returning grace to others.

What is your opinion about this? Have you ever done it? Is it practical?
I don’t think it’s just a Christian thing. I think even non-Christians get help in crisis and then pay it forward. I know I have. I think it is practical in the sense that people will help each other out of situations when they need to whether it’s from someone paying it forward helping or someone professional dishing out the help.
Yes, these three phases are universally applicable

- Bill Gates -

Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

I think the stages in life vary from person to person.
Although I think these are very common and can be followed up for most people.
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

SophiaNd wrote: 06 Jun 2020, 12:15 In a way, I will say the three phases are almost through because we all go through something in our lives no matter what stage and we can only overcome it by God's Grace and when you have overcome something, you are now able to help someone else.
I agree with you. The experience really teaches a person a lot and he can pass on what he has learned to others who are in difficult times in life.

Return to “Discuss "Grace Revealed " by Frederick J. Sievert”