Who's Your Favorite Author?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
FatStu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Re: Who's Your Favorite Author?

Post by FatStu »

Stephen King, Dennis Lehane, Ben Elton, Michael Crichton, Michael Marshall Smith, Blake Crouch, JRR Tolkien, Thomas Harris,
Linda_bowling
Currently Reading: Ana
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linda-bowling.html
Latest Review: The Other Side Of Healing by Bonnie Fogler

Post by Linda_bowling »

One of my all time favorites is Nicholas Sparks. I have read most of his books if not ALL!
Kate Chopin is one of my favorite feminist short story authors.
Another author I have recently grown to like is E.L. James. I have her complete series of Fifty Shade of Grey and the movies as well.
I have a few others but I often don’t have favorites.
Munachimso_Nwaogazie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-munachimso-nwaogazie.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Munachimso_Nwaogazie »

J.K Rowling
drwcroaker
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: Brothas from Anotha Motha
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drwcroaker.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick
Reading Device: B07XR7CPXG
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by drwcroaker »

I have two favorite authors; John Steinbeck and Stephen King. Steinbeck writes prose that is simple and poetic at the same time. I get swept up in his words, characters, and world. Stephen King, on the other hand, is a very different sort of author. He may get a bad wrap from some critics, but you can't argue with his popularity. I've read several of his books multiple times and will likely read them again. King's writing voice is like a magnet that draws me into his stories and I can't break away, even during his most horrific scenes, and the truth is I don't want to. Unfortunately, King is getting along in years, and that means there will come a time when there won't be able to look forward to a new Stephen King novel. However, I've read some of the books written by his sons, and while their voices don't have the same magnetic pull, they are still quite good. So it is some comfort, I suppose, that the voice of King may live on after the master passes. Pray God this doesn't happen soon.
We’re gonna need a bigger bookshelf.
yapashley
Currently Reading: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yapashley.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by yapashley »

I love any good book regardless of who the author is. Hence, I have no favorite author, but as of the moment, I'm definitely loving Gayle Forman and John Green.
Nama Winnie
Currently Reading: One Way or Another
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nama-winnie.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Nama Winnie »

Kristen Ashley takes it for me. I have not decided yet on who comes second.
AlexisLib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexislib.html
Latest Review: The Girl Behind the Wall--Edgar Allan Poe, the Girl, and the Mysterious Raven Murders by Bruce Wetterau

Post by AlexisLib »

I absolutely adore Neil Gaiman. I want to read almost all his books (not sure I am interested in Ameerican Gods). Loved Neverwhere, Coraline, The Graveyard Book, and Ocean at the End of the Lane. Want to try Sandman. I am a writer so I understand imagination, but his imagination just astounds me, as well as his prolific ability to write.

I recently discovered Alice by Christina Henry and loved it. It was hard to put down and I read it quickly. Now waiting for the second book The Red Queen to arrive!
AlexisLib
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: The Girl Behind the Wall--Edgar Allan Poe, the Girl, and the Mysterious Raven Murders by Bruce Wetterau

Post by AlexisLib »

FuriousDestroyer75 wrote: 13 Jun 2020, 19:37 Honestly, I love a few authors, but I will settle on Jeff Kinney because he makes Greg's life bizarre and funny. He really understands this generation of kids.
I love his books as well! I remember when they first came out, they were so different and fun and fun to read and true to the age of the kids. It's amazing how many he has written/drawn too! I'm sure so many kids can relate to them.
AlexisLib
Currently Reading:

Post by AlexisLib »

In terms of classics, my favorite authors have been F. Scott Fitzgerald, Faulkner, Virginia Wolff, Dickens, Steinbeck, and Poe. Wonderful wonderful wonderful!
AllyBurch
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AllyBurch »

Since I was a child my favorite author has always been Nicholas Sparks. I am a sucker for a good romance story. He has a way with words and can always get a good cry out of you.
TasiWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tasiwin.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by TasiWin »

Kristen Ashley any time. Then there is J.R Ward.
_Alche+mist_
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by _Alche+mist_ »

My all time favorite is Mitch Albom. I have read most of his books and they are so amazing.
HClifford
Favorite Book: Seven at Two Past Five
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hclifford.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by HClifford »

Hmm. Near-impossible to answer but these three spring to mind first: E.M. Forster for his facility of language, Edith Wharton for her complex characterIzations (House of Mirth is a personal favorite), and Evelyn Waugh for his enviably massive cojones.
SenSen
Currently Reading: Never Let Me Go
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sensen.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by SenSen »

I think my favorite author is Banana Yoshimoto. Her writing style is beautiful and I like that, in all her novels, the line between imagination and reality is very thin.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
she_reads_too
Favorite Book: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Currently Reading: Artemis Fowl
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by she_reads_too »

C.S. Lewis for the depth of his parallelism.
Sarah J. Maas for her detail.
Alexandre Dumas for his storytelling.
Jules Verne for his innovation.

Return to “Discuss Authors”