What stuck with you?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2020 Book of the month, "Grace Revealed: Finding God's Strength in Any Crisis" by Frederick J. Sievert.
Imperio
Currently Reading: A Man Called Ove
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imperio.html
Latest Review: A Talk with God, published book, Amazon by Lisa Mullins

Re: What stuck with you?

Post by Imperio »

The one thing that stuck with me was the comfort that religion brought these people who were struggling. As someone who has struggled with one of the topics of the book, I have yet to receive such comfort by reaching out to God, but it is nice to hear how some people grounded themselves in their faith during a time of turmoil, developed a clear mind because of that, and then started on the deliberate journey of improving their situation.
Laurakish
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurakish.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Laurakish »

Always believe in God's grace. God does not forsake his people. That we should seek encouragement in our most vulnerable selves. In times of crisis, we should not give up but trust in God.
Laurakish
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurakish.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Laurakish »

God's grace is sufficient. He does not forsake his people and for that, we should seek refuge in Him. In tough times, in our most vulnerable selves we should not despair but trust in him.
Hames
Currently Reading: Worlines
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hames.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Hames »

No matter how bad the situation is God is always watching over us. We must have faith and trust him. There is always a way out. God sees and has a great strategy out for us all.
morijin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morijin.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by morijin »

The instances of sexual abuse in the book and how it affected the victims lives and how they dealt with
angela roura
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angela-roura.html
Latest Review: The Tempter's Bane by Kyle McCurry

Post by angela roura »

What really stood out to me was the message that we learn within Mary's story. The lesson that healing takes time. That trauma will pass. It really hit home with me, someone dealing with my own forms of trauma.
Lizziemarcel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizziemarcel.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Lizziemarcel »

What stuck with me is that with God is always with us,never leave nor forsake us.
I believe, that hard times don't last. And passing Gods grace to others is another one that got me stucked.
almeidabel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-almeidabel.html
Latest Review: The Juicy Fruit Man by LaMar Going

Post by almeidabel »

to me was the idea that I always can trust and have faith in God and his grace. Sometimes we struggle with many challenges that might put us down but if we truly believe in Him and His work everything will be fine cause he would never leave us alone.
taejin jin
Currently Reading: My "Enemy" in Vietnam
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taejin-jin.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by taejin jin »

What stuck with me were the sexual abuse situations and the trauma and the strength to survive of the victims.
Rabia Farooq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rabia-farooq.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Rabia Farooq »

As a sexual abuse survivor, the parts that covered this sensitive topic were difficult to read but i did find that once i had read them and had time to sit with them, it did leave me in a better place.
HusainNecklace52
Favorite Book: The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto
Currently Reading: A History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-husainnecklace52.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by HusainNecklace52 »

Great question!

What stuck with me is having faith, hope, and perseverance in the face of evil. It kind of reminded me of Harry Potter and how he faced Voldemort in the dark forest where he knew he was going to die. I really liked how brave Jane was in this story and how she overcomes her hurdles. I think that is really inspiring, especially during these times.
anaplasticCerebrum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anaplasticcerebrum.html
Latest Review: Milton at Monticello: Thomas Jefferson's Reading of John Milton by Kemmer Anderson

Post by anaplasticCerebrum »

Definitely the aftermath of sexual abuse and different approaches in trying to heal from it. I can't even imagine how difficult it is to retain faith after experiencing such depravity.
anaplasticCerebrum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anaplasticcerebrum.html
Latest Review: Milton at Monticello: Thomas Jefferson's Reading of John Milton by Kemmer Anderson

Post by anaplasticCerebrum »

HusainNecklace52 wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 02:05 Great question!

What stuck with me is having faith, hope, and perseverance in the face of evil. It kind of reminded me of Harry Potter and how he faced Voldemort in the dark forest where he knew he was going to die. I really liked how brave Jane was in this story and how she overcomes her hurdles. I think that is really inspiring, especially during these times.
Love the reference. I've even read some interpretations where writers will comment on the Christian themes in Harry Potter. Harry is arguably the Jesus of the books, and I could imagine Jane as a similar figure.
Laura Britos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-victoria2002.html
Latest Review: The Last Time I Saw Alice by Richard Kirschenbaum

Post by Laura Britos »

Fem187 wrote: 21 May 2020, 14:01 What stood out for me is that abuse is never a good thing to happen to anyone. But how we handle this unfortunate situations is equally important.
This is very interesting. How something so disgusting and awful can sometimes bring the best in some people and allow them to gain a certain strength that is unimaginable. To me it feels crazy that some people can take something useful and deal with this entire situation with determination, positivity and so forth.
Laura Britos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-victoria2002.html
Latest Review: The Last Time I Saw Alice by Richard Kirschenbaum

Post by Laura Britos »

anaplasticCerebrum wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 10:18 Definitely the aftermath of sexual abuse and different approaches in trying to heal from it. I can't even imagine how difficult it is to retain faith after experiencing such depravity.
Absolutely, the way people can find strength to hold onto something after such savage and inhuman acts is unimaginable.

Return to “Discuss "Grace Revealed " by Frederick J. Sievert”