Three phases of a Life of a Christian

Use this forum to discuss the May 2020 Book of the month, "Grace Revealed: Finding God's Strength in Any Crisis" by Frederick J. Sievert.
Ben97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben97.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: Three phases of a Life of a Christian

Post by Ben97 »

I was impressed by the phase of returning grace to others. I think that's so inspiring as I felt that we should all extend grace to others by showing love and kindness like the same way one experiences love from God when we are forgiven our sins and mercy during those times of crisis.
NellyDee29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nellydee29.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (French Edition) by Peter Liptak
Reading Device: OverDrive

Post by NellyDee29 »

I agree with the three phases, and how they play a major role in our Christian life. The first phase moulds us such that after a hardship we won't easily forget, when we look back at where we were from. The second phase receiving Grace shows us that despite all our short comings God can sent an angel amidst us to help us. Giving Grace comes within, as a christian, we should be able to show Grace to others as we were shown.
Mizrob
Currently Reading: Dying for Dominoes
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mizrob.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Mizrob »

During crisis it is easy to turn to God and of course, His grace abounds. But extending grace to others is the difficult part. No matter how hard you try, it can't be compared to God's grace.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

NellyDee29 wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 08:31 I agree with the three phases, and how they play a major role in our Christian life. The first phase moulds us such that after a hardship we won't easily forget, when we look back at where we were from. The second phase receiving Grace shows us that despite all our short comings God can sent an angel amidst us to help us. Giving Grace comes within, as a christian, we should be able to show Grace to others as we were shown.
Indeed my friend. Understanding this concept is the beginning of commencing it
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Nwaogazie Goodness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaogazie-goodness.html
Latest Review: The Harlem Story by Danny Holst

Post by Nwaogazie Goodness »

This is just so practical. It happens everywhere. And I think when it's time to show this grace to others, we shouldn't neglect it.
TCG
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcg.html
Latest Review: The Jewels Of The Rainbow by H.F. Snyder

Post by TCG »

Yes, those phases are familiar with every Christian, as they strengthen the faith of a believer.
anaplasticCerebrum
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anaplasticcerebrum.html
Latest Review: Milton at Monticello: Thomas Jefferson's Reading of John Milton by Kemmer Anderson

Post by anaplasticCerebrum »

From other comments, I see that this cycle may not be applicable or universal to every Christian. The last two steps remind me of an idea from Alan Watts who described the two types of Buddhas. I forget their names, but one was isolated and kept his knowledge to himself. The other was an "in-the-world" Buddha who could easily play the game of life and impart his wisdom to others.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

anaplasticCerebrum wrote: 11 Jul 2020, 09:12 From other comments, I see that this cycle may not be applicable or universal to every Christian. The last two steps remind me of an idea from Alan Watts who described the two types of Buddhas. I forget their names, but one was isolated and kept his knowledge to himself. The other was an "in-the-world" Buddha who could easily play the game of life and impart his wisdom to others.
I don't know how to say that in english. Those two are 'lowthura Buddha' and 'pase buddha'. The first one understands the truth in an era when people are searching for dhamma, so it is easy for him to teach it to others. The second one understands the truth all by himself when no one in the world has any idea about dhamma. So he is unable of teaching it to others
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
taejin jin
Currently Reading: My "Enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taejin-jin.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by taejin jin »

I wholeheartedly agree with the author on the three phases. I have experienced a lot of crisis' in my life and God has given me grace to get through all of them, even those I brought about by myself! Thanks for bringing this aspect of the book up!
Fernando222
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernando222.html
Latest Review: If Only by Elaine Blick

Post by Fernando222 »

These three phases are meant to be primary occurrences in our lives. Humans seem to have lost the better part of their very existence, or maybe its a trend. We face challenges every time. Our very existence and survival are testimonies to the grace of God in our lives, but what I can't seem to understand is why we can not reciprocate this kindness to a fellow human. It never ceases to amaze me.
Lynch kobe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lynch-kobe.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben

Post by Lynch kobe »

Maconstewart wrote: 07 May 2020, 12:47 I don't believe that crisis is a prerequisite to finding God's grace or Christianity. His most gracious act was giving His son's life as payment for humanities sins. That was given before any of us were even conceived.

We are able, and many do, accept that act of grace and become part of God's family of believers. Some go through life without any major crisis in their life. Others of us have seen our share. But, God is there with His grace and forgiveness for both groups...willingly and freely.
You know this sums up all my thoughts regarding this topic.I totally agree with you. Thank you!
Rael C
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rael-c.html

Post by Rael C »

The fact is,we experience God's grace everyday of our lives, whether we are in a crisis or not. Most times we tend to acknowledge the grace when we face a difficult situation which shouldn't be the case.

On returning grace to others, I have to admit that I haven't been doing that oftenly,just once in a while.I've been challenged to make it practical. Thanks for bringing this up.
anaplasticCerebrum
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anaplasticcerebrum.html
Latest Review: Milton at Monticello: Thomas Jefferson's Reading of John Milton by Kemmer Anderson

Post by anaplasticCerebrum »

Sushan wrote: 11 Jul 2020, 10:08
anaplasticCerebrum wrote: 11 Jul 2020, 09:12 From other comments, I see that this cycle may not be applicable or universal to every Christian. The last two steps remind me of an idea from Alan Watts who described the two types of Buddhas. I forget their names, but one was isolated and kept his knowledge to himself. The other was an "in-the-world" Buddha who could easily play the game of life and impart his wisdom to others.
I don't know how to say that in english. Those two are 'lowthura Buddha' and 'pase buddha'. The first one understands the truth in an era when people are searching for dhamma, so it is easy for him to teach it to others. The second one understands the truth all by himself when no one in the world has any idea about dhamma. So he is unable of teaching it to others
Thanks for clarifying! I feel like we might be in the latter kind of word, where people aren't searching for dhamma.
Doziesixtus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doziesixtus.html

Post by Doziesixtus »

The author is much correct on this. I think I'm currently passing through the first stage. Tho this isn't the first time I'm passing through this stage, the cycle is something that we always experience throughout our Christain life.
JeanyJean
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeanyjean.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by JeanyJean »

Sushan wrote: 02 May 2020, 22:36 According to the author, there are three phases in the life of a Christian; Facing a crisis, Receiving grace, and returning grace to others.

What is your opinion about this? Have you ever done it? Is it practical?
I agree with the author totally. Unfortunately as a Christian I handle crises very badly, am yet to be brave enough to face a crisis like a Christian should, with much faith and confidence in God.

Return to “Discuss "Grace Revealed " by Frederick J. Sievert”