Review by Elvis Best -- Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Review by Elvis Best -- Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by Elvis Best »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Our Autumn Years" by Arthur Hartz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What comes to mind when you think about the elderly?

Our Autumn Years, written by Arthur Hartz, is the author’s attempt to change how the world looks down upon the elderly. Arthur writes, “The elderly are more interesting than the pitiable and annoying cardboard representations of decline that they are often imagined to be.”

In the book, the author uses cartoons and commentary to illustrate that the elderly are just as interesting as everyone else. He argues that the elderly deserve attention and respect, not pity. And by putting them in a different light through his book, he hopes to showcase, with sensitivity and humor, the exciting inner life of the elderly.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed Our Autumn Years, as it changed my perspective of older citizens. If I am to be honest, I must admit that whenever I think of the elderly I only imagine a sad, lonely existence. But I forget that I, too, will one day grow old. However, after reading Our Autumn Years, I realized that all hope is not lost and that growing old also has its perks.

The one thing I liked most about the book was the inclusion of humor throughout, as it made for very enjoyable reading. Some parts had me laughing very hard, and I appreciated the author’s effort in presenting some serious issues in the form of humor. Take the following quote, for example: “I used to think ‘creaky bones’ was a metaphor."

I also enjoyed the exquisite illustrations, as they brought the author’s words to life. Furthermore, I found some of the words in the book to be profound and insightful. Take the following quote, for example: “For our first 60 years we improve our lives by adding activities - after that, by shedding them.”

Even though some parts were sad, the entire mood of the book was an uplifting one. It preached that there was hope — even joy — in living well, growing old, and dying. Consequently, I would recommend that everyone read this book, as we can all learn something from it. However, I wouldn’t recommend it to kids because some illustrations were slightly inappropriate for anyone younger than 16.

Indeed, there was nothing to dislike about Our Autumn Years, and so I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. Also, I believe it was exceptionally edited, as I found no errors in it. Lastly, I found no vulgar words, but a few illustrations were erotic in nature.

Our Autumn Years
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

Looks like this book is interesting as well as informative. Thanks for your insightful review.
do20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-do20.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by do20 »

I agree with you. Indeed, we need to respect and give attention to the elderly people, not pity. Thanks for your insightful review, I enjoyed it.
Imperio
Currently Reading: A Man Called Ove
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imperio.html
Latest Review: A Talk with God, published book, Amazon by Lisa Mullins

Post by Imperio »

"However, after reading Our Autumn Years, I realized that all hope is not lost and that growing old also has its perks." This line is pretty much the entire reason I want to read this book now. I definitely need this kind of hope in my life. Really great review! It was very engaging.
Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: All The Good Little Girls Keep Quiet by K. Kibbee

Post by Vic Chimezie »

I am sure you enjoyed this book. Thank you for very much for a detailed review.
Koltrast
Currently Reading: The Eye of Illumination
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-koltrast.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Koltrast »

Oh, I love the idea in this book, something that confronts the lie that once you're old it's all over. So many people are so busy hustling and bustling, and we don't like to think that life will end one day, that we have sort of forgotten a pretty significant group of people. Thank you for the review!
"Oh, how do you solve a problem like Maria?
How do you hold a moonbeam in your hand?"
- The Sound of Music
Lizziemarcel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizziemarcel.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Lizziemarcel »

I will love to read this book, because I have great regards for old age. I feel so bad when I see a young folk insulting elders.
Thanks for this great review.
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

I loved this book when I read. I also gave it four out of four stars to it. It's a funny book, but it also has a lot of sad moments. It makes us think about how getting old feels like. Thanks for the great review!
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

I reviewed this book too and I agree with you on every single point! The topic without humour would've been quite depressing. Hartz really does a good job. Thanks for the awesome review!!
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennydelacruz.html
Latest Review: Relieved by Cheryl Richardson

Post by jennydelacruz »

I enjoyed reading your review, Elvis Best. I always believe that we will gain wisdom by talking to old people.
I love the fact that the author incorporated some humor on the book that makes it light and even more enjoyable.
Samgum50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgum50.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Samgum50 »

Great review! I agree with you, this book totally changed my perspective on the elderly in society.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”