Review by Ms_Rita30 -- The Mountain and The Goat

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ms_Rita30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ms-rita30.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Review by Ms_Rita30 -- The Mountain and The Goat

Post by Ms_Rita30 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Mountain and The Goat" by Siamak Taghaddos.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A realization that hits most people in adulthood is that you can't always get what you want on a silver platter. There's the need to work before you earn, and in most cases, this requires creativity, planning, and resourcefulness. With this in mind, it is of utmost importance to find creative ways to impact children with this knowledge while they are still young.This is what Siamak Taghaddos has done in his children's book, The Mountain and the Goat.

The book is about a goat that showed kindness to the main character, who was neither named nor illustrated, by offering them some bread and water. In addition to that, the goat advised them to plan ahead. The story progresses by showing how the main character tried to follow the goat's advice, and the mind-blowing reward they got in the end.

The story was set by a mountainside. The illustrations by Zachary Cain were explicit and colorful. The story was written in short sentences using words that would be easy for kids to read. The book seemed to be professionally edited as I found no errors in it.

I particularly liked how the author explored different occupations, and the goods, and services they offered. He also passed on the message that money isn't the only thing that can be used to acquire desired goods or services—the barter system is still very much in play.

Being that there was absolutely nothing to dislike about this book, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. The author did an excellent job of passing the core message of this book in a succinct and straightforward way. Additionally, children would learn about different occupations in ways that are both creative and exciting.

I would recommend this book for children between the ages of 5 and 6 years as it contains the type of short sentences they're expected to develop. The book was also written using words containing the sounds that are taught at that age. Finally, teachers might find this book an interesting tool to teach speech marks, and the topic of a trade by barter to children.

The Mountain and The Goat
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Adrianna Melillo
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Revolutionary Mothers
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrianna-melillo.html
Latest Review: Spring Fed by Bill Plyler

Post by Adrianna Melillo »

"A realization that hits most people in adulthood is that you can't always get what you want on a silver platter. There's the need to work before you earn, and in most cases, this requires creativity, planning, and resourcefulness."

You certainly hit the nail on the head with this. This sounds like a fantastic introduction to working life! Great review!
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I really enjoyed this cute little book when I read. I agree with all your points. Great review!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: All The Good Little Girls Keep Quiet by K. Kibbee

Post by Vic Chimezie »

Thanks for the detailed and informative review. It is indeed a beautiful little book. I have to recommend this to my sister and her kids.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

A good way to teach children about different occupations as well as the need to plan ahead. Thanks for this review!
Ms_Rita30
Currently Reading:

Post by Ms_Rita30 »

Adrianna Melillo wrote: 13 Jul 2020, 14:30 "A realization that hits most people in adulthood is that you can't always get what you want on a silver platter. There's the need to work before you earn, and in most cases, this requires creativity, planning, and resourcefulness."

You certainly hit the nail on the head with this. This sounds like a fantastic introduction to working life! Great review!

I am glad you agree. Thank you.
Ms_Rita30
Currently Reading:

Post by Ms_Rita30 »

Elvis Best wrote: 13 Jul 2020, 15:22 I really enjoyed this cute little book when I read. I agree with all your points. Great review!

Yes, the book is a very enjoyable read. Thanks for reading my review.
Ms_Rita30
Currently Reading:

Post by Ms_Rita30 »

Vic Chimezie wrote: 16 Jul 2020, 07:39 Thanks for the detailed and informative review. It is indeed a beautiful little book. I have to recommend this to my sister and her kids.
Anytime. I am sure your sister and her kids would enjoy this book.
Ms_Rita30
Currently Reading:

Post by Ms_Rita30 »

Magnify3 wrote: 16 Jul 2020, 10:19 A good way to teach children about different occupations as well as the need to plan ahead. Thanks for this review!
My thoughts exactly. I can't wait for schools to resume so that my students and I can try it out!
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

This sounds like a lovely children's book with lots of interesting things educators can explore. Thanks for the review!
Ms_Rita30
Currently Reading:

Post by Ms_Rita30 »

Tomah wrote: 17 Jul 2020, 03:26 This sounds like a lovely children's book with lots of interesting things educators can explore. Thanks for the review!
Indeed it is.
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

This book has very important life lessons. I think every child should have a copy. Thanks for an excellent review!
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

I'm absolutely sure that my younger sister will enjoy the premise that this story is set in.
Great review.
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennydelacruz.html
Latest Review: Relieved by Cheryl Richardson

Post by jennydelacruz »

Sounds like a really interesting book that teaches great life lessons to children. I always believe in this statement - "Start 'em young!" Your review alone is wonderful and entertaining, I am sure that the book is equally fascinating.
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

This book seems to be nice and different. Thanks for your wonderful review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”