Lessons to be inferred

Use this forum to discuss the July 2020 Book of the month, "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.
anoushka_thakur
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anoushka-thakur.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Re: Lessons to be inferred

Post by anoushka_thakur »

Angatia wrote: 15 Jul 2020, 12:16 Mstrtim has a valid thought on this topic. One man's meat is another one's poison.
I agree with you. But not always is that scenario played out!
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.
anoushka_thakur
Currently Reading:

Marion Jepkosgei wrote: 15 Jul 2020, 12:21 I am an environmental scientist and the greatest lesson I learnt from the book is that nature doesn't forget and it definitely doesn't forget. So for us humans to co-exist in perfect harmony with the natural environment, we must stop interfering with nature.

And that the natural environment can do fine without us, but we can't exist without plants and animals. And so, in this age of climate change, we must atone to nature by stopping the injustices we subject to animals and plants. Everything on earth has a moral value.
I believe in that. With human interference things go elsewhere
anoushka_thakur
Currently Reading:

Priyanka2304 wrote: 15 Jul 2020, 13:03 For me, this story has a lot of potential in telling us about the true might of the nature. It's better not to mess with it. While I was reading this book, I was having glimpses of the movie 'The Happening'.
I agree, but why do humans not learn from their mistakes? why do we need books or movies to tell us that.
book_fanatic_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-fanatic.html
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato

Post by book_fanatic_ »

shynmr wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 07:25 I think the idea of leaving the natural world as unmolested as possible is one of the biggest lessons. Had the team not interfered with nature, their encounters with the wolves may not have been as harrowing. It's "do unto others as you would have done to you" applied to non-humans and has echoes throughout society. We are arriving to be more humane and this is a shining example of why and when that could matter.
Yes, I totally agree with you on that; do unto others as you would have done to you. Well said!
She read books as one would breathe air, to fill up and live. - Annie Dillard
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato
Ify_Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ify-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Return to Eternity by Jenni Barnett

Post by Ify_Reviewer »

Grant's sexual encounter solidifies the fact that no matter how preoccupied one can be, natural instincts like sex can creep in almost unannounced.
tjportugal
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjportugal.html
Latest Review: Mister Sleepy by Jane Alice

Post by tjportugal »

Priyanka2304 wrote: 15 Jul 2020, 13:03 For me, this story has a lot of potential in telling us about the true might of the nature. It's better not to mess with it. While I was reading this book, I was having glimpses of the movie 'The Happening'.
Tha's a lesson I would agree with. Nature balances itself and, therefore, acting against it will eventually have a set back.
And the analogy with the movie "The happening" was great.
To read or not to read? That's not even a question!
Samantha Gayle
Favorite Book: The Great Divorce
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-gayle.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon
Reading Device: B0BJLXMVMV

Post by Samantha Gayle »

I think the biggest takeaway for me is that despite best intentions, being human and temptation can overpower our the best of ourselves. Also, just because we set out with good intentions but fall prey to alcohol, sexual acts, mistrust, it doesn’t make us inherently bad or evil. It makes us human. And I liked that about this book. That it showed fault in our main character, but I still liked Grant!!
Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: More Hype Than Glory by Tom Hyde

Post by Teele »

The real intrinsic nature of humans is exposed when least expected.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

shynmr wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 07:25 I think the idea of leaving the natural world as unmolested as possible is one of the biggest lessons. Had the team not interfered with nature, their encounters with the wolves may not have been as harrowing. It's "do unto others as you would have done to you" applied to non-humans and has echoes throughout society. We are arriving to be more humane and this is a shining example of why and when that could matter.
It is a beautiful thought :tiphat:
Unique Ego
Favorite Book: The Tales of Little Lady M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Unique Ego »

Every man has primal desires and no matter how intelligent a man is, he must fall back to his original state of an animal relying only on instincts.
do20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-do20.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by do20 »

Self-discipline is a great virtue if you want to achieve something big. In addition, human beings and nature can find a way of communicating. In fact what we give to nature always comes back to us. Hence, it will be of our benefit to behave well and not against nature.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Leen282 wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 14:07 For me, the lesson would be that we cannot underestimate the power of nature, plants, flowers - and we don't even have to look at extreme situations like in the book, it would be good already if humans respect nature and everything it gives to us.
Well said, I could not agree more! We humans tend to think we are in control but I dare to say the truth is quite the opposite.
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Essywa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essywa.html
Latest Review: ...on your way home...Do This by George Six

Post by Essywa »

Ify_Reviewer wrote: 16 Jul 2020, 06:47 Grant's sexual encounter solidifies the fact that no matter how preoccupied one can be, natural instincts like sex can creep in almost unannounced.
I do agree with you and it is human nature.
anoushka_thakur
Currently Reading:

Sgpope01 wrote: 16 Jul 2020, 09:38 I think the biggest takeaway for me is that despite best intentions, being human and temptation can overpower our the best of ourselves. Also, just because we set out with good intentions but fall prey to alcohol, sexual acts, mistrust, it doesn’t make us inherently bad or evil. It makes us human. And I liked that about this book. That it showed fault in our main character, but I still liked Grant!!
That is correct, but when these acts result in the downfall, we tend to blame the stuff.
anoushka_thakur
Currently Reading:

do20 wrote: 17 Jul 2020, 06:26 Self-discipline is a great virtue if you want to achieve something big. In addition, human beings and nature can find a way of communicating. In fact what we give to nature always comes back to us. Hence, it will be of our benefit to behave well and not against nature.
That is so true...

Return to “Discuss "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker”