Review by BCSTATEN -- The Secrets of Living A Fantastic ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BCSTATEN
Currently Reading: Thunderstruck
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bcstaten.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Review by BCSTATEN -- The Secrets of Living A Fantastic ...

Post by BCSTATEN »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Secrets of Living A Fantastic Life" by Dr Allen Lycka, Harriet Tinka.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4.

In an inspiring and compelling volume, authors Dr. Allen Lycka and Harriet Tinka reveal their hard-learned lessons from their own brushes with death. Organized into 13 "Golden Pearls," each chapter of The Secrets of Living a Fantastic Life features an honest and encouraging conversation between Harriet, a former model, counselor, and trauma survivor and Dr. Lycka, a world-class cosmetic dermatologist mistakenly diagnosed with ALS. In these pages, the reader is given insight into the wisdom acquired by each of them from their own experiences, as well as inspirational quotes and anecdotes to accompany the overall theme of each chapter.

The format of this book, content divided into dialogue, is easily digestible, making it accessible to a wide range of readers. Unlike many self-help books, it reads like an honest recapitulation of hard-earned life lessons rather than pushy advice or a sermon. As a result, it is highly positive and leaves the reader with the impression that he or she really ought to try the approaches and techniques described in the volume.

What I liked most about this book was the parallelism drawn between the two authors. It was intriguing and refreshing to have the stories of an older man with "Doctor" in front of his name and a young woman told side-by-side in such a respectful and comparable way. At no point was either author ever revered as superior to the other, making for a more relevant experience for the reader.

What I liked disliked most about this book is the extravagantly idealistic tone in which it was written. Many people reading books such as these, as acknowledged by the authors in the introduction, are often down on their luck or in the midst of misfortune. Reading something this bubbly could be discouraging or feel untangible to that reader.

I gave this book a 4 out of 4 rating because it is exceptionally well-written and well-organized, applicable to readers from all walks of life, and nearly perfectly edited. I found absolutely no typos in the entire book. In addition to the content of the book itself being exceptional, the resources in the back of the book are an asset to the reader even after completion of the work.

This book is the perfect book for someone who enjoys self-help books, inspiring stories such as those of the Chicken Soup series, or someone at a turning point in life. The intended audience of this book is anybody who has experienced hardship and wants to pick themselves up and improve themselves. For that person, this book is a perfect road map to do so.

The Secrets of Living A Fantastic Life
View: on Bookshelves
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

I have read this book, and can very well say that both the authors were real fighters. Thanks for the amazing review.
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

Insight from the wisdom of the expert. This would be a great academic read. Nice review
Ms_Rita30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ms-rita30.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Ms_Rita30 »

Whilst some people get trapped under the weight of their misfortunes, others see it as an opportunity to build themselves up and be better. Thanks to your detailed review, I can recommend this book to people going through a tough time.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

I've always wanted to read The Secrets of Living A Fantastic Life by Dr. Allen Lycka, Harriet Tinka. I will create time for it. Thank you for your review.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

I like that the book can help someone down on his luck. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Marion Jepkosgei
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marion-jepkosgei.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Marion Jepkosgei »

I read this book and I am still in the spell of wisdom the book issued out. I appreciate life more than ever. Nice review!
LiLj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilj.html
Latest Review: The Two Worlds in Which we Live Physical and Spiritual by Evelyn Rozier

Post by LiLj »

Thank you for your review, this book sounds like a really inspiring story.
Josep22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josep22.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Josep22 »

I agree with your perfect rating of this book. I read it and absolutely loved it.
Ilovread
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ilovread »

I love books that are inspiring so I’m definitely going to check this one out
Redster

Post by Redster »

I read this book and totally agree there was a lot of parallelism between the authors.
Jeffr23

Post by Jeffr23 »

Good review it is nice that the idealistic tone of the book didn’t get in the way of your reading
Funtevre

Post by Funtevre »

I read this book and I have to agree, I would also give it a perfect rating.
Aceplay

Post by Aceplay »

Ah, I was looking for a good inspiring book thank you for helping with the search!
derialist
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-derialist.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by derialist »

I agree with your review. It is a great book, but I think the idealistic tone can inspire a reader too, it just depends on the reader's disposition.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”