Dan Brown or Agatha Christie?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Dan Brown or Agatha Christie?

Post by rahilshajahan »

Both of them are pioneers in thrillers and crime investigations. On Dan's side, we have his famous Robert Langdon Series and on Agatha's, the immortal Hercule Poirot Series. My favorites of their works include Origin from the former and Murder on the Orient Express from the latter.

I always try to figure out the villains or perpetrators of the crime after a few chapters in Dan's books. It's rather hard in Agatha's as there's often new evidence in every new chapter that tilts my finger away from previously anticipated suspects.

Who is your pick and why?
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
lucius1709
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucius1709.html
Latest Review: Salt and Pepper by Maria Akhanji
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by lucius1709 »

I'll have to say Agatha Christie. She's an absolute trailblazer within the genre and basically the godmother of the crime and thriller genres as we know them. That's not to discredit Dan Brown - he too is an innovative writer with that god-given knack for grabbing the public's attention. But he can't beat Christie.

Perhaps I'm slightly biased. I remember my grandfather, a doctor and a huge Christie fan, collecting all of her books and reading them obsessively.
rahilshajahan

Post by rahilshajahan »

lucius1709 wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 15:08 I'll have to say Agatha Christie. She's an absolute trailblazer within the genre and basically the godmother of the crime and thriller genres as we know them. That's not to discredit Dan Brown - he too is an innovative writer with that god-given knack for grabbing the public's attention. But he can't beat Christie.

Perhaps I'm slightly biased. I remember my grandfather, a doctor and a huge Christie fan, collecting all of her books and reading them obsessively.
I agree with you. Have you read any of Dan Brown's books?
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
Nhitra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nhitra.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Nhitra »

Agatha Christie. Not because Dan Brown is not good or anything but Agatha Christie is just amazing given the fact that not a lot of woman thrive with this kind of genre
rahilshajahan

Post by rahilshajahan »

Nhitra wrote: 29 Jul 2020, 12:48 Agatha Christie. Not because Dan Brown is not good or anything but Agatha Christie is just amazing given the fact that not a lot of woman thrive with this kind of genre
True. I think that makes sense. Which of her works is your favorite?
cookiedough
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cookiedough.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by cookiedough »

Dan Brown would be my pick. He creates amazing books full of mystery and suspense. The way he writes in detail and full of humor is also fun as a reader to enjoy.
rahilshajahan

Post by rahilshajahan »

cookiedough wrote: 02 Aug 2020, 20:18 Dan Brown would be my pick. He creates amazing books full of mystery and suspense. The way he writes in detail and full of humor is also fun as a reader to enjoy.
Which of his books is your favorite?
cookiedough
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cookiedough.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by cookiedough »

rahilshajahan wrote: 03 Aug 2020, 02:36
cookiedough wrote: 02 Aug 2020, 20:18 Dan Brown would be my pick. He creates amazing books full of mystery and suspense. The way he writes in detail and full of humor is also fun as a reader to enjoy.
Which of his books is your favorite?
Wow what a hard question! Angels and Demons would be my favorite. It was a joy to read and the artwork in the story for the mystery was fun to see. I would recommend it.
shirleym89
Currently Reading: Mirror, Mirror...?
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirleym89.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by shirleym89 »

It's good that you ask, because I am currently reading a book by Agatha Christie with a student of mine. We are nowhere near the end of the story, but the book however looks intriguing. I have never read any of Dan Brown's books, but I would definitely give them a try.
thebutterflygirl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thebutterflygirl.html
Latest Review: Karinya by Paul Drewitt

Post by thebutterflygirl »

Agatha christie.
My favourite is " The murder of Roger Ackroyd".
I have a separate compartment of her books.
And I've also read her emotional books through her other pen name.
( "And then there were none" is also really good.)
JoeyReader
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by JoeyReader »

When I was not a reader few years ago, someone recommended me to read Dan Brown's Da Vinci code, I bought the book from a newbie second hand bookstore, (removed by mod), well that's not important, what is important is that I could hardly proceed after after the man dies in the beginning of the novel. Everything was related to catholic culture and hence, I couldn't comprehend much due to which I lost interest. The next day I bought 'The murder of Roger Acroyd',began reading it and couldn't stop reading it until I finished it. The point of the matter is that if you're a newbie reader then pick Agatha Christie and once, you have developed a reading head then you pick Dan Brown.

PS - both of them are in the list of my favorites but I am drawing a distinction between the two. I did read all the novels of Dan Brown later when I developed my reading hobby, every novel was amazing including origin and Angels & Demons. I hope it was helpful.
Last edited by gali on 02 Oct 2020, 23:55, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed link
aby johnson
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Favorite Book: A Gentleman in Moscow
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aby-johnson.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B07FQ4Q7MB
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by aby johnson »

Dan Brown Fan all the way.
Smile, for better days are yet to come :D
MOONTRAVELLER007
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moontraveller007.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by MOONTRAVELLER007 »

Dan Brown for me! Because of the details, he gives and his humour is unique. it's always a pleasure to read his gems.
CharlieMax1516
Currently Reading: Put Comfortable Shoes in my Coffin
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charliemax1516.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by CharlieMax1516 »

I'm a fan of both for different reasons. Dan Brown is an amazing writer for more modern mysteries and no one can top Agatha Christie for classic mysteries. I would pick either depending on what type of mystery fit my mood at the time. You can't go wrong with either author.
"Life appears to me too short to be spent in nursing animosity or registering wrongs." -Emily Bronte
aby johnson
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Favorite Book: A Gentleman in Moscow
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aby-johnson.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B07FQ4Q7MB
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by aby johnson »

I have said this already but I didn't stress enough before about my opinion. Dan Brown is my favorite but I read some of Agatha Christie's works and I understood that she's like the founding stone in mystery genre and that we have a lot to learn from her. Starting to like Agatha more these days.
Smile, for better days are yet to come :D

Return to “Discuss Authors”