Review by Reader047 -- The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Reader047
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader047.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Review by Reader047 -- The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Reader047 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Fox" by M. N. J. Butler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Today, as predicted in the Religious books, brothers are rising against brothers, leaders against leaders, governments against governments, and nations against nations. The situation was not exceptional in the ancient world. The Fox by M. N. J. Butler is a well-woven, engrossing, and educational novel, written in the form of a memoir (a memoir of Leotychides). It gives an account of ancient political struggles and the fall of ancient Sparta due to prolonged wars between Sparta and Athens.

The plot of the story is set in ancient Greece—during the 4th century. At the beginning of this delightful book, we’re introduced to Leotychides (illegitimate son of a king)—from whose perspective we understand the whole tale. He narrates the happenings from his childhood to adulthood, and from being referred to as a bastard son of king Agis II to a most successful general in King Phillippos' army. Leotychides acquired his name “bastard son” immediately he came out of his mother’s womb. King Agis II turned down the claims that he was his biological father.

Despite Leotychides having been brought up in the palace, his life was full of ups and downs. At a tender age, he was taken to a flock institution—a rigorous training regimen for Spartan young men before they could join the army. It was unfortunate that his father failed to attend his pass-out, making people doubt his royal status. The conquest of succession began immediately King Agis II passed away, and his brother, Agisilaos, showed an interest to inherit him. Leotychides' desire to reform the then situation in Sparta made him fight teeth and nail with his uncle to inherit the throne.

The narration has been done in the first-person point of view, making it easier for the reader to read the minds of characters in the story. The plot was well developed, and this kept the story flowing and interesting. Twists and turns throughout this wonderful tale made me glued at the edge of my seat while reading the book. The author gave in-depth descriptions of events and places in the story, enhancing the understanding of the whole book.

While reading this delightful book, I almost lost interest in my way. It was lengthy, and the first chapters of the book were mind-numbing. The unfolding events in it acted as a motivation to continue reading the book. The other aspect of the book I did not like is how the author used uncountable characters with almost similar names. I also found it challenging while reading the Greek terms in the book, but this did not limit my understanding as the author provided a glossary at the beginning of the book.

The struggle between Leotychides and his uncle on the issue of ascending to the throne became my favorite section of the book. It brought back the story to life and made it more interesting. My least-favorite part of the book was when Leotychides graduated from a flock institution. His father did not turn out to celebrate with him as other parents did, making him feel lonely. It triggered heart-wrenching emotions while reading the book.

My most-liked character was Leotychides. He had likable characteristics that made him prosperous and successful throughout his life. For instance, he had a vision that one day he would restore peace in Sparta. He worked tirelessly to make his dream achievable. My least-liked character in this action-packed story was Agisilaos; he was self-centered and ready to do anything to fulfill his selfish interest in ascending to power.

Topics of betrayal, power struggles, politics, battles, education, and many more have been portrayed in the story. The writing style was well peppered with compelling events throughout the book. The author also did a great job while developing the characters—this contributed to the flow of the story from the start to the end. I liked the book’s cover; it could easily catch my attention toward reading it.

I wholeheartedly rate The Fox 4 out of 4 stars. The book was professionally edited, and its intriguing storyline could deserve nothing less. I recommend it to lovers of historical fiction books. The book is not fit for those who like reading short stories.

The Fox
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Josep22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josep22.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Josep22 »

I read this book and wasn't quite a fan, interesting that you found it great. I loved your review.
Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

This was the great fiction novel I enjoyed reading, great review.
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence
Reader047
Currently Reading:

Post by Reader047 »

Josep22 wrote: 09 Aug 2020, 02:12 I read this book and wasn't quite a fan, interesting that you found it great. I loved your review.
Generally, I liked this book alot. It was interesting, fully packed with actions, and it's cover caught my attention easily.
Thanks for your comment.
Reader047
Currently Reading:

Post by Reader047 »

Phelicia Gloria wrote: 09 Aug 2020, 02:13 This was the great fiction novel I enjoyed reading, great review.
I'm pleased that you also enjoyed while reading this great novel. Thanks for your positive comment.
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

Glad you read and enjoyed it personally it ain't my cup of tea. I love how your review is detailed and carries so much depth and explanations.
:techie-studyingbrown:
Reader047
Currently Reading:

Post by Reader047 »

DorcasToo wrote: 09 Aug 2020, 02:26 Glad you read and enjoyed it personally it ain't my cup of tea. I love how your review is detailed and carries so much depth and explanations.
:techie-studyingbrown:
Thanks for your positive comment. I really enjoyed it, it was interesting story.
Wuoketch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wuoketch.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wuoketch »

Nice review I see. It sounds an educational historical fiction. I hope you enjoyed it.
Reader047
Currently Reading:

Post by Reader047 »

Wuoketch wrote: 09 Aug 2020, 04:06 Nice review I see. It sounds an educational historical fiction. I hope you enjoyed it.
Thanks for your positive comment Wuoketch. There is a lot to learn from this book—it is educational as you've just said.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Historical fiction is not my thing, which is the reason why I never picked up this book for review, but it seems interesting and very engaging for fans of this genre. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: All The Good Little Girls Keep Quiet by K. Kibbee

Post by Vic Chimezie »

Lovely review from, I must say. It is both very detailed and very informative. Thank you this and for your recommendation.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I read historical fiction novels occasionally, but this one sounds too long and too detailed for me to enjoy at this time. Thank you for your thorough review!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Fuzzy Bunny Slippers
Bookshelf Size: 595
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Susmita Biswas »

I never enjoyed this book and returned it. Your review is insightful. Thank you.
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

While reading this delightful book, I almost lost interest in my way. It was lengthy, and the first chapters of the book were mind-numbing. The unfolding events in it acted as a motivation to continue reading the book. The other aspect of the book I did not like is how the author used uncountable characters with almost similar names. I also found it challenging while reading the Greek terms in the book, but this did not limit my understanding as the author provided a glossary at the beginning of the book.
The plot seems interesting, but I don't think I have the patient for slow chapters and so many characters that seem confusing.
Thanks for such a thorough review!
MeganDJ
Currently Reading: Mirrored Worlds
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megandj.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MeganDJ »

It is a great read for a particular audience, though unfortunately I'm not a part of that. I am so glad that you enjoyed it thoroughly! Thank you for your insightful and honest review. Happy reading :techie-studyinggray:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”