Review by Jessluvs2read3 -- Zona: The Forbidden Land

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jessluvs2read3
Currently Reading: F*ck Marriage
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessluvs2read3.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Review by Jessluvs2read3 -- Zona: The Forbidden Land

Post by Jessluvs2read3 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A missing uncle, a mysterious set of journals, and a dangerous expedition to a dangerous land. Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker is a fictional adventure story that will keep you reading long into the night.

Dr. Grant Taylor, a university professor and geologist from Chicago, receives notice that his Uncle Randall Taylor is missing from his latest adventure and is presumed dead. Upon hearing the sad news, Grant heads to his uncle's home in St. Petersburg, Russia to handle his estate. Some mysterious items including a set of journals detailing his last expedition are unearthed while organizing his uncle's things. Grant is introduced to his Uncle Randall's attorney and friend, Boris Ustinov, and the green-eyed beauty, Irina, his legal aid and botanist niece. Together, they introduce Grant to Colonel Volkov who was the only member of the expedition team to survive and return to Russia. Volkov tells him all about his Uncle Randall's expedition to a mysterious land known as Zona, which is near Siberia. He tells Grant of large violent animals, unusual plants, and mysterious landmasses that are present there. Volkov then shocks him by explaining that he believes Grant's Uncle Randall might still be alive in Zona. He asks Grant's permission to create another team to go on a second expedition to Zona. Secret journals in hand, Grant travels with Colonel Volkov, Irina, a team of scientists, a zoologist, a doctor and a group of highly trained security guards to Zona. Will he find his uncle and unearth the secrets of this forbidden land or return empty handed?

I found this book fascinating, and I enjoyed reading every page. One of the biggest things I liked about this book is the description Baker painted of Zona. For instance, I could picture myself in this mysterious land surrounded by strange and beautiful plants and intelligent animals. Second, the author did a fabulous job creating the many characters present in this story. I felt like I knew each of them inside and out, and they became like friends as I read more about their journeys during the expedition.

The only element in the story that I didn't care for was the violence that took place between the animals and the expedition team. For example, I was disturbed during the scene where members of the team were violently attacked when their camp was breached. I don't enjoy scenes of cruelty towards animals or humans. However, I now realize that it was necessary for the premise of the story.

I gladly give this fast-paced and intense adventure a 4 out of 4 stars. This book is extremely well-edited and captivates the reader as soon as they turn to the first page. If you enjoy an intriguing adventure with a mixture of science-fiction, romance and mystery, this book delivers it all. I would recommend this book to mature or adult readers due to some profanity and sexual nature present in some of the chapters.

Zona: The Forbidden Land
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
LiLj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilj.html
Latest Review: The Two Worlds in Which we Live Physical and Spiritual by Evelyn Rozier

Post by LiLj »

This book sounds good execpt for the sexual scenes. Thank you for your informative review.
Jessluvs2read3

Post by Jessluvs2read3 »

Thank you LiLj. Yes, but luckily they were not explicit. Just alluded too.
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

"he only element in the story that I didn't care for was the violence that took place between the animals and the expedition team" - Interesting that you do not like it. I thought is quiet unique way of writing this. And agree this is a fast paced novel which I also enjoyed.
Jessluvs2read3

Post by Jessluvs2read3 »

Ada Ling wrote: 21 Aug 2020, 15:02 "he only element in the story that I didn't care for was the violence that took place between the animals and the expedition team" - Interesting that you do not like it. I thought is quiet unique way of writing this. And agree this is a fast paced novel which I also enjoyed.
I’m so glad you enjoyed the book!
Luluwa79
Favorite Book: Peter and the Parachute
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luluwa79.html
Latest Review: Peter and the Parachute by Nicola Ridgeway and James Manning

Post by Luluwa79 »

This book seems interesting except for the violent scenes. Thanks for the review. :tiphat:
Always seek God in all your dealings and He will help you find the right path.
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: I Have Proof of a Higher Power by Ioan Dirina

Post by Harty Muli »

I equally think would enjoy the vivid descriptions used by the author to describe the world of Zona. Thanks for the enjoyable review.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I like the beginning of your review and I think you did a nice summary also. Personally, I agree that it was too bad that "bad blood" was caused between the animals and the people! I wondered if a lot of the violence would have been avoided if they had dealt differently with the animals. Nice review!
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”