Review by Olabode Joshua -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriv...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Review by Olabode Joshua -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriv...

Post by Olabode Joshua »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Galen Bray grew up knowing only two things: war and survival. Life in the Land of the Princes has been nothing short of a nightmare. Galen saw the beginning of the war as an eight-year-old boy - he's now twenty-eight, yet the war does not seem to be ending anytime soon. Luckily for him, his Great uncle upon learning of his existence, facilitates his migration from the war-torn Land of the Princes to the prosperous kingdom of Voulhire. Upon his arrival, he seems naive and overly grateful to Rowan, the man whom his uncle paid to get him out of the Land of the Princes. Nevertheless, there seems to be so much more to him than his naivety - especially as he seems to possess a mystically powered intuitive ability.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is a sci-fi/fantasy novel set in the fictional kingdom of Voulhire. It is the first instalment in the We are Voulhire series. The story is not fast-paced. Instead, it begins slowly, affording the reader ample time to settle in before the real action sets in. The story revolves around Galen Bray whose arrival in Voulhire is the crux of this entry into the We are Voulhire series. Following Galen's arrival in Voulhire, unprecedented events begin to happen - events which threaten his newly found peace. Initially, he seems to be far away from the action, but as the days go on, he is gradually being drawn into the centre of the hostilities.

I loved the pace and progression of this book. The author started with introductions by engaging the characters in conversations such as this one:
"I'm Galen..." I shook the man's hand.
“Galen?” he said. “Like a Galen of water?”
"Um... I guess so, yeah.”
Those conversations further developed the characters and made them relatable. The inclusion of the map of Voulhire in the book was ingenious. As a geography enthusiast, I was impressed and also able to visualize the places described in the book. The author also kept me guessing all through the book. Up until now, I still haven't known who is the grand villain even though I am fairly certain that Galen is the protagonist. I also loved the concept of Bio-imbusion and Bio-magic. It scares me a lot, but I'm not averse to reading about it in a book.

One thing I liked and at the same time, disliked about this book was the suspenseful manner in which it ended. It left me very high and dry so much that I'm itching to lay my hands on the next book in the We are Voulhire series. The catchy ending further points out Matthew Tysz's writing prowess. It was so descriptive to the extent that my stomach rumbled during the feast where "King Wilhelm watched them(the dancers) through the skeleton of the bull."

I thought it was a joke when the author said that this book "was written and revised with effort, with painstaking care, but most importantly with enthusiasm and love". I found the statement to be true. Indeed, this book is devoid of both errors and erotic content. However, I found one instance of vulgarity, of which I quickly realized that it was absolutely necessary to properly portray the concerned character.

Considering this book's excellence, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I didn't rate it lower because it ticks all the right boxes and possesses all the elements of a blockbuster. This is one book you don't want to miss out on if reading is one of your hobbies. Lovers of magic, science and fantasy will drool over this fantastic piece of creativity.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for reviewing. I've just finished this book too. But I think the villain is quite clear. At least, what Meldorath did to Eldus, a good man who thinks for his people, clearly makes that mage a bad guy. I'm just not sure if Meldorath will continue these acts in the sequels though.
Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: All The Good Little Girls Keep Quiet by K. Kibbee

Post by Vic Chimezie »

Wow! I am glad you found this book worth the read. I have been stalling on reading it..... I have no excuse now. Thanks for the engaging review and recommendation.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I liked Demetrius the monk the most among the characters and all the description of the big cities :) Thanks for this insightful review!
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I dont usually read sci-fi books, but I may try this one. Thanks for the excellent review, Olabode. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I’ve read this book and also have finished reading the second part. I must say that the author has done a great job. I enjoyed reading your review. Good one.
Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

This the latest book I reviewed too, indeed it's left me on a suspension too, otherwise great and honest review.
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

Great review, I am sure many readers can and will enjoy this book.
Mukukamm30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mukukamm30.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Mukukamm30 »

It's an interesting piece of work. Was really impressed with the supernatural abilities portrayed in Lord Meldorath.
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

I'm currently reading the book. Galen seems like a naive out-of-place dude. Man, I hope Meldorath dies a horrible death. Thanks for an awesome review!
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 676
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

I love how detailed the summary of the book is in your review. I too found Galen to be naive, but i like how curious he was as he toured the land of Voulhire. And his willingness to learn was a plus. Great review. Thanks.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 518
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: Supercharge Your Production with 5 Time Management Hacks by Lucy Ledet

Post by Mutai Marshal »

I am already drooling to read it since I've already chosen to review it. THank you for a fascinating review
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

When I saw this in my to be reviewed list, I had a good feeling about it, and your review proved my thoughts. Thank you 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Bio-imbustion and bio-magic, huh?! :eusa-think: Thanks for the insightful review. Sounds like an enchanting book, save for the ending. Great job!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
jokinyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jokinyo.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by jokinyo »

Matthew did good in his introductions. The characters and tge kingdom are well introduced.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”