Review by Moray_001 -- Make Me Tick by Nick Carr

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Moray_001
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moray-001.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Review by Moray_001 -- Make Me Tick by Nick Carr

Post by Moray_001 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Make Me Tick" by Nick Carr.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When Jim Kirby's rescue mission goes wrong and painful for most of the part, he didn't expect that his heroic act would make him cross paths with a beautiful spitfire, Jo Smith. Make Me Tick is a C/T/M/H novel written by Nick Carr and it is packed with timely moments of comic relief. We get to follow the gang which consists of Jim Kirby, Jo Smith, Inspector Danforth and Sergeant Miller as they race against time to discover the culprits behind the arson that nearly took Jo Smith's life. The reader is carried along throughout the story and has to think about the motives that surround the mystery and how great danger may be lurking ahead.

I love the pace at which the story kicked off and how the writer maintained it. There was no dull moment, not with characters that were witty and hilarious most of the time. I loved the banter between Jim and Jo and how they provided some comic relief. The twist at the end of the story was unexpected too but it went quite well with the title when I think about it.

One of my favorite lines in the story was, "we can't all be heroes because somebody has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by…" I found this line both funny and insightful because nearly everyone wants to be the hero and those who aren't trying to be heroes are usually considered to be underachievers. It made me ponder on it for a while and eventually, the meaning I got from it was that sometimes it's okay for someone else to have the spotlight but it doesn't make you less important.

The only aspect I did not enjoy in the book had to do with punctuation errors I noticed and I suggest the author work on those areas for some professional editing. It would make reading the book seamlessly enjoyable. I also did not find the whirlwind romance between Jo and Jim believable, I mean they went quite far in their relationship within just a week!

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because I enjoyed the storyline and the author's engaging writing style. However, if the editing is worked on properly, it might just deserve a higher rating. I would recommend this book to a mature audience because it contains some themes that are not suitable for a younger audience. Anyone interested in a crime novel with a dash of humor and romance would like this book but if none of those genres is your cup of tea, then you might want to find another book for your library.

Make Me Tick
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Manali_DC »

Crime and mysteries are my favorite genre. Thank you for a great review - it has left me intrigued and I might soon pick it up to find out more.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I do enjoy crime novels--especially when they have a dash of humor and romance. Therefore, I think I would appreciate this book. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

I would do with a mystery tale, whose characters employ humour to bring in comic relief. Nice review. 💫
Moray_001
Currently Reading:

Post by Moray_001 »

Manali_DC wrote: 12 Aug 2020, 13:19 Crime and mysteries are my favorite genre. Thank you for a great review - it has left me intrigued and I might soon pick it up to find out more.
Oh you should check this book out. You’re welcome.
Moray_001
Currently Reading:

Post by Moray_001 »

Prisallen wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 08:09 I do enjoy crime novels--especially when they have a dash of humor and romance. Therefore, I think I would appreciate this book. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Thank you for commenting. I’m sure you will enjoy this book.
Moray_001
Currently Reading:

Post by Moray_001 »

Kanda_theGreat wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 11:53 I would do with a mystery tale, whose characters employ humour to bring in comic relief. Nice review. 💫
Thank you so much. It’s a refreshing and funny take on crime and mystery. I’m glad you like it.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I love novels with timely moments of comic relief! And when a mystery and plot twists are involved, I am sold! A shame about the errors. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
book_fanatic_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-fanatic.html
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato

Post by book_fanatic_ »

It's good to see that the author maintained the pace, and the characters were witty and hilarious too. Seems like an intriguing read. Great review!
She read books as one would breathe air, to fill up and live. - Annie Dillard
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato
Moray_001
Currently Reading:

Post by Moray_001 »

Cotwani wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 06:53 I love novels with timely moments of comic relief! And when a mystery and plot twists are involved, I am sold! A shame about the errors. Great review!

Then you will like this book. Sure, the errors are there but they don’t take much away from the book.
Moray_001
Currently Reading:

Post by Moray_001 »

book_fanatic_ wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 10:25 It's good to see that the author maintained the pace, and the characters were witty and hilarious too. Seems like an intriguing read. Great review!
It is a nice book. Thank you so much for reading.
Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: All The Good Little Girls Keep Quiet by K. Kibbee

Post by Vic Chimezie »

It is a shame that poor editing detracts from the maximum rating this book deserves. Thank you for your detailed review and recommendation.
Moray_001
Currently Reading:

Post by Moray_001 »

Vic Chimezie wrote: 16 Aug 2020, 09:45 It is a shame that poor editing detracts from the maximum rating this book deserves. Thank you for your detailed review and recommendation.
Yes, the editing seems to get better towards the end of the book though. You’re welcome and thank you for reading my review.
Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: A Long Dark Rainbow by Michael Tappenden

Post by Dominik_G »

I'm not sure Make Me Tick is the right book for me as I tend to prefer more serious crime novels, however, I enjoyed reading your review. Thank you!
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

"we can't all be heroes because somebody has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by…". This line packs quite the punch. I am looking forward to reading this book. Thanks for an insightful review!
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”