Review by Sushan -- Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Review by Sushan -- Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Inca's human mom, who owns a cheese shop, has invented a new cheese. It has gained 'international level' attention, and as a result she has been invited to be a judge at a competition held by the world renowned cooking school, Le Cordon Bleu. That is how Inca and her detective team ends up in South Korea. What adventures await them this time? What troubles will be attracted to them due to Inca's snoopy nature? Will they come back in one piece?

Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi is the eighth book of 'Diary of a snoopy cat, The Inca Cat detective' series. My copy came with 120 pages, which contained Inca's diary notes from 10th to 17th of April in some year. The book is written by R.F. Kristi, illustrated by Jorge Valle, and edited by Melanie Lopata.

Since I have read the previous book of this series, I had high expectations when choosing this one to review. But I am sad to say that I ended up heart-broken. I could have rated this with a much higher rating since the detected flaws were easily correctable ones, but as this is a children's book I am unable to recommend this to be read in current condition. So I am rating this with 2 out of 4 stars.

There are many noteworthy good things about the book. It begins with an introduction to Inca's family and her detective team. So there is no hindrance for anyone to read this as a stand-alone book. It is written with short and simple sentences for the better understanding of the readers of the targeted age group. The descriptions are picturesque. The book is a bit educational at the same time as it provides some details about cats, dogs, South Korea, etc. Each chapter contains beautiful illustrations that will attract little children. Younger children can appreciate those drawings while their parents read the story for them.

When talking about the negative aspects, first of all, there is no mystery in this story, though the series is named as a series of detective fiction. Secondly, the author has mentioned the political discrepancies between North and South Korea. Providing such details to young readers might confuse them and the parents may have to go through the trouble of explaining it to them. The editing of the book is fairly okay, and I noticed only two errors. One of them is very minute, a missing comma, but the other one is capable enough to confuse the reader.
She gave him a warm hug.....
This quote is found in the 95th page of the book. Up to that point this dog to whom here referred as 'him' was a female dog. And after this point also, it is mentioned as a female dog.
Missy came to the guesthouse with Ye-Jun
There is no one named 'Missy' in the story until the 75th page and she suddenly appears with the above quote. Mature readers can easily guess who that is, but it can be confusing for the young readers. Since the author provides an introduction to the characters at the very beginning, this name could have been easily mentioned.

As I previously mentioned, in the current condition, I cannot recommend this book to be read by the target audience. This nice book has lost its value because of the above-mentioned easily correctable mistakes. With another round of proofreading and proper editing, I will heartily give a much higher rating for this book.

Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I’ve read one of the books in this series and I loved it. But sad to know that this particular book has many errors. Thanks for your honest review.
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

It's so sad to see errors decimate this book's rating. But overall, this is a very interesting book for children.
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

I have read one book in the series and, just like you mentioned, found very little mystery in it. It’s a shame, because I found the illustrations and the premise of this book lovely. Thank you for your great review!
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
Sushan Ekanayake
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star

Honest-reviewer wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 06:09 I’ve read one of the books in this series and I loved it. But sad to know that this particular book has many errors. Thanks for your honest review.
I too had a good feeling about this book series, until I read this one. Thanks for reading and commenting 👍👍

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

Olabode Joshua wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 07:23 It's so sad to see errors decimate this book's rating. But overall, this is a very interesting book for children.
Yes, overall it is a good story, and with a proper editing I am happy to elevate the rating. Thanks for stopping by 👍👍

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

espo wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 14:56 I have read one book in the series and, just like you mentioned, found very little mystery in it. It’s a shame, because I found the illustrations and the premise of this book lovely. Thank you for your great review!
This time it contains almost no mystery. Thanks for sharing your thoughts 👍👍

- Bill Gates -

Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

You are right, it is totally unacceptable to have errors in a children's book. I hope the author will rectify this. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Bh the way, how do you add quotations into the main body of your review?
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Sushan Ekanayake

Cotwani wrote: 15 Aug 2020, 15:19 You are right, it is totally unacceptable to have errors in a children's book. I hope the author will rectify this. Great review!
That is my wish too. It is a shame that the book looses its quality due to such minor mistakes. Thanks for reading and commenting 👍👍

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

Cotwani wrote: 15 Aug 2020, 15:20 Bh the way, how do you add quotations into the main body of your review?
I just quote them using the usual html coding system as shown below

Code: Select all

[quote]*****text*****[/quote]
So it will appear as follows
*****text*****

- Bill Gates -

Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

A very informative review for a children's book. Thank you.
Sushan Ekanayake

Sou Hi wrote: 15 Aug 2020, 20:12 A very informative review for a children's book. Thank you.
Thanks for the kind appreciation 👍👍

- Bill Gates -

LuciusM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luciusm.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by LuciusM »

So sad that you began the novel excited only to be disillusioned. Thanks for your review.
"To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from all the miseries of life"
Sushan Ekanayake

LuciusM wrote: 16 Aug 2020, 06:41 So sad that you began the novel excited only to be disillusioned. Thanks for your review.
Yes, I am heart broken. Thanks for stopping by 👍👍

- Bill Gates -

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”