Review by Imstaci-1 -- The Juicy Fruit Man by LaMar Going

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Imstaci-1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imstaci-1.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Review by Imstaci-1 -- The Juicy Fruit Man by LaMar Going

Post by Imstaci-1 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Juicy Fruit Man" by LaMar Going.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

War changes people. The Juicy Fruit Man is a tale of an army Ranger who served in Vietnam. Now that he has been discharged from duty on medical grounds, the physical demons of war are a thing of the past. Unfortunately, an even more formidable foe emerges. One that neither gun nor grenade can neutralise. Declan Noakes now has to perpetually fight the inherent mental demons triggered by the horrors of war. In a bid to silence his tormentors, Declan tries attending AA meetings, reading the Bible and simultaneously smoking and selling the marijuana he smuggled from Thailand. These demons become the excuse for his unethical and/ or illegal activities.

The one component of post war that he still truly treasures is family, particularly his cousin Rachel and her three children. In smuggling the marijuana (Thai Sticks/ Juicy Fruit), he enlists the help of Rachel and an army buddy named Ben Fisher. Betrayal is difficult to fathom from someone once considered honourable. When Fisher decided he deserved a commission for helping Declan, it gets complicated. Now, he wants the entire spoils. Matters are worsened when a pair of crooked Amtrak officers get wind of the potentially massive pay-out. They will stop at nothing to get the marijuana for themselves. Declan has to literally go back to war in order to keep his family safe and retain his Juicy Fruit.

I'm glad this book provided different vintage points from the perspectives of returning war veterans. There is that war vet who decides that living life to the fullest means using his army training to acquire wealth illegally. Another returns from war, finds a job, gets married and lives a life generally considered normal. One completely struggles to cope. They end up with no house, no job and no romantic interest. His or her life will probably be Post Traumatic Stress Disorder with no counselling and no hope. Another thought provoking discussion in the book is on the initial reason for war. Is it to help and protect other countries or to protect personal interests?

What I liked most about the book is the perfect pace. The writing style is unapologetic and blunt. The storyline has a very fluid flow. Given this pace, it is surprising that LaMar Going manages to maintain the suspense, thrill and mystery going. This showcases exceptional writing skills that are evidence of vast experience. The book in my opinion was professionally edited. I picked up a few minor typos.

As this plot has war, it is expected that there will be death. The author describes the killings in gruesome detail. There is profanity throughout the book. I must highlight that in light of the storyline and characters, the language is downright appropriate. I personally did not mind because I felt the doses of profanity and killings were right and were necessary in bringing the story to life. I would thereby recommend that this book only be for a mature audience and those that will not be affected by war, death and murder.

What I disliked most is the book title. Being unfamiliar with other LaMar Going's books, the title did not appeal to me. From the title alone, there is no way I would have been compelled to read it. I also wish that the special private book description didn't pre-empt the conclusion of the fight. It would have been better not knowing whether or not Declan survived and managed to keep the marijuana. Going forward, should I come across this author's books, I will be very eager to read them.

I rate this book, gladly, four out of four stars because frankly, I struggled to put it down. I kept getting that itch to know what happened next. Any rating under four stars is for me inappropriate for such a captivating and well written book. It is also evident that the author conducted in-depth research.

The Juicy Fruit Man
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: All The Good Little Girls Keep Quiet by K. Kibbee

Post by Vic Chimezie »

I am looking forward to the opportunity to read this book. Thank you for your detailed review and recommendation.
Imstaci-1
Currently Reading:

Post by Imstaci-1 »

Vic Chimezie wrote: 12 Aug 2020, 08:41 I am looking forward to the opportunity to read this book. Thank you for your detailed review and recommendation.
It truly is a great book. Don't let the title fool you it's a strong plot. LaMar Going did a fantastic job here. 😜
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3037
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I am delighted to read that the book is captivating. It handles a subject that is very important, and I am glad that two parallel stories were highlighted to address it.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Fuzzy Bunny Slippers
Bookshelf Size: 595
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Susmita Biswas »

I know about this book, and I loved the theme. Great review
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:
Imstaci-1
Currently Reading:

Post by Imstaci-1 »

Kibetious wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 04:44 I am delighted to read that the book is captivating. It handles a subject that is very important, and I am glad that two parallel stories were highlighted to address it.
Agreed! A very important subject.
Imstaci-1
Currently Reading:

Post by Imstaci-1 »

Susmita Biswas wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 03:19 I know about this book, and I loved the theme. Great review
Thank you 😊
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

This book is really gripping. I agree with you, the story is very fluid, that's something I really enjoy. Thanks for the insightful review! Great job.
Imstaci-1
Currently Reading:

Post by Imstaci-1 »

Kibetious wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 04:44 I am delighted to read that the book is captivating. It handles a subject that is very important, and I am glad that two parallel stories were highlighted to address it.
Absolutely! Thanks
Imstaci-1
Currently Reading:

Post by Imstaci-1 »

Susmita Biswas wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 03:19 I know about this book, and I loved the theme. Great review
Thank you
Imstaci-1
Currently Reading:

Post by Imstaci-1 »

gabrielletiemi wrote: 16 Aug 2020, 15:23 This book is really gripping. I agree with you, the story is very fluid, that's something I really enjoy. Thanks for the insightful review! Great job.
Thank you and thanks for commenting
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

I reviewed this book and boy, the pace took up very fast towards the end. It was quite a thrilling read! Thanks for an insightful review!
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

Wow! This sounds like an intriguing book that I would love to read. Great review!
Imstaci-1
Currently Reading:

Post by Imstaci-1 »

rahilshajahan wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 08:51 I reviewed this book and boy, the pace took up very fast towards the end. It was quite a thrilling read! Thanks for an insightful review!
Edge-of-your-seat stuff! Thanks for stopping by
Imstaci-1
Currently Reading:

Post by Imstaci-1 »

:tiphat:
Prisallen wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 08:22 Wow! This sounds like an intriguing book that I would love to read. Great review!
I am certain you will enjoy this one!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”