Review by Guda LM -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Guda Lydia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guda-lydia.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review by Guda LM -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko

Post by Guda Lydia »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Vouhire: The Fires of Virko is the second book in the series by Mathew Tysz. It tells of the story of Virko, the most industrious and productive city in Voulhire. Venden Hrelek's reign as Lord of Virko is coming to an end due to a terminal illness he suffers. Hans Hrelek, his son, is set to be his heir and next leader. Hans, however, has a sinister side and past that will prove to have detrimental consequences. He also seeks to control his childhood friend Kayden Morgan and tries to achieve this in a twisted way.

Galen is still learning and enjoying Voulhire when he finds himself on the path to Virko. He is coincidentally assigned a task to help secure his town’s future, by forging collaboration with Virko. Things take a different and lethal turn when he finds himself in a fight he did not anticipate. Demetrious, his trusted companion, in a mix of overconfidence and fear, makes an erroneous judgment that unleashes unimaginable evil upon Virko. It suddenly becomes a race against time to restore tranquility and sanity in Virko.

Matthew Tysz carefully describes each of the characters and in vivid details, making it easy to visualize their expressions, attributes, and movements. For example, it is easy and amusing to 'see' Galen’s simplicity and innocence compared to his companions and the people he encounters. The different scenes and settings are also in exquisite details, making the story wholesome and authentic. The introduction is also fast and tense, instantly hooking the reader. Each of the character introductions is intricate and in-depth, giving a thorough background and better understanding.

The aspect I love most about the book is the formatting of the chapters. Each is a character’s story, and this is evident right from the title. For example, a chapter named Folcro will exclusively tell of Folcro’s story and other associated characters as minors. However, as the narrative begins, the characters do not connect. Their stories though comprehensive, seem different, and it takes time for there to be a flow and relation. Nonetheless, the book gains momentum as the story progresses and concludes.

The book is excellently edited; I did not find any grammatical or spelling errors. The language employed is simple and straightforward, with a historical style. However, there are instances of profane words and phrases, as well as gruesome descriptions of battles and killings. This makes the book suitable for mature readers. I feel it takes time and effort to recognize the connection between characters and their relation to the storyline, in the initial chapters. I, therefore, give the novel a 3 out of 4 stars rating. Nevertheless, the book is indeed captivating and tense; it is a story of betrayal, search of power, and a collision between worlds. I recommend it to anyone looking for a suspenseful read full of mystical abilities and human determination.

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I’ve read this book and found it interesting. Thanks for your wonderful review.
Guda Lydia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guda-lydia.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Guda Lydia »

Honest-reviewer wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 23:15 I’ve read this book and found it interesting. Thanks for your wonderful review.
Thank you for your comments

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”