Review by Nerea -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 676
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Review by Nerea -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under ...

Post by Nerea »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the imaginary universe of the author, there exists Cosmos (the physical world) and Caromentis (the magical world). Some characters from the Caromentis visited Cosmos in pursuit of their interests. Wicked men in power from Cosmos adopted the cunning tricks of the mages from Caromentis and experimented those tricks on people in an “unethical, illegal, and monstrous” way. One of the countries that existed in Cosmos was Voulhire. It was famously known for its wealth. Unfortunately, on several occasions, the country experienced mysterious and scandalous events.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz follows two stories. One part of the story highlights the political, social, and economic events of Voulhire. The other part of the story talks about Galen Bray. Galen is a young man from the Lands of the Princes who visited Magnum Caelum (a town in Voulhire) in response to his uncle's request. What's the purpose of his visit?

The story enlightens the reader about the judicial structure of Voulhire and power-hungry men in Voulhire, who used magical powers to pursue their selfish interests. It also identifies and explains the roles of religious leaders in Voulhire. This is not a religious book, but there are a few religious beliefs or references shared in the story. Additionally, there are a few instances of sexual mentions and obscene terms in the material.

The writing style is excellent. I have nothing to complain about grammar or the book’s format. The author organized his thoughts well, which contributed to a steady narration flow. The book doesn’t have chapters. It’s divided into short segments. Each segment focuses on a character. The segments that narrate about Galen are voiced from the viewpoint of Galen in a conversational tone. The other segments are voiced from the viewpoint of the author in an informative and conversational tone.

I love the author’s imaginative ability. He diligently established events that took place at Hillport (A town in Voulhire that was attacked by an enemy from the northwestern territory of Voulhire). Though this is a work of fiction, the vivid descriptions of events and the geographical descriptions of different towns and cities featured in the story made the story sound real and thrilling. The characters are well-developed. Some characters are easy to connect with due to their humble and kind disposition. Others are hard to like due to their wicked perceptions.

I award the book 4 out of 4 stars. It’s an exciting and adventurous science fiction and fantasy book. The book seems to have been exceptionally edited. It’s a short read that’s straightforward. The language used in the narrative is easy-to-understand. Readers need not worry about terminologies because they are not numerous, and those that have been used in the narrative are defined within the characters’ conversations. I have no dispute about the book. The lesson that I drew from the story is that wicked inclination is one of the root causes of human suffering. Once wickedness is erased from among humans, there is going to be an abundance of peace.

Political and fantasy enthusiasts may wish to check the book. If you are sensitive to magic tricks, kindly skip the book.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Chikom
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikom.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Chikom »

Nice review!
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Honest-reviewer »

The author has done a great job in creating the magical world. I enjoyed reading this book. Great review!
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 518
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: Supercharge Your Production with 5 Time Management Hacks by Lucy Ledet

Post by Mutai Marshal »

Wickedness is truly disastrous. I think I like Galen based on a no of reviews about this scintillating read. I also love your review, informative and fascinating!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I liked two moment in this book - a mysterious notebook of Galen's late uncle and descriptions of Caromentis, the magical world :) Thanks for a great review!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Sounds like a charming book. Just wondering if no chapters but character driven sections makes a difference in the reading experience. See, I like figuring out how far I have yet to go, sometimes! But the book sounds like one I wouldn't mind reading anyway. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

Yeah, this book is flawless. I also didn't find any error. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to the next instalment. Great review!
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

It sounds like you truly enjoyed reading this one! I don't read science fiction, but I thoroughly liked your review. Great job!
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: All The Good Little Girls Keep Quiet by K. Kibbee

Post by Vic Chimezie »

Looks like my next read. I enjoyed reading your review as it was both detailed and insightful. Thanks a lot for the recommendation.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 676
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

Vic Chimezie wrote: 16 Aug 2020, 09:40 Looks like my next read. I enjoyed reading your review as it was both detailed and insightful. Thanks a lot for the recommendation.
I hope you enoy reading the book. I appreciate your kind words.

[/quote]
espo wrote: 16 Aug 2020, 06:54 It sounds like you truly enjoyed reading this one! I don't read science fiction, but I thoroughly liked your review. Great job!
It's understandable. Thank you for coming through.

[/quote]
Olabode Joshua wrote: 15 Aug 2020, 14:34 Yeah, this book is flawless. I also didn't find any error. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to the next instalment. Great review!
I'm still debating whether I will take the next book in the series or not. Thanks for your comments.

[/quote]
Cotwani wrote: 15 Aug 2020, 08:33 Sounds like a charming book. Just wondering if no chapters but character driven sections makes a difference in the reading experience. See, I like figuring out how far I have yet to go, sometimes! But the book sounds like one I wouldn't mind reading anyway. Great review!
No it doesn't make any differencein thereading experience, but it does in the book's format. Thank you for coming through.

[/quote]
Ellylion wrote: 15 Aug 2020, 07:40 I liked two moment in this book - a mysterious notebook of Galen's late uncle and descriptions of Caromentis, the magical world :) Thanks for a great review!
Nice. Thank you for commenting on my review.

[/quote]
Seroney_ wrote: 15 Aug 2020, 05:03 Wickedness is truly disastrous. I think I like Galen based on a no of reviews about this scintillating read. I also love your review, informative and fascinating!
Thank you for your kind words on my review.

[/quote]
Honest-reviewer wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 12:06 The author has done a great job in creating the magical world. I enjoyed reading this book. Great review!
I totally agree. And he didn't dissapoint in this book. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on my review.

[/quote]
Chikom wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 00:25 Nice review!
Thanks.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

Another great review of this book. I def have to check it out now. Great review!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
LuciusM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luciusm.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by LuciusM »

This is the book I am currently reading after a false start with the second installation. A very nice review!
"To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from all the miseries of life"
Reader047
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader047.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Reader047 »

I'm currently reading this book, it is interesting read. I'm glad that you also enjoyed the book. Thanks for this great review.
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

Even though the starting was a bit slow, the pace picked up very fast. Great job on the review!
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”