Official Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Paige Ziegler
Favorite Book: The Switch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Re: Official Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Paige Ziegler »

This book is exactly what I’m lookin for, it’s scary, it messes with my head, It has suspense. And that is why I love in books, this Worldlines is a very interesting book and it caught my attention right away. Thank you for giving me the chance to read this book.
LizPI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizpi.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by LizPI »

Thank you for your review! I've read and reviewed the book myself and I have to say that I agree with most of what you said, especially the repetition. It was nice to read repeated paragraphs when there were little differences to be found (a sort of game?), but when that was not the case I found it quite heavy.
However, I do not think that implies that we don't have character! Yes, it is likely that there will be instances of us deciding in a different way every time, but I'd say that the there will be more universes in which it went one way than the other (I know they're both an infinite number, but infinites can be of different sizes).
Kola+wole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kola-wole.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Kola+wole »

Multiverse always captured my attention whenever or wherever it is mentioned. Great review, I wonder how Gary will be able to exonerate himself.
Abhyarna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhyarna.html

Post by Abhyarna »

tjportugal wrote: 26 Jul 2020, 11:39 Parallel universes is an intriguing theme. But, sci-fi is not my genre. I'll pass this one. Thank you for the insightful review.
Along with sci-fi, it's an excellent work of fiction as well.
Abhyarna
Currently Reading:

Post by Abhyarna »

Kola+wole wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 16:13 Multiverse always captured my attention whenever or wherever it is mentioned. Great review, I wonder how Gary will be able to exonerate himself.
I got to exposed to the concept of a multiverse for the first time. This topic took my imagination to another level, I just loved it.
Abhyarna
Currently Reading:

Post by Abhyarna »

LizPI wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 09:51 Thank you for your review! I've read and reviewed the book myself and I have to say that I agree with most of what you said, especially the repetition. It was nice to read repeated paragraphs when there were little differences to be found (a sort of game?), but when that was not the case I found it quite heavy.
However, I do not think that implies that we don't have character! Yes, it is likely that there will be instances of us deciding in a different way every time, but I'd say that the there will be more universes in which it went one way than the other (I know they're both an infinite number, but infinites can be of different sizes).
I too liked how the same character in different worldlines would describe a place in exact same words, although it seemed a little upsetting, it just made it easier for readers to stick with the character even if the worldline is changed.
Abhyarna
Currently Reading:

Post by Abhyarna »

Paige Ziegler wrote: 05 Aug 2020, 10:50 This book is exactly what I’m lookin for, it’s scary, it messes with my head, It has suspense. And that is why I love in books, this Worldlines is a very interesting book and it caught my attention right away. Thank you for giving me the chance to read this book.
I can't agree with you more. I get goosebumps when I try to recollect the concept of the multiverse and lucid dreaming.
Abhyarna
Currently Reading:

Post by Abhyarna »

Chipochashe wrote: 30 Apr 2020, 18:14 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Worldlines" by Adam Guest.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gary commits murder whilst lucid dreaming. At first, Gary thinks that this is a harmless dream, but then his girlfriend’s mother, Mary, who is suffering from dementia claims to have seen him committing this heinous crime. So what if his dream was not a dream after all? What if he has indeed killed someone, just not in the worldline that he is living in? What if another version of him is rotting in jail for a crime he did not commit? Gary seeks the help of a physics professor to try and figure out a plausible explanation. Is there any explanation at all and can it be proven? This is the story of Worldlines written by Adam Guest.

Adam bases his story on the multiverse theory. In this case, one instance of Gary in another worldline takes control of another instance of himself who is in a different worldline and unintentionally commits a crime that the other instance of Gary will now have to pay for. The author did a good job of making it clear which Gary was narrating at any point in time. All the different Garys narrate in the first person, so the reader is privy to their thoughts.

What I enjoyed most about the book was the theory of many worldlines itself. It is not something I believe in, but it did make for interesting fiction. If that theory were true, then, in essence, we have no character, because at any point all instances of the choice we could make will happen anyway even if it is in another worldline. It was interesting though to imagine what I would do if someone else took control of my body and committed a crime. I would have no memory of it and I would be confident that I would never do such a thing under any circumstances. So how would I go about proving myself innocent?

I disliked the repetition. Following the different instances of Gary in different worldlines necessitated the repetition of certain scenes to show how they produced a different outcome. Other than that the book is well-written and has been professionally edited. The book was reviewed before, but a star was dropped due to poor editing. I am happy to say that the author took the advice seriously and had the book thoroughly edited. I did not find any errors. I did not encounter any profane language and there were no explicit erotic scenes.

I enjoyed the plot. The idea is quite intriguing. I do not think the repetition is avoidable. Since the story is interesting and the book has been edited professionally, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I think it will appeal most to people with a scientific mind. If you enjoy science fiction with a fantasy twist, this book is for you.

Worldlines
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
You have summed the book up nicely. I like your review.
Abhyarna
Currently Reading:

Post by Abhyarna »

3_roses wrote: 27 Jul 2020, 02:18 Reading about Gary committing murder in a lucid dream but Mary claiming to have witnessed the murder simply peeked my interest.

This review made me extremely curious.
It must have been enough to spike your interest as it gave me goosebumps.
Abhyarna
Currently Reading:

Post by Abhyarna »

The concept of the multiverse was new to me but now I find that it may connect various dots. I kind of buy the idea. It has given me different perspectives to look at life events.
Has anyone else felt while doing something that you have done it before? or been at a place before? has it anything to do with a parallel universe?
Abhyarna
Currently Reading:

Post by Abhyarna »

kelseydwf wrote: 26 Jul 2020, 23:16 The multiverse theory is interesting but, admittedly, a bit over my head. It's nice to hear that Guest presents this in such a clear and engaging way. I have heard such good things about this book, and I'm glad to hear some editing issues have been fixed. That's the sign of a dedicated author. Thanks for the intriguing review!
The author has done a wonderful job not only in penning down the book but in editing as well. I would add that some editing mistakes still remain, which are quite inconspicuous though.
Abhyarna
Currently Reading:

Post by Abhyarna »

angela roura wrote: 26 Jul 2020, 21:14 This sounds like a very mentally draining book! Great review though!
I would rather call it a psychological thriller
Menace Crypto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: Pandemic (The U.S. Pandemic in India) by Dieter Gartelmann

Post by Menace Crypto »

I've read the book and I really enjoyed it, I agree with the repetition, I found it tiring. What I didn't like again was what happened to Gary at the first wordline introduced in the book. He was completely innocent but still paid the price. Nice and honest review though, kudos.
NDeMeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndemeer.html
Latest Review: Sormara The Evil Tome by Sandra L. Reel

Post by NDeMeer »

I have read this book too, and I agree that the concept is fantastic! I actually quite enjoyed the repetition, as it reminded me of what happened to the "other" Gary. Thank you for this insightful review!
Happy reading! :techie-studyingbrown:
_Bokeh
Favorite Book: The King of May
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bokeh.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by _Bokeh »

I definitely liked this book. I love Physics and the idea of exploring how theories would work in real life intrigues me. I think the author is very intelligent to have come up with a plot that explores a concept that's complex on paper and makes it easy to understand. At the end of the book, I was convinced that we really do impact other worldlines when we dream, hallucinate or daydream 😂not my bad! Blame the author.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”