Review by Dentarthurdent -- The Mountain and The Goat

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review by Dentarthurdent -- The Mountain and The Goat

Post by Dentarthurdent »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Mountain and The Goat" by Siamak Taghaddos.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When you were four years old and your parents bought you ice-cream, it probably never occurred to you to save it for another time. This is probably because childhood is a golden age of imagination, filled with wonder and mystique, and to this fantastical realm of unicorns and tooth fairies is this "I'll eat later" ice-cream relegated; as mythical, intangible, and just as desirable as the former two magnificent beings.

The small seed of instant gratification as we grow morphs into various hindrances of discipline, like overspending, procrastination, and other forms of overindulgence. As you grow older, it gets increasingly difficult to train yourself to think of the future, and act in service to it all the time. Therefore, destructive habits should be nipped in the bud, corrected in the formative years, while the mind is young and malleable. If this is a lesson you'd like to start teaching your four-year-old, Siamak Taghaddos offers a very valuable helping hand in the form of The Mountain and the Goat.

The story is narrated by an unnamed main character who encounters a cheerful goat that gifts him bread, water and the advice to plan ahead. Throughout the book, we get to see what planning ahead means to this character, the choices and sacrifices he makes, and what he achieves in the end. The Mountain and the Goat is a wonderful book that teaches kids to see the bigger picture, be considerate, and plan creatively. This, aside from the beautiful, vibrant illustrations included, was my favourite element of the book.

There is always a way to use what you have to get what you want, one step at a time. This is illustrated by how the narrator trades what he has at the start to gain something else to barter with, until he ultimately achieves his goal, and only then does he rest. These strong values encouraged are the reason I find a rating of 3 out of 4 stars fitting. I loved that the work also shows that kids should notice when their parents need assistance, and help accordingly. Additionally, how it highlights the ephemeralness of instant gratification deserves more than two stars, not to mention the lack of errors in the work.

I had to leave out one star because I felt that the book did not emphasise to children to be kind even when they don't expect anything in return. All the kindness shown in the read is quite transactional, and even when the main character helps out their father, something is granted in return. Be that as it may, I feel that all kids between three and seven years of age would learn a lot from this book, provided the parent supplements the story with his or her own additional lessons. Older kids might find the work a bit too brief or unrealistic, and would spot quite a few story inconsistencies.

The Mountain and The Goat
View: on Bookshelves
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
LiLj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilj.html
Latest Review: The Two Worlds in Which we Live Physical and Spiritual by Evelyn Rozier

Post by LiLj »

This book sounds like a great read for kids, thank you for your informaitve review.
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I’ve read this book and I agree with your points. This is a great book for kids. Brilliant review!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I believe this book offers a strong message for kids, and the cover looks lovely. I am definitely going to read this one :) Thank you for this insightful review!
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:

Post by Dentarthurdent »

LiLj wrote: 15 Aug 2020, 01:24 This book sounds like a great read for kids, thank you for your informaitve review.
Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by!
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:

Post by Dentarthurdent »

Honest-reviewer wrote: 15 Aug 2020, 06:10 I’ve read this book and I agree with your points. This is a great book for kids. Brilliant review!
Thanks for the kind words! And I do agree; this is a wonderful book for children. Thanks for commenting!
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:

Post by Dentarthurdent »

Ellylion wrote: 16 Aug 2020, 09:01 I believe this book offers a strong message for kids, and the cover looks lovely. I am definitely going to read this one :) Thank you for this insightful review!
I hope you enjoy the book when you do. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”