Review by Josephe-Anne -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Review by Josephe-Anne -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival...

Post by Josephe-Anne »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Welcome to a land of magic, mystery, and adventure! We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is the first installment of the We are Voulhire series. The story begins with the plight of Galen Bray, who is fleeing his homeland for the promise of a better life in the Kingdom of Voulhire. Once there, Galen claims his inheritance – a blacksmith’s forge left to him by his late uncle. Everyone knows that Voulhire is praised as a prosperous nation entering its “golden age,” but power-hungry dissenters are rising up all over the kingdom, so trouble is brewing beneath the surface of this magnificent land. Mingled into the drama and madness of the kingdom’s physical world, the parallel universe of Caromentis also beckons to those who seek its ethereal wonders.

The title is very appropriate because several of the characters often gaze up at the skies above Voulhire as if mesmerized by its endless beauty. Likewise, the cover art depicts the moment when Galen arrives at the village of Magnum Caelum under that same canopy of twinkling stars. The orange title font provides a nice contrast to the blue background of the image. Additionally, an ancient-looking map is included to bring the story to life. The book consists of unnumbered chapters; each section centers around a particular character and is named accordingly. The chapters that focus on Galen are told from his first-person perspective, whereas the chapters about the other characters are told from the third-person viewpoint of an omniscient narrator. Magic is infused into the story as one of the major themes; other themes include mystery, philosophy, religion, politics, and corruption. Above all, this novel skillfully analyzes the very essence of the human condition.

The plot is complex; there are many characters and subplots interwoven to create a marvelous tapestry of spellbinding backstories. As I mentioned before, Galen Bray is a new immigrant to Voulhire. Arriving from the war-torn Land of the Princes, this humble young man is eager to make the most of his new opportunities. Even though Galen is the main protagonist, he shares the spotlight with an extensive cast of characters. To name a few, Rowan is the rambunctious and streetwise executor of Galen’s uncle. Rowan is also an infamous womanizer. King Wilhelm Arcolo is the benevolent ruler of Voulhire; he seeks to protect his flourishing country and maximize its economic potential. Midius Maido is the devious and lecherous chancellor (second in command to the king). Midius enjoys using his position and influence to torment others. Meldorath is an evil and powerful mage from the past; his resurgence is feared by the people of Voulhire. Eldus Alderman is a clever new lord who is charged with improving the city of Hillport in the wake of Meldorath’s destructive regime there. Each figure plays an integral role as the plot progresses.

There is so much to enjoy about this book. First of all, the world-building is excellent. The Land of the Princes appears to be inspired by medieval Europe. In contrast, Voulhire is a more technologically advanced society; it is similar to the Renaissance or Enlightenment periods with aspects of modern society mixed in. Second, the descriptions are clear enough for the reader to envision what is happening in the story, but some details are left to the reader’s imagination. Also, thanks to the author’s effective use of literary devices, such as exposition and foreshadowing, I found myself guessing and trying to solve the mysteries that began to emerge. In terms of religion, Christianity is discussed in the book. The text contains a few instances where vulgar language is used. Additionally, sexual abuse, sexual acts, and violence are mentioned but not explicitly. Nevertheless, sensitive readers will want to keep this in mind. The book appears to be professionally edited because I only found 1 error. My sole complaint is that there is no table of contents. The inclusion of this feature would have made it easier to track and pace my reading progress.

I was pleasantly surprised by how much this story resonated with me and how relevant the themes were to occurrences in my own personal life. At times, the more upsetting topics were a bit difficult to read about, but those passages made the story even more realistic and impactful. Matthew Tysz succeeds in his mission to entertain, and he rekindled my passion for fantasy fiction. I became completely engrossed in the story, and I began to ponder the mysteries of the universe. Therefore, I am pleased to award We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies 4 out of 4 stars. I highly recommend this book to fans of well-written fantasy and science fiction stories. Steampunk aficionados may also enjoy this novel. However, due to the mature content within, it is more suitable for older teenagers and adults. In any case, I am anxious to read the rest of the series!

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I read this novel and I agree with your judgment. In fact, I plan to go on with its sequels as soon as I have time. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Rashida10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rashida10.html
Latest Review: The path from backpack to briefcase 2nd. idition by R. William Holland, PhD

Post by Rashida10 »

You spared no details about the themes of this captivating story. Your review has triggered my decision to read this book next. Thanks for sharing.
Josephe-Anne
Currently Reading:

Post by Josephe-Anne »

NetMassimo wrote: 10 Sep 2020, 08:17 I read this novel and I agree with your judgment. In fact, I plan to go on with its sequels as soon as I have time. Thank you for your great review!
Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment.
:D
― Horace Mann
Josephe-Anne
Currently Reading:

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Rashida10 wrote: 10 Sep 2020, 11:13 You spared no details about the themes of this captivating story. Your review has triggered my decision to read this book next. Thanks for sharing.
Yes, this is an excellent novel. I hope you get the chance to read it. Thank you for your kind words.
― Horace Mann
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

Your review is really interesting and good. And this series is worthy of the attention and accolades it has been receiving.
Live and let live, baby.
Josephe-Anne
Currently Reading:

Post by Josephe-Anne »

AnnOgochukwu wrote: 11 Sep 2020, 05:37 Your review is really interesting and good. And this series is worthy of the attention and accolades it has been receiving.
I agree 100%! Thank you for commenting.
― Horace Mann
MeganDJ
Currently Reading: Mirrored Worlds
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megandj.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MeganDJ »

I absolutely loved this read and I am looking forward to reading the sequels to find out what happens next! Thank you for your thorough and insightful review! Happy reading :techie-studyinggray:
He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe - Marcus Aurelius
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

This book is a great introduction of the series :) The end it a little bit abrupt but it adds an intrigue. Thanks for a great review!
Josephe-Anne
Currently Reading:

Post by Josephe-Anne »

MeganDJ wrote: 12 Sep 2020, 07:53 I absolutely loved this read and I am looking forward to reading the sequels to find out what happens next! Thank you for your thorough and insightful review! Happy reading :techie-studyinggray:
I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series too! Thank you for your response.
― Horace Mann
Josephe-Anne
Currently Reading:

Post by Josephe-Anne »

:?
Ellylion wrote: 12 Sep 2020, 08:09 This book is a great introduction of the series :) The end it a little bit abrupt but it adds an intrigue. Thanks for a great review!
Yes, I was on the edge of my seat reading this one. Thank you for commenting.
😀
― Horace Mann
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your detailed review. I can see how much you enjoyed the book. Hope you will like the sequels as well :).
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

It was an awesome read for me as well. Thanks for an insightful review!
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
pablo10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pablo10.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by pablo10 »

Very detailed, in-depth review. I liked this one. However, I did find the pacing a bit slow. The sequels get better in my opinion.
Josephe-Anne
Currently Reading:

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Sou Hi wrote: 12 Sep 2020, 23:11 Thanks for your detailed review. I can see how much you enjoyed the book. Hope you will like the sequels as well :).
I hope so too! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.
😊
― Horace Mann

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”