Review by Ebby Brown -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ebby Brown
Currently Reading: Beneath the Muscle
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebby-brown.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Review by Ebby Brown -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End

Post by Ebby Brown »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Everything, no matter how great, is just a means to someone else’s end. Galen decides it’s now time to explore the capital city of Voulhire, to see whether its peculiar beauty will end his desire to adventure the remaining towns. We are Voulhire: Someone Else’s End by Matthew Tysz is the third book in the We are Voulhire series.

The author describes the Voulhirian Kingdom as weak and strong at the same time. Some weaknesses of the Voulhirian Kingdom include Wilhem’s generous heart and small mind that only focuses on helping refugees at the expense of his people’s safety while the Kingdom is gradually destroyed from the surface, for instance, destruction of Alcovia and Magnum Caelum by the Riva Rohavi. With an increased number of people possessing magic powers, Matthew’s argument that a person can only focus on either magic or physics is clearly seen in their acts of defense during attacks by their enemies, and this somehow strengthened their army, for instance, Meldorath defeats the Emperor of Lullabies with a bit more of advanced magic. However, those who only focus on physics are destroyed if they don’t run to safety.

The author further talks about insatiableness for power as well as patriotism in different parts of Voulhire, for instance, Meldorath manipulates Maido to crown Nartik as king of Voulhire, who will grant him access to the archives where he would retrieve notes of Javikun to help him teleport to the magic world. Despite their bad deeds to the Voulhirian Kingdom, Nartik and Meldorath still treasure and protect it from Emperor of Lullabies. Kayden of Virko also supports Alcovia in fighting the Riva because his town depends on resources from Alcovia.

The writing style of this book is thought-provoking because the plot of this story is unpredictable, for instance, when I thought that Meldorath was the only man feared by the Voulhirians then a new character, Emperor of Lullabies, who terrifies people more is introduced. This book is a fast-paced light read because of the few pages and action during wars in Voulhire. The use of descriptive words made me picture the scenes in my mind and felt like I was present in Voulhire with Galen, Demetrius and Rowan. The author picked the best choice of characters that fit the plot of the story well.

I really enjoyed reading this book but what I liked most was the twist in the outcome of the wars, for example, Meldorath saving the Soulhire from falling into the hands of Emperor of Lullabies, unlike my expectation of him helping the Emperor destroy it. The Riva running away when Kayden of Virko and his army of demons arrive to support Alcovia, unlike my expectation of the Riva staying put to fight. This book has 114 pages, and I could not find anything negative about it.

I rate We are Voulhire: Someone Else’s End by Matthew Tysz 4 out of 4 stars because it was professionally edited since i did not find typos, and the story had a flow. There were instances of non-borderline profane words but this did not interfere with my reading. I recommend this book to readers who like science fiction/fantasy with a bit of magic, adventure and action. If you don’t like murder scenes then this book is not for you.

We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Those twist of the plot you've mentioned are truly exciting :) I also loved the development of the characters in this book. Thanks for a great review!
Ebby Brown

Post by Ebby Brown »

Thanks for your comment @Ellyon, I'm glad you loved it too.
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

I haven’t read any book in this series, but because of the beautiful reviews I’m seeing, I’m seriously considering picking one up. I hear you must read it chronologically to make sense of it?

You’ve done a great job with this review.
Anusha Thatavarthi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anusha-thatavarthi.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore

Post by Anusha Thatavarthi »

I was also surprised by the character of the Emperor of Lullabies in this book. Great review!
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

Recently read it and loved it. I am glad you enjoyed it as well. Thanks for an insightful review!
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
pablo10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pablo10.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by pablo10 »

Very in-depth review. Yeah, I was surprised by Meldorath's decision to fight on behalf of the people of Voulhire too.
Ebby Brown

Post by Ebby Brown »

Christieee wrote: 12 Sep 2020, 22:57 I haven’t read any book in this series, but because of the beautiful reviews I’m seeing, I’m seriously considering picking one up. I hear you must read it chronologically to make sense of it?

You’ve done a great job with this review.
Thank you, I'm sure you'll love it too.
Ebby Brown

Post by Ebby Brown »

anua24060 wrote: 13 Sep 2020, 01:04 I was also surprised by the character of the Emperor of Lullabies in this book. Great review!
Thanks for your wonderful comment.
Ebby Brown

Post by Ebby Brown »

rahilshajahan wrote: 13 Sep 2020, 02:57 Recently read it and loved it. I am glad you enjoyed it as well. Thanks for an insightful review!
I'm glad you enjoyed it too. :tiphat:
Ebby Brown

Post by Ebby Brown »

pablo10 wrote: 13 Sep 2020, 09:41 Very in-depth review. Yeah, I was surprised by Meldorath's decision to fight on behalf of the people of Voulhire too.
The twist really made it more interesting. Thanks for the nice comment.
viczboy16
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viczboy16.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by viczboy16 »

I love the plot twists in this book. My favorite scene was when the assasin tried to kill the king but failed
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Ebby Brown

Post by Ebby Brown »

Viczboy16 wrote: 13 Sep 2020, 17:17 I love the plot twists in this book. My favorite scene was when the assasin tried to kill the king but failed
The assassin's skills seemed extraordinary. Thank you for your comment.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Tyzs is truly a master when it comes to surprising the readers. Many times I was left in awe as the events unfolded unexpectedly. This is one of the reasons I'm so hooked on this series.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”