Review by rahilshajahan -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Review by rahilshajahan -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of...

Post by rahilshajahan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are we about to see some MELDO-WRATH? The pun is intended. Is the second installment, The Fires of Virko, of this enthralling series, We are Voulhire, worth your reading time? Hell yeah! Matthew Tysz welcomes you to an abode of demons in this book. Avert your eyes from this review if you haven't yet read the first book.

Towards the end of the first book, we witnessed the wrath of the Riva Rohavi as they tore the small town of Hillport apart. The 'Demon Lord' Meldorath escapes his prison only to sit idle and feel betrayed by his once good friend, King Wilhelm. Do you remember that weird bio-mage who killed everyone with his mind during his trial at court; he was rather hard to forget. He is Alabaster, Meldorath's mentor. Let that sink in. We are introduced to Folcro, the fulcrum of the story. The pun is intended. Being the charismatic, bold, and persuasive character he is, he befriends Kayden Morgan, a prominent lord in Virko, who is stuck between his love for Peter, his wife, and Folcro. Quite the love square if you ask me.

So far, I've been ranting about just the new pivotal characters. The major scenes take place in the most industrious city of Voulhire, Virko. The land was a brainchild of the overworked and ill Lord Venden. Folcro, son of Lord Venden, is dabbling in dark arts of magic. In comes Galen, Demetrius, and Rowan, to redeem a favor from the bedridden lord, only to deem him a favor of saving Folcro from the demons lurking in Virko. This is the main plot of the storyline, and it was so gripping, it had me tearing the pages.

The impeccable character development had me rooting for all the main characters in the book. Galen, Demi, and Rowan are the trio of the year. Galen is a humble creature, never thinking twice when his fellow man is in danger. Rowan, on the other hand, has an arrogant smirk planted on his face like a permanent-marker-mustache but is serious when he wants to be. Demetrius is as insecure as he is mysterious. All of them felt relatable on multiple occasions. I was only a bit sad that I wasn't able to see Meldorath in action. But boy, having read the third book as well, I'm hyped! Hyped doesn't completely portray my emotions. I'm rooting for Meldorath, just putting it out there.

Tysz has done a wonderful job of building the protagonists as well as their surroundings. Each of them had their own morals and stayed true to their character. I enjoyed the idea of Alitheia(the realm of spirituality), Caromentis(the realm of magic), and Cosmos(the realm of humans) existing separately. The author’s storytelling abilities are top tier. I got a very Dan Brown vibe from the progression of the book. Matthew Tysz did a great job at showcasing events happening in several places at the same time. The only misgiving was that there was a burgeoning amount of new people and words. It became a bit difficult to keep track of all of the names thrown about and the activities that were taking place. I didn't dislike anything else though.

Considering the aforementioned points, I would rate the book four out of four stars. I don't want to drop a star because it was a trailblazer towards the end. The book was professionally edited. I found no typographical or grammatical errors. The book has a fair share of profanity but is completely devoid of eros. It does have a solid amount of gore. Oh, man! There's a character-defining scene of Folcro doing, probably, the most gore thing I have ever read in a book. I mean, who thinks of such things? If thrillers are your catnip, this is a must-read for you. Containing profanity and gore, I suggest that children stay away from this book.

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

I did this book sometimes back and I must admit it, Galen is still my favourite character
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence
A Y reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-y-reviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by A Y reviews »

I am considering taking this book for my next review. And on the strength of this, I am definitely taking it. It's full of action and excitement. Great review too.
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

I enjoyed reading this book too. For me, I love kayden in this book. I can't wait to see how he'd go crazy on folcro and the people who killed his family.
pablo10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pablo10.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by pablo10 »

Great review. I think you're going to be impressed with the sequels. If you liked Meldorath in this one, You're going to love him in the following ones.
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

Haha! The opening statement is very witty and actually made me laugh out loud.
I’d love to read on the adventures of Galen.

Lovely review.
viczboy16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viczboy16.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by viczboy16 »

Also read this book. The author really did a good job. Galen Is the main character and he happens to be my favorite.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

What a unique review this is. Your humorous wording makes me laugh out loud when I read the part about the square love. Quite a complicated relationship for a book, isn't it :D.
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

Rahilshajahan, your review is CATCHY. Folcro is such a pain in the a.... you know. He's bad enough to be the big villain.
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

You have a gift for writing intriguing reviews! You make the book sound mesmerizing. Great job!
Star_and_Buck
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star-and-buck.html
Latest Review: Abby the Dog and Tigger the Cat by P.L. (Patricia) Rainey

Post by Star_and_Buck »

This is a good book and your review justifies my opionions. Good job!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

I read only the first book of this series and as soon as I can find the time I'm going on with its sequel as it seems they're as great. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Jeff Kanda
Currently Reading: Dreams Are to Be Lived
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeff-kanda.html
Latest Review: Almost Everything You Wanted To Know About Tickling by Duncan Taub
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Jeff Kanda »

Thanks for the wonderful review. Nice job!
Allen Cheque
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allen-cheque.html
Latest Review: Schmooze by Cody Lowry

Post by Allen Cheque »

I haven't read the first book in this series, but your review has definitely whetted my appetite. I think I am ready for MELDO-WRATH!
Latest Review: Schmooze by Cody Lowry
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

If this is the second book of the series then am in! After reading the first, I am glad to learn that the second is also worth it. Thanks for this review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”