Review by derialist -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
derialist
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-derialist.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Review by derialist -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko

Post by derialist »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We Are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko is the second book in the "We Are Voulhire" series by Matthew Tysz. It introduces us to the progressive city of Virko, a heavily industrialized town, which is a powerhouse for the Voulhire economy. Virko has a stark contrast when compared to the other towns in Voulhire: At the onset of autumn, the oak trees in the Virken plains where Virko is situated are the first to acquire the red pigment but are the last to lose their leaves.

The beginning portions of the title gives us the historical background of the city of Virko. We are introduced to Lord Venden, who was the first person to move to Virko and single-handedly built the entire city. His son, Hans, is not popular among the people of Virko despite his status because he rarely leaves the house, but he is a gifted violin player. As Lord Venden’s conditions worsens due to an illness, he decides to relinquish sovereign rule in the city rather than leaving the responsibility of ruling Virko to his troubled son. Was this a wise move for Lord Venden?

Galen, Demetrius, and Rowan head to Virko in a bid to solve their challenge of acquiring raw materials following the seizure of Hillport by the Riva Rohavi, which led to the loss of their consignment of the materials needed for Galen’s new blacksmithing business that he took over from his deceased uncle, but their trip to Virko unravels discoveries regarding the house in Rendenhide (Lord Venden’s home) together with the Lord’s son. What will Galen and his team discover in Rendenhide, and how will this discovery impact the city of virko?

I loved the beginning of this book. It was brilliant that the author chose to introduce me to this title with the onslaught that I witnessed. That alone left me contemplating the significance of that incident, like whether it was a foreshadow of what would happen in the later chapters. One could draw some interesting parallels between that incident and the events that occur later in the book.

Another thing that I liked is that there weren’t any loose ends in the plot as it transitioned from the first book to this second book. This title doesn’t pick up immediately from where the previous stopped, but it does continue with the narration. The characters were also given ample character development, including the new characters that were introduced in this book.

There isn’t anything that I disliked about this book. Reading this title was a satisfying experience for me. Errors were minimal in this book. The only caution I wish to put across is targeted at younger readers due to occasional profanities. Children should avoid reading this title as there are several disturbing scenes in the narration. I rate this title 4 out of 4 stars with a hearty recommendation to lovers of the fantasy genre.

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I liked the development of the characters in this book :) Hope you continue with the series! Thanks for a great review!
derialist
Currently Reading:

Post by derialist »

Ellylion wrote: 08 Sep 2020, 08:33 I liked the development of the characters in this book :) Hope you continue with the series! Thanks for a great review!
Me too! I'm currently on book three and I'm looking forward to reading more books in the series. Thank you Ellylion :tiphat:
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

This is one of the most interesting series I've read, with great plot and characters. I'm also looking forward to reading the last 3 books.
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

I'm reading another book series (The Turn) by Matthew Tysz and reading your review has given me insight on this series to try as well. Good review! :)
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I read the first book of this series and found it to be very intriguing. Thanks for your beautiful review and recommendation.
derialist
Currently Reading:

Post by derialist »

SamaylaM wrote: 17 Sep 2020, 00:20 I'm reading another book series (The Turn) by Matthew Tysz and reading your review has given me insight on this series to try as well. Good review! :)
I read the turn a while back and I equally enjoyed the story. I'm currently reading the second book in the turn series. So far, I haven't been disappointed by any of his work. Thanks for sharing!
derialist
Currently Reading:

Post by derialist »

Sou Hi wrote: 16 Sep 2020, 21:24 This is one of the most interesting series I've read, with great plot and characters. I'm also looking forward to reading the last 3 books.
I find the characters to be very lively and interesting, and I'm intrigued by the world-building. I'm also looking forward to reading the entire series just like you are.
derialist
Currently Reading:

Post by derialist »

Saint Bruno wrote: 17 Sep 2020, 06:39 I read the first book of this series and found it to be very intriguing. Thanks for your beautiful review and recommendation.
I'm sure you'll be more intrigued as you continue with the series. Thank you Saint Bruno

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”