Review by Pluma -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Review by Pluma -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End

Post by Pluma »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: Someone Else’s End is the third book in the We are Voulhire series by Matthew Tysz.

The kingdom of Voulhire is meant to be a shining example of humanity in a turbulent world; but lately, the careful facade has begun to crumble, revealing the shaky politics and quaking foundations beneath. The land is no longer known as a prosperous safe haven for those who flee from the war-torn countries that surround them.

Though the struggle for power between the politicians and upper-class is damaging, it is a hidden sinister force from the outside that poses the most pressing threat to Voulhire and its citizens: the Emperor of Lullabies, the mystical figure in control of Galen’s homeland, is reaching his influence beyond the borders of his domain. This spells trouble for the humans in Voulhire: “they would soon be lifted from this world like dust in a gentle breeze.”

Another threat lurks in their midst: the terrifying Meldorath has escaped his island prison and taken up the post of Eiodi (religious leader) after successfully defeating his predecessor. Having laboured in secret and darkness for years, Meldorath ponders how to reveal himself to the people, to finally show the true extent of his power. But he can sense the plans of the Emperor, and he knows better than most the danger implied.

Galen, still a relatively new arrival from the Lands of the Princes, knows Voulhire is a far better place than the one he left behind, in spite of the growing threats. He continues his travels with his friends Demetrius and Rowan; despite their differences, the three of them get along quite well. But beneath the surface, each of them is haunted by secrets from their past that they keep shielded from the others.

This book, like the first two in the series, is written partially from the third-person point of view (narrating events among the kingdom’s powerful and elite) and partially from the first-person point of view (which in this book extends to include the narratives of Demetrius and Rowan as well as that of Galen).

This book is just as well-written as the first two, the language just as rich and the plot just as exciting. Even the courtroom drama and political scenes are engaging and interesting, not boring or dry like scenes of the sort tend to be. The suspense and mysterious happenings running through the pages keep you on the edge of your seat and make you want to finish the book and the rest in the series to find out what will become of Galen, his companions and the rest of the people and beings of Voulhire. The world-building in this book is excellent, and the author handles the multiple additions and twists of the plot well; it was easy enough to keep track of the various characters and storylines, and the narrative is woven together nicely. The element of the novel I enjoyed most was the suspense and the skilful way the author keeps the readers on the edge of their seats.

I did sometimes feel as if there are a few too many villains and other characters being followed throughout the book. But as I said, the author keeps track of the threads of the narrative well, and as long as the loose ends are all tied up at the end of the series, it won’t be too much of an issue.

Though there was nothing I really disliked about the novel, there were several elements that I did not enjoy so much; however, as they were due to personal taste, I would not take any stars off my rating. Though there are far less blood and gore and dark themes in this book than the previous instalment in the series, there are still several scenes (some of them graphic) involving these elements, as well as many instances of profanity. As with the previous books, there are several sexual jokes and innuendoes but no outright inappropriate scenes. Due to these things, I would not recommend this book to young or sensitive readers.

There are quite a few spelling and grammar errors, and though they do not interfere with the reading and enjoyment of the book I would have to take a star off my rating anyway as there are more than ten. Most errors are either words substituted with similar words or homophones (such as peace for piece or wailing for whaling) or simple errors in punctuation.

I rate this book three out of four stars. I recommend this book for fans of fantasy adventure stories with a magical element. I do not recommend this book for young or sensitive readers due to some graphic content and profanity.

We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
pablo10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pablo10.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by pablo10 »

Agreed on the sexual innuendos. They seemed a bit unnecessary and forced. But I did liked the characterization in the series, specifically the morally ambiguous nature of some characters.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

This series is becoming more and more intriguing to me. Maybe I should start reading.

That's an excellent review you have there.
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

You wrote a nice and detailed review. I concur that there are no dull or boring moments in this book; this is a really interesting series. But, I don't recall noticing any sexual innuendos in this book.
Live and let live, baby.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I think am missing a lot having read only the first book in the series. Thanks for this awesome and insightful review. It's high time I checked it out.
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

I can't believe Meldorath became the Eiodi. I guess their fight wasn't a walk in the park for a man as powerful the Eiodi. I'm still in the first book, I'd have to find out when I get to this.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This does sound like an intriguing series, but I wonder if I would be able to keep track of all the different characters. I must say it does seem interesting. Wonderful review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”