Review by Amakan -- Genex of Halcyon by Joshua Stelling

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hans Marcel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hans-marcel.html
Latest Review: The Second American Revolution: by Liberty Nation

Review by Amakan -- Genex of Halcyon by Joshua Stelling

Post by Hans Marcel »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Genex of Halcyon" by Joshua Stelling.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Within the span of three days, Harmony's life was changed forever. On Dec. 29, 2051, Harmony, Orion and Azad went to the Theater of Light and Sound. The trio enjoyed their moment together. Suddenly, a strange lady with wings (known as genex) appeared and went home with them. During the following day, Day had been developing a lustful desire towards Orion, while staying for a while in Harmony's apartment. Fortunately, Orion's attention was dedicated only to Harmony. When Harmony chased after her brother Azad, the intruder also took the advantage of alluring Orion. Awhile later, a tragedy occurred. Dec. 31, 2051, Harmony was crying and was also deeply wounded. Why?

Genex of Halcyon by Joshua Stelling is a novel set in the future. The author has a good sense of humor in portraying the future. He includes robotic technologies and genetic experiment theories that might happen in the future. Futuristic avid readers will like this book as well as anyone who enjoys a theater play or reading poetry. I will recommend this book to adult readers only because of numerous profane words and sexual scenarios.

When reading this book, pay attention to the cover photo. Clue number one is by carefully scrutinizing every stroke of the image. Tip number two, the reader must observe the weather to understand the flow of the story. Honestly, the author did an excellent job in connecting the front cover with its contents.

I liked the setting, though it wasn't action-packed, but the scenario was well-detailed in clear and concise description. Thus, it prompted me to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The first fascinating thing I notice is the picturesque of Halcyon; while I'm imagining Halcyon's town, I also ponder what if in the near future hostility arises. Secondly, the events like sexual scenarios or polygamous family up-bringing becomes a common family set up nowadays. Thirdly, the structure of the family isn't important anymore due to the high count of broken families, orphans or fatherless children. Overall, I can say that the theme of this book is about the results of self-satisfaction and too much ambition, which leads to a chaotic future. Joshua Stelling was portraying the above setting in this novel.

The following sentences are the things I least enjoy. When I assessed the writing style as well as the editing, it needed a little bit of improvement, albeit I didn't pick any misspelled words. Some sentences are quite confusing due to the absence of quotations, particularly in the dialogue. Furthermore, the character development was also declining. Within this novel, there are more or less ten characters, but I don't feel anything that excites my mood.

Genex of Halcyon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Books with a good humor are always welcome. Thanks for your detailed review and recommendation.
Hans Marcel
Currently Reading:

Post by Hans Marcel »

Saint Bruno wrote: 22 Sep 2020, 15:26 Books with a good humor are always welcome. Thanks for your detailed review and recommendation.
Thank you.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

The themes that you have mentioned sound interesting. Your very detailed and insightful review makes me want to give this book a shot. Great job.
Hans Marcel
Currently Reading:

Post by Hans Marcel »

lavenderbooks20 wrote: 25 Sep 2020, 21:10 The themes that you have mentioned sound interesting. Your very detailed and insightful review makes me want to give this book a shot. Great job.
Thank you.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”