Official Review: Post-Apocalyptic Paradise

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Post-Apocalyptic Paradise

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Post-Apocalyptic Paradise" by Alestarious Blac.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Wyatt Sullivan is just a boy trying to survive alone in a nuclear-ravaged world full of mutants that would like nothing more than to eat him alive. Having no knowledge of the world before, he scavenges what he needs. But, is this lonely existence worth living? After stumbling upon a radio signal for a city of survivors nearby, he risks his life getting there. But, will he make it? If he does, what will he find?

Post-Apocalyptic Paradise by Alestarious Blac is a science fiction novel with dystopian themes. Profane language is prevalent; however, there are only mild sexual innuendos. With violence and extreme gore, I would advise only older teenagers and adults to pick this up.

I think my favorite part of the book was trying to figure out the mystery of where Wyatt came from, of who he was before the apocalypse. Following along with him and figuring it out as he does is part of what kept me engaged in the book. Though the author drops hints here and there, it isn't easy to piece together yourself.

While this is science fiction, the major themes in this book are depression and suicidal thoughts. The author even has a message at the beginning to those struggling with such issues. It's clear that Mr. Blac knows this subject well. When Wyatt is contemplating suicide, he says: "I let myself slip back into the warm arms of my resolve." I appreciated a different approach to something that afflicts so many. While the book doesn't explore ways to help the depression (as that's not its scope), it does help others know that they aren't alone.

The story is a bit slow to get started; it took me several chapters to become invested in the story. Once I was, though, the action was non-stop, and I didn't want to put the book down. There are fights, there's adventure, and there's a small bit of romance. If you're prone to queasiness reading about blood and guts, you'll want to skip this. "Rivers of tainted blood gushed down its scaly body as I decapitated its many heads."

Sadly, the editing needed some work. I found many errors of varying types. Mostly these consisted of typographical mistakes like spacing issues or incorrect words. Even though they weren't egregious, they were numerous. For example, "Wash this what Grim ad died for?"

As for the ending, it isn't exactly what I was expecting or what I hoped for. There's much that's left open-ended. It didn't seem that the author was setting up for a sequel, but one could be written. To me, it seemed like a metaphor that Wyatt's journey was just begun. While not entirely satisfying, it was probably realistic.

All in all, this is an intriguing take on depression and mental health in a dystopian setting. Due to the errors, I must rate Post-Apocalyptic Paradise 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to adults who don't mind violence that enjoy science fiction, especially those prone to mental health problems. I applaud the author for bringing such a delicate subject to the forefront. I'm looking forward to seeing what else he comes up with.

Post-Apocalyptic Paradise
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This novel seems interesting, but also quite depressing due to its themes. I'm curious to see if the author will write a sequel. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

It's a commendable disguise to write on social issues in the cloak of science fiction. Thanks.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I really hope Wyatt makes it to the other survivors. This is an insightful but simple review. I enjoyed reading it. Thank you for the recommendation.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Truth and Evil
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Post by Bertha Jackson »

The result of a nuclear attack is scary in itself; the aftermath even more so. Sounds like a book I would like to read. Thank you for the review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
vmcelwee85
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vmcelwee85.html
Latest Review: Lara's Journal by A. Gavazzoni

Post by vmcelwee85 »

I think its great when there are authors willing to write about real issues. For them to bring you into that mindset where you can be sympathetic and really feel the struggle some people feel with suicide.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

NetMassimo wrote: 29 Sep 2020, 07:46 This novel seems interesting, but also quite depressing due to its themes. I'm curious to see if the author will write a sequel. Thank you for your great review!
It could be depressing, but the author turns it around and makes it uplifting, for the most part. Thanks for your comment.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Eutoc wrote: 29 Sep 2020, 08:02 It's a commendable disguise to write on social issues in the cloak of science fiction. Thanks.
I've seen many social issues discussed in science fiction novels. I'm just not sure I've seen depression addressed in such a manner. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Saint Bruno wrote: 29 Sep 2020, 08:38 I really hope Wyatt makes it to the other survivors. This is an insightful but simple review. I enjoyed reading it. Thank you for the recommendation.
Thanks for your comments. It's definitely interesting to see what becomes of Wyatt.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Bertha Jackson wrote: 29 Sep 2020, 17:06 The result of a nuclear attack is scary in itself; the aftermath even more so. Sounds like a book I would like to read. Thank you for the review.
Dystopian novels are some of my favorite. This was interesting and unique in its own right. Thanks for your comment.
—Neil Gaiman
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 234
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Past Speaks by Geoff McCue

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

Sci-fi and depression, with a different approach. Sounds interesting! This is what I like about this genre. It provides a platform for exploring and thinking outside the box. Nice review. Thanks!
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis

Post by Harty Muli »

With mutants after them, no wonder the characters have suicidal thoughts! I think it's a wake up call to the problem nuclear warfare can bring. Thanks for the interesting review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

sssns wrote: 30 Sep 2020, 01:43 Sci-fi and depression, with a different approach. Sounds interesting! This is what I like about this genre. It provides a platform for exploring and thinking outside the box. Nice review. Thanks!
You are absolutely right about thinking outside the box. I've seen some major issues discussed in interesting ways in the science fiction genre. Thanks for commenting!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Slater678 wrote: 30 Sep 2020, 14:44 With mutants after them, no wonder the characters have suicidal thoughts! I think it's a wake up call to the problem nuclear warfare can bring. Thanks for the interesting review.
I guess that's true. Also, when you think you're the last person on Earth, it's easy to get depressed. Thanks for your comment.
—Neil Gaiman
Tayejim1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tayejim1.html
Latest Review: Manning Up:(PoesyEssays Of Women's Interest) by Mr.Bigmann Grier

Post by Tayejim1 »

A unique plot. However, extreme gore is not my thing. I'll pass on this one. I enjoyed reading your review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”