Official Review: Plume of Fire by Marie Fostino

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Official Review: Plume of Fire by Marie Fostino

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Plume of Fire" by Marie Fostino.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Creator is disappointed in the people of the world! Why couldn't humans love one another? Instead of love and goodness, they spread destruction and hate amongst themselves. Humans didn't seem to understand that the new virus that caused the death of about two-thirds of the world's population in 2020 was a warning. It was a warning for them to turn from their wicked ways!

Fast forward to 2022, Sarah Taylor is one of the survivors of the pandemic. She lived alone in one of the districts created by the government until Ricky sneaked into her garden one morning, seeking food and shelter. Moved with compassion, Sarah decides to allow Ricky to live with her. One fateful day, an alien appears to Sarah and Ricky and warns them of the Creator's plan to destroy Earth unless people changed their evil ways. Hence, Sarah and Ricky set out to inform the government of the alien's warning. However, they soon discover they have to fight for their lives as their message upsets the people in power.

Plume of Fire by Marie Fostino is an intriguing dystopian fantasy book that is easy to recommend. I am sure you will understand why I think so if you read this review to the end. Once I started reading this book, I just couldn't put it down. Thank goodness, it only had 160 pages in it. Ms. Fostino uses the third-person point of view to tell the entire story, which made me feel I was witnessing simultaneous events in the book from a vantage point.

The author's writing style is praiseworthy, and I enjoyed how smoothly the story flowed. Also, Ms. Fostino's descriptions left clear pictures on my mind due to her excellent use of vivid imagery. Though the backstories provided for most of the characters were short, I enjoyed how this made the book concise. More so, I liked how distinct and life-like each character was. I couldn't believe how much I feared for Sarah and Ricky's safety. I even fell in love with Sarah due to how brave and determined she was all through the book.

What I liked the most about this book is its message of love. The author's intention to bring some societal ills like rape, aggression, and covetousness to light in this book is clear. However, she also reminds us of the need to love and care for one another, which is how the Creator wants us to live on Earth. The author's message is most evident in Sarah's compassion and aptitude to do good despite others doing otherwise.

Furthermore, I enjoyed the author's impeccable worldbuilding ability. She was able to give detailed descriptions of a world ravaged by a pandemic. She makes the book relatable by using known locations in the United States. Also, it was easy for me to relate the virus in this book to the coronavirus of today, which the world is still battling to contain.

In conclusion, I am glad to rate Plume of Fire 4 out of 4 stars. And like I said earlier, it is easy to recommend. It helps that the book is professionally edited, with few typos, and devoid of profanities. Though Christians will find this book most suitable due to some biblical references in it, I think readers who enjoy fantasy stories will find this title intriguing.

Plume of Fire
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Tablito
Favorite Book: The Mountain and The Goat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Tablito »

Sarah and Ricky suffer for their good intentions and are soon on the run for their lives.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I enjoy books that are short, sweet and to the point! Considering the pandemic we are experiencing, I think I should give this book a read. Thanks for the review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Chali
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chali.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chali »

A short read that is dystopian set is just what I need right now. I love how dystopians reflect the worst of our current societies, something you can almost see happening in the future.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

I'm not sure I want to read a book about a devastating pandemic right now, but for fans of this kind of stories this seems a must-read. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Joan642
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joan642.html
Latest Review: Inspirations by Colleen by Colleen Bruce

Post by Joan642 »

This is a must read for all. Most people still don't know that for them to have survived this pandemic was by God's grace alone. It is not wrong to feel that God is disappointed in us , because he expects us to love each other as he loves us, not kill or discriminate each other. Let's spread love in our own little way. You did a really good job on the review.
engarl
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-engarl.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by engarl »

Thanks for the great review, sounds like an interesting read :)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm definitely interested in the Biblical references that the author makes. I wonder if this would then be considered Christian fiction or just fiction that happens to have Biblical references. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

This sounds like a well-written book, but I'm not a fan of dystopian novels. Great review, though!
Saint Bruno
Currently Reading:

Post by Saint Bruno »

Nqobile771 wrote: 08 Oct 2020, 01:35 I enjoy books that are short, sweet and to the point! Considering the pandemic we are experiencing, I think I should give this book a read. Thanks for the review.
Tablito wrote: 08 Oct 2020, 00:14 Sarah and Ricky suffer for their good intentions and are soon on the run for their lives.
Chali wrote: 08 Oct 2020, 02:54 A short read that is dystopian set is just what I need right now. I love how dystopians reflect the worst of our current societies, something you can almost see happening in the future.
Thanks a lot for finding time to read and comment.
Saint Bruno
Currently Reading:

Post by Saint Bruno »

Joan642 wrote: 08 Oct 2020, 05:40 This is a must read for all. Most people still don't know that for them to have survived this pandemic was by God's grace alone. It is not wrong to feel that God is disappointed in us , because he expects us to love each other as he loves us, not kill or discriminate each other. Let's spread love in our own little way. You did a really good job on the review.
NetMassimo wrote: 08 Oct 2020, 04:08 I'm not sure I want to read a book about a devastating pandemic right now, but for fans of this kind of stories this seems a must-read. Thank you for your great review!
engarl wrote: 08 Oct 2020, 09:47 Thanks for the great review, sounds like an interesting read :)
kandscreeley wrote: 08 Oct 2020, 18:30 I'm definitely interested in the Biblical references that the author makes. I wonder if this would then be considered Christian fiction or just fiction that happens to have Biblical references. Thanks.
You are all welcome! And thanks for finding time to read and comment.
Aishwarya Chhabra
Currently Reading: Make The Dirt Fly
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aishwarya-chhabra.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by Aishwarya Chhabra »

Dystopian world entwined by pandemic, appearance of alien seems quite interesting. Thanks for a nice review.
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pearl Akpan »

wow, i’m inclined to read this book because of how drawing your review is. i like concise book that do not diminish the general story. looking forward to reading this, thank you for a great review!
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

Humans have always been wicked. Even God testified to the fact. However, we are also loving and caring creatures. I hate to say it, but evil cannot be killed, but it can be contained. I hope we do soon. It's a perfect book. Good job, Saint Bruno!
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

A thrilling fiction that promotes the message a love... That sounds really lovely and interesting. The storyline of this book is also very intriguing.
Great review.
Live and let live, baby.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”