Official Review: The Object by Matthew Caesar

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: The Object by Matthew Caesar

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Object" by Matthew Caesar.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Andrew, John, and Sarah are school friends on summer break. Andrew finds a mysterious, disc-shaped object when playing soccer one day. Not knowing what it is, he puts it in his bag while the three explore the Red Forest nearby. Suddenly, they find themselves back in medieval times at the castle of Lord and Lady Grey. Having just begun exploring the object's powers, the three friends realize the future looks bleak, but they just might have the power to change it. Will Andrew, John, and Sarah save the day?

The Object: First Contact by Matthew Caesar is the first in a series of young adult science fiction/fantasy books. Targeted at teenagers, there are only mild profanities and non-gruesome violence. There is some romance; but, with little in the way of explicit scenes, it should be suitable for the age range.

I enjoyed being with the teens as they traveled back in time. After all, who doesn't love lords, ladies, kings, and sword fighting? The object was a great spin on the experience, and by the end, they had just begun to explore its abilities. I'm looking forward to finding out what else it's capable of.

In order to be authentic, the author does use some Old English, like thee and art. It seems to be a more simplified version of Old English and is quite understandable while still lending an air of authenticity to the book. If, though, some children are confused, Mr. Caesar gives a medieval word key to explain this language better.

In this book, details abound. When a character gets dressed, we are privy to the exact sizes of the clothes he or she wears along with the colors and styles. In addition, each time someone goes to ride a horse, we learn their colors, their size, and their name. Every single time. This level of detail was overwhelming and added unnecessary length to the story.

Furthermore, while the details were over-explained, in other instances we are told instead of shown. When the kids dream of the future, we're simply told they dreamt instead of taking us through the dream. At one point the teens are arguing, and we are told: "...they started to shout and argue with each other, it really got quite heated." I wanted to hear and see the argument instead of simply knowing it happened.

Lastly, the book was not edited well. I found numerous errors, and they were distracting. The author had a tendency to overuse punctuation including semicolons and commas. There were errors in capitalization as well as homophone errors. For example, we are told a character "...picked up the large blue sports bag and closed the; front, red, glossy, door, behind him." All in all, it needs another round of proofreading.

To summarize, I rate The Object: First Contact 2 out of 4 stars. The amount of detail, telling instead of showing, and errors were too unsettling to warrant a higher rating, but the concept is worth a reworking of the story. I recommend this to teenage readers who can overlook errors and don't mind excessive details.

The Object
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

I wonder why the story was very particular with exact sizes. Will they be shrinking or expanding (because of the object) in the next series? Interesting! I hope the author can do something about the errors. Nice review. Thanks!
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I can only imagine the fun these teenagers had on their adventure. Thanks for the review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

Thanks for your honest review. Seems to be an interesting read.
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

Maybe some readers would be really interested in reading about all the different horse sizes, colours, names etc. :-). All in all, it sounds like an interesting book and I'm sure the author will take note of the errors you've mentioned.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This novel has the problems you pointed out, and probably I'm too old to read it anyway. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Wow! I love the story already. It's unfortunate that there are lots of errors in the book. Thanks for your honest review and recommendation.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

sssns wrote: 08 Oct 2020, 01:02 I wonder why the story was very particular with exact sizes. Will they be shrinking or expanding (because of the object) in the next series? Interesting! I hope the author can do something about the errors. Nice review. Thanks!
Shrinking or expanding because of the object doesn't seem to fit in the story line, at least to me. However, I'm not the author. Plus, it was more he wore a size 29 jeans with 34 length and an extra large shirt with size 29 boots type deal. Thanks for commenting!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Nqobile771 wrote: 08 Oct 2020, 01:07 I can only imagine the fun these teenagers had on their adventure. Thanks for the review.
They did, but it's scary at the same time! So much responsibility! Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Chigo Nwagboso wrote: 08 Oct 2020, 03:23 Thanks for your honest review. Seems to be an interesting read.
There were definitely interesting parts to it. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Yvonne Monique wrote: 08 Oct 2020, 06:18 Maybe some readers would be really interested in reading about all the different horse sizes, colours, names etc. :-). All in all, it sounds like an interesting book and I'm sure the author will take note of the errors you've mentioned.
I could see some readers being interested in it IF it wasn't the same horses being described over and over. Once is more than enough for me. Thanks so much for taking the time to comment.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

NetMassimo wrote: 08 Oct 2020, 08:31 This novel has the problems you pointed out, and probably I'm too old to read it anyway. Thank you for your honest review!
It's for a younger audience, for sure, but even us old folks like a simple, fun story from time to time! Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Saint Bruno wrote: 08 Oct 2020, 11:58 Wow! I love the story already. It's unfortunate that there are lots of errors in the book. Thanks for your honest review and recommendation.
Yes! With the time period that this is set in, I could see it being quite popular if a few things are worked out. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

Excessive details would bore most teenagers. However, I like the book's concept. The time-travel and Old English adds spice that'll probably feel like reading the Bible. Great review, Kandscreely.
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Olabode Joshua wrote: 09 Oct 2020, 08:28 Excessive details would bore most teenagers. However, I like the book's concept. The time-travel and Old English adds spice that'll probably feel like reading the Bible. Great review, Kandscreely.
I liked the concept as well. I hope the author is able to clean it up some. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”