Thrillers/horror Book Discussion

For October 2020, we will be reading thrillers and/or horror/spooky tales.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Thrillers/horror Book Discussion

Post by gali »

For this month, we will read Thrillers/horror Books.

Thriller: This genre leaves readers at "the edge of their seats." There are feelings of suspense, anticipation, and maybe even anxiety as the reader dives deeper into the story. Plot twists, red herrings, and cliffhangers planted throughout the read is common for this genre.

Horror: This is a genre of speculative fiction that is intended to frighten, scare, or disgust.

Here are some guiding questions:
  • What are you reading/have read for this month?
  • Were there any other genres featured in that book?
  • What are some characteristics that you see in the book that seem unique to the genre?
  • What rating would you give this read?
  • Would you recommend the book you read? Why or why not?
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Kreads1
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Currently Reading: The Once and Future Witches
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kreads1.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by Kreads1 »

I read The Whisper Man by Alex North.

I would classify this book as a psychological thriller. There are horror and crime thriller aspects to this book as well.

The storyline centers around a serial killer known as The Whisper Man who is serving his sentence in prison. When similar cases arise authorities are unsure if there is a copy cat killer or an unknown accomplice that has yet to be apprehended. In addition, there is a haunting woven into the plot, that is absolutely bone-chilling.

I think combining a haunting with a criminal thriller is a unique aspect of this book. All of this involves children, which really adds to the suspense and is sometimes disturbing.

I would give this book 4 out of 4 stars because it delivered exactly what it set out to provide readers in the synopsis. This was a page-turner and a wonderful thrilling read for those who appreciate this genre. I wouldn’t recommend this book to those sensitive to the subjects of missing children, abused children, or the murdering of children.

I’m looking forward to reading more of this authors books. He has another thriller titled The Shadows that I would like to read.
gali

Post by gali »

Kreads1 wrote: 09 Oct 2020, 08:44 I read The Whisper Man by Alex North.

I would classify this book as a psychological thriller. There are horror and crime thriller aspects to this book as well.

The storyline centers around a serial killer known as The Whisper Man who is serving his sentence in prison. When similar cases arise authorities are unsure if there is a copy cat killer or an unknown accomplice that has yet to be apprehended. In addition, there is a haunting woven into the plot, that is absolutely bone-chilling.

I think combining a haunting with a criminal thriller is a unique aspect of this book. All of this involves children, which really adds to the suspense and is sometimes disturbing.

I would give this book 4 out of 4 stars because it delivered exactly what it set out to provide readers in the synopsis. This was a page-turner and a wonderful thrilling read for those who appreciate this genre. I wouldn’t recommend this book to those sensitive to the subjects of missing children, abused children, or the murdering of children.

I’m looking forward to reading more of this authors books. He has another thriller titled The Shadows that I would like to read.
Sounds good, thank you. :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

"The Different Kinds of Monsters" by Seth Chambers was a very interesting book!
Supernatural, horror, and psychological thriller fans should enjoy this novel.
It's a very engrossing story of a crazy ghost of an Allosaurus that haunt a family for several generations. It's also very educative and well-documented regarding the dinosaurs, so it combines a lot of unexpected elements.
I gave the book 4 out of 4 stars since it is fascinating and features great characters.
Be aware that the story also touches some sensitive topics such as child abuse or violence; it has a lot of profanities and contains some disturbing erotic scenes. However, it was very interesting because it talked about the monsters within us. We are all capable of turning into monsters, even of it's for a good cause. So are you a monster?
gali

Post by gali »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 18 Oct 2020, 11:24 "The Different Kinds of Monsters" by Seth Chambers was a very interesting book!
Supernatural, horror, and psychological thriller fans should enjoy this novel.
It's a very engrossing story of a crazy ghost of an Allosaurus that haunt a family for several generations. It's also very educative and well-documented regarding the dinosaurs, so it combines a lot of unexpected elements.
I gave the book 4 out of 4 stars since it is fascinating and features great characters.
Be aware that the story also touches some sensitive topics such as child abuse or violence; it has a lot of profanities and contains some disturbing erotic scenes. However, it was very interesting because it talked about the monsters within us. We are all capable of turning into monsters, even of it's for a good cause. So are you a monster?
Sounds good, thank you. :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Return to “October 2020 Genre Discussion”