Official Review: Bolting the Furies by Helen H. Moore

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Official Review: Bolting the Furies by Helen H. Moore

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bolting the Furies" by Helen H. Moore.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In 1972, nineteen-year-old Agnes Craigie, fondly called Senga, joined a group of women on a bus heading to Washington for a protest about the injustices against women. The journey to Washington had just begun when the unthinkable happened! Maybe the world has suddenly come to an end.

Senga and the other women who survived the cataclysm are stranded and unsure of life outside the forest they found themselves. Senga's only desire is to find her way to the outside world if it existed. But survivors like Abigail and Alma are eager to form an all-female society that is free from the men they so hated. However, they needed men to reproduce. Hence, the women resorted to trapping men who strayed into the forest. Senga's values clashed with that of the women, so they all hated her. And to make matters worse, the only person Senga called her own was about to be exposed to these women. Therefore, Senga must fight her way through them to make it out of the forest alive with her loved one.

Bolting the Furies by Helen H. Moore is an alluring dystopian novel that is sure to thrill lovers of fantasy adventure stories. It is a book about post-apocalyptic times and the fight for survival in a challenging world. Apart from the use of the first-person point of view (Senga's perspective) at the beginning and end of the book, Ms. Moore uses the third-person point of view to tell the rest of the story.

Firstly, I need to warn readers who dislike reading about cannibalism and people dying gruesomely to steer clear of this title. It was just dark humor for me, so I didn't mind reading about them. I even enjoyed how it presented me with a raw and realistic story of survival.

Ms. Moore's writing style is engaging. She uses a colorful but free-flowing language for this title. This book could challenge your vocabulary, so having a dictionary by your side while reading it won't be a bad idea. Also, the descriptions of events, characters, and surroundings in this book are excellent. I got a clear picture of the world the author wished for readers to see. And this goes to show that the worldbuilding ability of the author is top-notch.

Is it just me, or do other readers also lookout for natural dialogues in a novel? Thank goodness, this title didn't disappoint in that regard. I enjoyed how each character conversed in a unique style, which made the characters even more life-like. I am sure readers will find the witty and sarcastic remarks between Senga and Alma hilarious.

What I liked the most about this book is its excellent characterization. I enjoyed how relatable the characters were. I found myself getting angry with some characters in the book due to their poor decisions. Through flashbacks and backstories, the author effectively developed the personalities of some of the characters, and my favorite is Buffy. I just couldn't stop laughing at Buffy's inability to function without being drunk or stoned.

For being such a suspenseful and thrilling read for me, I am glad to rate Bolting the Furies 4 out of 4 stars. Though I didn't enjoy some of the unnecessary descriptions in the book, it was easy to let it slide due to how fascinating the entire reading experience was for me. I found only two typos in this professionally edited book, but readers should beware of the many profanities in it. I am recommending this book to readers who enjoy fantasy adventure books with strong female characters. However, only mature readers, please, due to the title's sexual content.

Bolting the Furies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

The dark aspects of the story you that described aren't for me, but great review.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

An all-female society in a fantasy adventure is quite intriguing. I wonder about the challenges and struggles they will encounter. Also, I appreciate the heads up in keeping a dictionary close by. Thanks for the comprehensive review and recommendation.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

A dystopian fantasy adventure book with strong female characters is something to look forward to. The characterization sounds excellent and the writing style engaging. Your review is very insightful and thorough. Well done.
Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: A Long Dark Rainbow by Michael Tappenden

Post by Dominik_G »

Bolting the Furies seems to touch upon issues of feminism (especially its radical forms) in an engaging fantasy setting - an interesting idea. Thank you for your great review!
Saint Bruno
Currently Reading:

Post by Saint Bruno »

Mbrooks2518 wrote: 11 Oct 2020, 23:15 The dark aspects of the story you that described aren't for me, but great review.
Well, not everyone will like it. Thanks for finding time to read and comment. :D
Saint Bruno
Currently Reading:

Post by Saint Bruno »

sssns wrote: 12 Oct 2020, 00:04 An all-female society in a fantasy adventure is quite intriguing. I wonder about the challenges and struggles they will encounter. Also, I appreciate the heads up in keeping a dictionary close by. Thanks for the comprehensive review and recommendation.
The challenges they experienced make the book alluring. Thanks for finding time to read and comment.
Saint Bruno
Currently Reading:

Post by Saint Bruno »

lavenderbooks20 wrote: 12 Oct 2020, 01:19 A dystopian fantasy adventure book with strong female characters is something to look forward to. The characterization sounds excellent and the writing style engaging. Your review is very insightful and thorough. Well done.
Yes! The characterization is impeccable. Thanks for finding time to read and comment. :)
Saint Bruno
Currently Reading:

Post by Saint Bruno »

Dominik_G wrote: 12 Oct 2020, 01:56 Bolting the Furies seems to touch upon issues of feminism (especially its radical forms) in an engaging fantasy setting - an interesting idea. Thank you for your great review!
You are welcome, Dominik. And thanks for finding time to read and comment. :D
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I love the way your review touches on so many different aspects of the book. The author did a good job and made an impact on your reading experience. Thanks for the recommendation.
honesty_pays
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honesty-pays.html
Latest Review: Oldogs by Kip Cassino

Post by honesty_pays »

I can already imagine what the ladies were going through in the forest. Senga was truly a brave lady and I commend the author for giving her character such strength. Nice review
Latest Review: Oldogs by Kip Cassino
Saint Bruno
Currently Reading:

Post by Saint Bruno »

kdstrack wrote: 12 Oct 2020, 18:30 I love the way your review touches on so many different aspects of the book. The author did a good job and made an impact on your reading experience. Thanks for the recommendation.
Thanks a lot for the kind words and for finding time to read and comment.
Saint Bruno
Currently Reading:

Post by Saint Bruno »

honesty_pays wrote: 13 Oct 2020, 04:27 I can already imagine what the ladies were going through in the forest. Senga was truly a brave lady and I commend the author for giving her character such strength. Nice review
They went through a lot! Thanks a lot for finding time to read and comment.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

While I don't usually read fantasy, I do appreciate a good dystopian novel. The fact that you mentioned sarcasm and humor almost tempt me. I am not sure about the cannibalism though. Nice Review!
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

The book is too dark for my current mind. But I will check this out when I need some dark humor and dystopia. Thanks for the great review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”