Official Review: The Unborn by Tayma Tameem

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Standor5865
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-standor5865.html
Latest Review: The 2021 Chronicles by A Glenn Rose

Official Review: The Unborn by Tayma Tameem

Post by Standor5865 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Unborn" by Tayma Tameem.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Unborn by Tayma Tameem is a sci-fi novel that explores the negative effects of climate change on the world, including a scarcity of resources and complications with birthing.

It is a few decades into the future, and there is a shortage of water due to environmental changes. Amidst the chaos that ensues as a result of this, there is only one hope for the masses: Forge Corporation, which has complete control over the water available. Therefore, everyone must now live according to their rules, in several created compounds, to access their resources. Anyone who will not live by Forge's rules is forced to take their chances in the desert. A group of rebels, called The Outliers, now present the biggest threat to Forge Corporation and its wicked ways.

The story focuses on Jake Hurst, a director in Forge Corporation's "Compound 17," and his wife, Summer Hurst. Jake is one of the brightest directors and hopes to advance to the highest rank working for Forge. Summer is a lab technician and struggles with accepting the artificial birthing program started by Forge. Complications arise when Summer, who already has a child, gets pregnant with twins. Will she abide by Forge's one-child policy by terminating the pregnancy? How will this affect Jake's hopes of progressing through Forge's ranks?

The author does a brilliant job in the execution of the plot that explores a relevant theme in modern society. A lot of effort is put into world-building, including explaining the concepts behind how the world gets to that point of chaos. Readers will also be engrossed in the numerous uncertainties that surround how the characters react to this world that they find themselves. The book is a slow-paced read, but there is no dull moment. The pace also provides sufficient time for the author to develop the plot properly.

My favorite feature of the book has to be character development. Tayma Tameem has created characters that are very easy to connect to and fully pull the readers into the pages of the book. The self-centered nature of man is explored through these characters, as most of the characters selfishly fight for their interests without considering the consequences for others, which is what got them into the chaos, through climate change, in the first place. However, the reasons for their actions are well explained, and we get to understand why they act the way they do. Also, this trait in the characters ensures that there are a lot of clashes that will keep readers rooting for their favorite characters and on the edge of their seats throughout.

The Unborn is also professionally edited. I came across a few minor errors, but none of them affected the flow of my reading, as they were few and far between. The only thing I did not like about the book was that the author was repetitive about a character's story on two occasions, and this was not difficult to cope with. Besides that, the book is perfect. On that note, The Unborn deserves the maximum rating of 4 out of 4 stars. The book ends with a few unanswered questions that indicate that there could be a sequel. I am delightfully looking forward to reading the next book. I would recommend this novel to sci-fi lovers.

The Unborn
View: on Bookshelves
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-ash.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Krista Ash »

This book sounds like it has an interesting premise and plot, but I think I'll pass on it due to the slower pace. Thanks for the helpful review!
Fabulous mind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulous-mind.html
Latest Review: The Last Panda by L.Z. smith

Post by Fabulous mind »

It really sad that people were forced to live by inhumane rules made by Forge corporations in order to have access to water. I would like to learn more about Jake's next line of action. Nice review.
sharon titus
Currently Reading: Her Eyes Underwater
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-titus.html
Latest Review: My Only Sunshine by Lou Dischler

Post by sharon titus »

The book sounds so alluring and I am looking forward to read it . great review.
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Drianie »

What is Jake's course of action going to be? And what's up with the Outliers, and what role do they play in the story? I can't wait to read and find out. Thanks for the recommendation. The premise sounds intriguing and the plot, for the most part, well-executed.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

What an intriguing premise. I don't normally read Sci-Fi, but I may make this the exception. Thanks for the amazing review.
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

Looks this book has interesting storyline. Thank you for the introduction.
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pearl Akpan »

Seems like the author did an excellent job with the plot execution. I’m intrigued and would love to read this book. Thank you for an informative review.
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

A novel based on a subject that's already very relevant today that also explores human reactions to such problems seems really intriguing. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
namuyong
Currently Reading: Primal Encounter

Post by namuyong »

science fiction is not of my liking. i pass this book because of the unanswered questions. thanks for the review you make seem very intesting
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Mortal Monarchs
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

This seems like one of my favourite TV shows, the 100, so I think I would enjoy this very much. Great review!
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
ankushavhad
Favorite Book: Gardening With Guns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ankushavhad.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by ankushavhad »

Good review, Standor5865.
The Unborn makes sure we take the environment seriously. Tayma Tameem has symbolically depicted the climate change effect on the planet earth. The situation of monopoly, like controlling water resource by a powerful brand that governs the mass for fundamental needs are the subject to take note. Wish to grab a full version of the book to read, soon
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

The premise seems interesting but I am not into this kind of science fiction. Thanks for your review.
Kasun Perera
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasun-perera.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Post by Kasun Perera »

I love sci-fi fantasies. This one, based on chaotic future world should be an interesting read. Though it is mentioned that it is free on Amazon, it was not to be found in Amazon. Anyway, nice review
Scerakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

Climate change, water shortages, and a company that has unilateral power over the supplies? This sounds like an exciting read by Tameem that is both relevant and scary!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”