Official Review: Sword Chosen by Donald Haynes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Official Review: Sword Chosen by Donald Haynes

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sword Chosen" by Donald Haynes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sword Chosen, the first book in The Swordthane Saga series, is written by Donald Haynes. Separated into two books, the first book sets the scene where the paths of Cormac and Princess Orianna become entangled, while the second book introduces the layout of the land and gives more background information on the characters.

As an Apprentice Storyteller, Cormac dreams of nothing but becoming the greatest Loremaster to ever walk the lands. However, one fateful night, a devastating storm brings Princess Orianna and her Uncle to his doorstep. Not only does this bring in new challenges, but when they tell him he is to be the new Swordthane, Cormac realizes that his dreams of becoming a Loremaster have been cast aside. With Princess Orianna as his Swordmaiden, the two must journey across the lands to fulfill her Uncle’s dying wishes. While their journey brings many challenges, Cormac’s sense of adventure is heightened as he explores the various places where he has only heard stories about.

From the start, I was easily pulled into Cormac’s world with the author’s detailed description of the settings and characters. What I liked the most about this book is how the author described each scene in great detail so that I could picture the emotions of each character. Cormac’s character definitely showed a lot of growth. He seems very unsure of himself at the beginning of the book, but by the end, with the help of Red and Princess Orianna, he manages to push away his fears and worries to do what he needed to do.

Since the book is divided into two parts, I thought it was interesting that the author decided to do most of his world-building in the second part of the novel. This helped to clarify a few things that were not explained very clearly in the first part. It also allowed me to get a better understanding of each character’s thoughts and feelings. Also, there is a map included at the beginning of the book that helps orient where the different cities and kingdoms are located.

Overall, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. While I was expecting more action, since it falls under the fantasy category, the story-building and description of the settings made this book an enjoyable read. I only found one grammatical error, but other than that this book was free of errors. I recommend this book to readers who enjoy character-driven fantasy books.

Sword Chosen
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Drianie »

Since this is the first entry in the series, I imagine that subsequent novels will have more action woven into the plot. This seems like a promising series with an interesting new world to explore. Thank you for your detailed review!
Fabulous mind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulous-mind.html
Latest Review: The Last Panda by L.Z. smith

Post by Fabulous mind »

Although I'm yet to grasp fully what a swordthane does, but this seems like it will be an engaging read. Great review.
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pearl Akpan »

Although this review did not detail the setting of the book, I’m curious to read the book. I hope I enjoy it. Amazing review overall!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The City We Became
Bookshelf Size: 425
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by NetMassimo »

This book seems to have some classic fantasy elements with well developed characters. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Sounds like an interesting book with well-written characters. Thanks for the great review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”