Official Review: Am I Real or Virtual by Val Fernbach

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TCG
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcg.html
Latest Review: The Jewels Of The Rainbow by H.F. Snyder

Official Review: Am I Real or Virtual by Val Fernbach

Post by TCG »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Am I Real or Virtual" by Val Fernbach.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Am I Real or Virtual? was written and illustrated by Val Fernbach. The author explains two worlds: the real world and the virtual world. The author explored the features of the two worlds by using Justin, Olivia, Sally, and Jack's characters. In virtual travel, a traveler can have his identity changed, and he will be exchanged with someone else who will have the same memory but a different face.

Justin was awarded the Star of the Universe status. He was asked to campaign for a position in the Presidium, which will enable him to overthrow the alleged corrupt leader, Vom. As the novel unfolds, we discovered how Justin bargained with Vom to abandon his campaign and go in search of his wife Sally in the virtual world. His love for Sally was his weakest point. His jealous attitude was uncontrollable, as it caused him to make unwise decisions. Did the virtual world change the identity of his wife? Was he able to recognize her? After Vom discovered the plot against him, what was his reaction?

The plot of this novel seemed complicated at the beginning, but it became easier to understand afterward. Val Fernbach did not centralize his point of view on a particular character. In other words, the story was not centered on one character. What I liked most about this novel was that the author easily mixed science fiction and romance. Because Justin loved his wife Sally, he decided to make the necessary sacrifices to keep her close to himself. Another instance of romance was Rosa’s secret love affair with her boss, Vom. I wouldn’t say I liked the character of Rosa due to her unfaithful lifestyle in relationships. Unfaithfulness displeases me.

The characters in this novel were engaged in complicated romantic relationships. In my opinion, children should avoid reading this novel because of its erotic content. The nature of the relationships between Vom, Rosa, and Tozor was too romantic. Another thing that pleased me about this novel was that the writer created a world where human beings and robots could live together. I witnessed in this book how robots were serving as waiters.

The thing I liked least about this book was the confusing virtual traveling that changed the identity of the characters. It was difficult for me to know which character was performing a given role. For example, Olivia and Sally exchanged their identity during the virtual travel; this resulted in mistaken a name for the other. It was difficult for me to recognize Sally since I was focusing on her.

Due to the simplicity of the author’s writing style and the fact that this book was professionally edited, I rate this novel 4 out of 4 stars. The story has a few typographical errors; therefore, I did not see that as a reason to remove a star from the rating. Children should not read this story since it has sexual content. I recommend this novel to those who enjoy romance novels with a mixture of science fiction.

Am I Real or Virtual
View: on Bookshelves
Nelson Lyric
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nelson-lyric.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Nelson Lyric »

Politics, Romance, Science and Technology. Wow this sounds amazing.

The statement " In virtual travel, a traveler can have his identity changed, and he will be exchanged with someone else who will have the same memory but a different face." Has elevated my intrest in flipping the pages of this book. Thanks for the awesome review. Good Work 👌
Simplicity is the Voice of My Personality :no-spoil:
Luluwa79
Favorite Book: Peter and the Parachute
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luluwa79.html
Latest Review: Peter and the Parachute by Nicola Ridgeway and James Manning

Post by Luluwa79 »

what a nice read. I love how well written and detailed your review is.
Always seek God in all your dealings and He will help you find the right path.
Yasmira_M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmira-m.html
Latest Review: Days Passed by Mcentry Dunbar II

Post by Yasmira_M »

The plot does sound complicated but It sounds like a good read.
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pearl Akpan »

I love the twist and mix of romance and politics in a sci-fi. Although I haven’t been able to gauge how deeply engaging the book is, I think the simplicity as stated makes it worth a shot.

Thank you for a great review!
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

The idea of virtual travel sounds intriguing. I also wonder why the wife went to the virtual world. Thank you for the review.
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Drianie »

I'm definitely intrigued by the premise of this novel. I enjoy a good science fiction adventure with a good dose of romance along the way. Thanks for the recommendation! I loved reading your insightful review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

The intertwining between material and virtual world can be complicated, but this novel seems intriguing, so I can make the effort to follow it. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Who doesn't like it when an author's writing style is simple? I enjoyed reading your detailed and engaging review. Thanks for the recommendation.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

The premise sounds really promising. Virtual traveling is something I haven’t heard before, so I’m curious about this book. Thanks for this insightful review!
Erandi Ekanayake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erandi-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Erandi Ekanayake »

Sounds like a nice science fiction with an interesting plot. Thanks for the great review and recommendation!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”