Were the Physics Topics Too Complex?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2020 Book of the month, "Timewise" by Robert Leet
EnobongGold
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Re: Were the Physics Topics Too Complex?

Post by EnobongGold »

Anyone that has no knowledge of Science will see the Physics topic as complex, I think it is complex to those that are not familiar with quantum Physics.
EnobongGold
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by EnobongGold »

Some people will really appreciate the Physics part of it. It all depends on individual
Valerie Garske
Currently Reading: the girl who know Davanci
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-garske.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Valerie Garske »

The only way I could keep us was that Regina tended to summarize before she moved on. But yes, it was a bit too much. Admittedly, I looked up many of the terms, and most of them were valid science. Therefore, I was having trouble distinguishing science from science fiction. ~ Valerie
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

Sarrikoziol wrote: 03 Nov 2020, 04:58 I found myself in the middle ground here. I felt at times it got to be a bit much, but seemed to be relevant to the book itself. With every profession, there is jargon. I think it was the hardest to understand in comparison to the explanations. As the book went on, it was easier to catch what was being said and the meanings. However by the time I finished, I found I was still questioning things.
Indeed, understanding all the topics isn't an easy task. I could tell when my mind was wandering into a physics phenomenal that wasn't quite clear. I took my time to slowly go through each thesis. As I finished reading, I connected the dots to what I had read previously. However, I still think the topics were complex to some extent.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

valeriejane wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 19:35 But yes, it was a bit too much. Admittedly, I looked up many of the terms, and most of them were valid science. Therefore, I was having trouble distinguishing science from science fiction. ~ Valerie
I feel the same way. I didn't want to do research while I was reading, as it affects my focus and experience with the book. I relied on context clues and my stock knowledge instead. It all seemed realistic to me, to the point where I started thinking "why isn't this being worked on in real-life yet?"
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
Dr D
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dr-d.html
Latest Review: The Internet President: None of the Above by P.G. Sundling
Reading Device: B07QCCW5KB

Post by Dr D »

If you watched 'Back to the future' and didn't care about how Marty time travelled within the altering the timeline, then no it is not all hard. But if you have studied Einstein's theory of relativity then be warned, there is gonna be war in your brain. The book has explained the physics without all the jargon and witn most efficacy, but still the physics guys won't be satisfied. For the normal folks, the physics won't be problem. So just enjoy it. :D
jhnews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhnews.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by jhnews »

I found the science to be entirely too complex and pervasive. Robert could have cut out half of the conversations between Regina and Ron, and I wouldn't have missed a bit of the story. Towards the end, I had to force myself not to skip over their conversations because of how mind-numbing they had become.
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

jhnews wrote: 06 Nov 2020, 21:05 I found the science to be entirely too complex and pervasive. Robert could have cut out half of the conversations between Regina and Ron, and I wouldn't have missed a bit of the story. Towards the end, I had to force myself not to skip over their conversations because of how mind-numbing they had become.
I tried to do the same but my brain kept bugging me that I might miss a tiny detail and end up not understanding the bigger picture later. :cry2: I tried my best.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

lavkathleen wrote: 06 Nov 2020, 02:04
valeriejane wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 19:35 But yes, it was a bit too much. Admittedly, I looked up many of the terms, and most of them were valid science. Therefore, I was having trouble distinguishing science from science fiction. ~ Valerie
I feel the same way. I didn't want to do research while I was reading, as it affects my focus and experience with the book. I relied on context clues and my stock knowledge instead. It all seemed realistic to me, to the point where I started thinking "why isn't this being worked on in real-life yet?"
I also found the physics a bit complex. But Robert Leet had readers like me in mind. The images helped me to understand some of the topics. If there wouldn't have been some diagrams, I am sure I'd have found it so hard to read.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Dr D wrote: 06 Nov 2020, 04:44 If you watched 'Back to the future' and didn't care about how Marty time travelled within the altering the timeline, then no it is not all hard. But if you have studied Einstein's theory of relativity then be warned, there is gonna be war in your brain. The book has explained the physics without all the jargon and witn most efficacy, but still the physics guys won't be satisfied. For the normal folks, the physics won't be problem. So just enjoy it. :D
The narrative has been captivating. There was also the relationships that come up, which helps to cool off the contentious physics topics. Robert Leet also greatly excluded some of the hardest physics terminologies for the average reader.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

jhnews wrote: 06 Nov 2020, 21:05 I found the science to be entirely too complex and pervasive. Robert could have cut out half of the conversations between Regina and Ron, and I wouldn't have missed a bit of the story. Towards the end, I had to force myself not to skip over their conversations because of how mind-numbing they had become.
The problem I noticed with this was that I always anticipated that Regina would start a topic whenever they'd meet with Ron. Unfortunately, it affected my perception of the way the narrative was flowing. Robert should have reduced the topics and instead work on building the plot further in different twists.
Catie139
Currently Reading: Catena Aurea
Bookshelf Size: 12861
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catie139.html
Latest Review: The L.I.G.H.T. Seminar by Deacon Michael Wesley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Catie139 »

I've done reading and study of quantum physics before (though it's been several years), so I more or less understood what the characters were talking about. However, bringing in all the discussion about fractals confused me, and turned me off. It was too technical, and at times I felt like I was reading more of a text book rather than a fiction story. It was not an enjoyable book at all for me.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Catie139 wrote: 07 Nov 2020, 20:48 I've done reading and study of quantum physics before (though it's been several years), so I more or less understood what the characters were talking about. However, bringing in all the discussion about fractals confused me, and turned me off. It was too technical, and at times I felt like I was reading more of a text book rather than a fiction story. It was not an enjoyable book at all for me.
For readers who have a background in quantum physics, Timewise might not appear to be complex at all. If you had a problem understanding some of the topics yet you have a bit of knowledge on the subject, you can imagine what would happen to a typical audience. It's unfortunate that you didn't enjoy this book. But I'd not say the physics was extremely out of place. However, Robert Leet should have found simpler ways to send the same message. Otherwise, I enjoyed reading the narrative as a whole.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 348
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Little Doctors Handbook for Babies and Toddlers by Dr. Haitham Ahmed
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

I have no knowledge of quantum physics, and I found the passages too complex for me. At first, I tried to read closely and attempt understanding, but later I just skimmed through those parts. I was still able to enjoy the story without understanding the science.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

diana lowery wrote: 09 Nov 2020, 11:13 I have no knowledge of quantum physics, and I found the passages too complex for me. At first, I tried to read closely and attempt understanding, but later I just skimmed through those parts. I was still able to enjoy the story without understanding the science.
Fair enough, Robert Leet ensured that the story kept progressing well. I encountered the same issue with the complexity of the topics. But the eagerness to know what would be the next move Ron would make is what motivated me to keep flipping pages.

Return to “Discuss "Timewise" By Robert Leet”