Official Review: The Great Awakening by Arthur F Seymour

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Official Review: The Great Awakening by Arthur F Seymour

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Great Awakening" by Arthur F Seymour.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Great Awakening by Arthur F. Seymour is a sequel to Earth Won by the same author. However, this book can be enjoyed without reading that one. Also, the author was generous enough to provide readers with a summary of Earth Won at the beginning of this book.

The Great Awakening is a sci-fi book about Seymour and his wife, Ruby. The couple and their kids work with other humans and robots as a unit to find the cure for a new virus threatening their world. The virus, DP20, causes infected people to be in a comatose state. Seymour and his team operate from a cave hidden from the outside world and must work secretly to find a cure for DP20. With the help of a mysterious white crow named Sally, Seymour and his team gain insights into achieving their aim. But it seems the virus is just one of the Creature's evil plans to bring the world to its knees. The Creature had tried before and failed. Will the Creature succeed this time? Only time will tell!

This 92-page book is different from all the sci-fi books I have read this year. I found the author's use of a participatory approach in it to be unusual for a sci-fi book. In the e-book version I got, some words are written in red, and they serve as links to the internet. I enjoyed this educative aspect of the book because, through the links, I was able to learn more about the words and understand the book better. For people who would be reading the paperback version, there is also a QR code that will send readers to sites on the internet.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed the book's characterization. Despite being a concise book, the author manages to make characters in the book relatable. His descriptions made even the robots appear life-like and also helped me to form vivid images in my mind. While most readers would love Seymour's character, my favorite is Ruby. I enjoyed how she supported and ensured the safety of her husband.

What I enjoyed the most about the book is its message. The author's lesson on the negative impact of using violence to fight violence is thought-provoking. Though Mr. Seymour's stance is arguable, I agree that the use of brutal force hasn't solved any of the world's problems. Love is the answer! More so, I must commend the author for his message on the need for us to see the preservation of our world as a collective responsibility. Bravo, Mr. Seymour!

Readers who enjoy poetry will love this book. My favorite poem in the book is "Almighty Man." It is about making the right decisions and being aware of the needs of other people. I hope you now understand why I said the book is a different kind of sci-fi book. However, some pictures in the book seemed childish to me. Perhaps the author had young adults in mind as his audience. The pictures didn't detract from my reading experience, but I didn't enjoy them either.

To conclude, I am awarding The Great Awakening 4 out of 4 stars. The issue I mentioned above was easy to forgive, considering I had an overall fascinating reading experience. The book is professionally edited and has a few typos. It is also devoid of profanities. I am recommending the book to both teenagers and adults who love sci-fi books.

The Great Awakening
View: on Bookshelves
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

This one seems like a different kind of sci-fi. I also kind of like poems as well. Thanks for your review!
TCG
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcg.html
Latest Review: The Jewels Of The Rainbow by H.F. Snyder

Post by TCG »

The title of the book caught my attention first. But I don't think I like the content.
Saint Bruno
Currently Reading:

Post by Saint Bruno »

RHD wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 12:28 This one seems like a different kind of sci-fi. I also kind of like poems as well. Thanks for your review!
Yes it is different. I can't thank you enough for stopping by.
Saint Bruno
Currently Reading:

Post by Saint Bruno »

TCG wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 13:08 The title of the book caught my attention first. But I don't think I like the content.
Not every one would like the fusion of different elements in the book. Thanks for finding time to read and comment.
Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Pluma »

This sounds like an intriguing book. I like the sound of the message the story sends, and also the educational aspects and the inclusion of different elements in telling the story. I’m always open to reading a sci-fi story with a unique spin. Thanks for the great review!
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

It is an interesting idea to include poetry in a sci-fi book. Seems like this sci-fi novel is truly unique. Great review!
Ogugua Obinna Stephen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obinna9058.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Ogugua Obinna Stephen »

Already falling in love with the book. I guess the author got inspired by the covid 19 pandemic.
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

:shifty: This sounds really interesting. DP20 reminds me of corona pandemic. Haha!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I'm not sure I want to read a novel about a virus ravaging the world right now, but the unusual structure and the positive message are valuable. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

From your review, this appears to be a very engaging read that is worth the time of any reader of sci-fi books. The resourcefulness found in the links is also commendable. Thank you for the review.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
namuyong
Currently Reading: Primal Encounter
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by namuyong »

science fiction books are not of my liking i think i will pass this one. this review through is so real? o love it
Saint Bruno
Currently Reading:

Post by Saint Bruno »

Pluma wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 17:27 This sounds like an intriguing book. I like the sound of the message the story sends, and also the educational aspects and the inclusion of different elements in telling the story. I’m always open to reading a sci-fi story with a unique spin. Thanks for the great review!
Yes...its message is relevant. Thanks for stopping by.
Saint Bruno
Currently Reading:

Post by Saint Bruno »

lavenderbooks20 wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 19:17 It is an interesting idea to include poetry in a sci-fi book. Seems like this sci-fi novel is truly unique. Great review!
Yeah.... I enjoyed the poems honestly. Thanks a lot for finding time to read and comment on my review.
Saint Bruno
Currently Reading:

Post by Saint Bruno »

Omega 6 wrote: 06 Nov 2020, 01:00 Already falling in love with the book. I guess the author got inspired by the covid 19 pandemic.
He said he started writing it before the outbreak. Thanks a lot for the kind words.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”