Official Review: Humans, Gods, and Hybrids

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Sex and the Sixty Something Guy by Mr. X

Official Review: Humans, Gods, and Hybrids

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Humans, Gods, and Hybrids" by Mark L. Marinaccio.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the near future, mankind has finally discovered that they weren’t alone in the universe. Aboard in a space ship hovering above the planet Earth were aliens that looked like humans in every way. They called themselves Travelers. Two of them were Kellan and Tendra, a couple around twenty years old who have lived their lives studying human history and training to become easily assimilated to them. Their arrival on Earth was primarily to establish friendship and to assist the human race towards growth and evolution.

Inevitably, not all humans greeted them with warmth and optimism. A lot of them were disdainful and skeptical, believing that the Travelers posed a threat to humankind. This political divide was only one of the obstacles that made it hard for the Travelers to adapt and blend in, as there was more going on than meets the eye. In the immigration, Kellan and Tendra got separated. In the next six months, more than the need to find their way back to each other, they had to unravel the mysteries surrounding their origin and the secrets of suspicious individuals who venture on experimental genetic manipulation.

Mark L. Marinaccio has taken me in a whirlwind of adventure in Humans, Gods, and Hybrids. The pacing moved steadily fast in quick successions of action scenes. The story touched on some thought-provoking topics such as cloning, alien-human first contact, and alien experimentation programs. There was so much going on at all fronts, but the author deftly arranged and divided the book into three parts, allowing a seamless and digestible read. The first part mostly revolved around Kellan and Tendra. The second part was from the point of view of an immigration agent called Kate Pierce, who also played a pivotal role in the story. The third part tied all the perspectives together of all the main characters, leading up to a gripping climax.

Not many sci-fi novels could maintain a nice balance of plot execution and characterization, but I liked that this novel handled it just right. The elaborate background in each of the characters provided depth; their dialogues created meaningful connections and realistic emotions. It was also worth mentioning that the main actors who spurred the story were mostly women. My favorite was Tendra, as she was the most developed character in this book. I additionally liked how neat the writing was and the editing, flawless. The descriptive scenes weren’t overdone. The language was simple, peppered with just the right amount of flowery words.

Since there was nothing to dislike about this book, and I found no errors, I would give this a solid 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend Humans, Gods, and Hybrids to people who are interested in suspenseful and thought-provoking sci-fi novels. Erotic scenes were absent, and profanity was at a minimum. However, violence was prevalent in this book, so this may be unsuitable for children.

Humans, Gods, and Hybrids
View: on Bookshelves
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I trust we humans. We can never unanimously accept something, even if it is for our good. Thanks a lot for the great review and recommendation.
Luluwa79
Favorite Book: Peter and the Parachute
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luluwa79.html
Latest Review: Peter and the Parachute by Nicola Ridgeway and James Manning

Post by Luluwa79 »

I wish to know if Kellan and Tendra got back together.
Thanks for the detailed summary and well-written review.
Always seek God in all your dealings and He will help you find the right path.
Nikita_sharma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikita-sharma.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Nikita_sharma »

At first blush, the name Humans, Gods and Hybrids sounded more like it would be about a world of supernatural creatures like vampires, werewolves, Gods and hybrids mingling in the human world. Quite like the Dark Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon. Good thing I read your review. While aliens and cloning are not my typical interests, you do make it sound like it is a good read!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

A terrific mix of elements for a thought-provoking novel that keeps the readers' attention until the end with interesting plot and characters. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”