Official Review: The Last Minder by Fish Phillips

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Official Review: The Last Minder by Fish Phillips

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Last Minder" by Fish Phillips.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What would you do if you found out you had extraordinary and strange powers? Will you use your gift for the right purpose or to oppress your fellow human beings? The Last Minder by Fish Phillips is a sci-fi story that is sure to fascinate anyone that reads it.

A 74-year-old war hero relaxes in his reclining chair with a chilled beer in Chicago when Majjen shows up again. An alien with a snake-like head and scorpion body. Benny recalled that this strange creature had visited him when he was six years old. But then, it appeared to him as though it was a dream. This time, it was real. The alien expressed how fulfilled he felt to see him. Majjen reminds Benny of his unique gifts and that the world would need him in the future. Benny has mystical powers that are triggered by his thoughts and informed by his feelings. Before the alien disappeared via a portal, he transports Benny through alien-controlled earth. Considering his age, an android, Jan-L, was assigned to take care of him and help him find his bearings. Here, Benny soon discovers that he is supposed to willingly give up his life or be forced to do so. Was he able to fulfill his purpose? Did he utilize his gifts?

The author took me on a thrilling and mind-blowing journey throughout my read. I like that the book is fast-paced, making it captivating from the very first chapter to the end. And I was engulfed by the euphoria. Good job, Mr. Phillips. Honestly, I didn't wish for the book to finish. Amid the suspense and tension in the scenes, the author brings in moments of humor to calm the nerves.

The author created a plot that was so believable. Mr. Phillips gave a detailed and perfect description of events so well that I felt as if I was there physically. The twists and turns made the story captivating and unpredictable. There are so many themes in the book that put the reader on a roller coaster of emotions like happiness, tragedy, sadness, pains, and betrayal. I got very emotional when Benny connected with the family he never knew he had in a different world.

Additionally, the author's interview featured at the end of the book was useful. It helps the reader to understand and know what motivated the author to write the book. I learned about true friendship and the importance of gifts in this power-packed piece. What I like the most about this book is the author's vivid narration style. I love how it helped to create clear pictures of the story in my imaginative world.

In conclusion, I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. It didn't disappoint, and it has all the features needed in the sci-fi genre. There is nothing to dislike about the book, and the editorial team did a flawless job. I didn't encounter any errors. The Last Minder deserves a perfect rating of four out of four stars. I strongly recommend this fun read to lovers of fascinating action books, especially those who enjoy reading about aliens and supernatural gifts. However, the book is not suitable for children due to the violence and profanities in it.

The Last Minder
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nmesoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesoma.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Nmesoma »

Your review was descriptive and emotional in a way, it got me wanting to read the book. Thanks for an honest and in-depth review.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

Look like very interesting reading. Thank rou for great review.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a very captivating read to me! :) I would love to read this one. Thanks for a great review!
Ayindelaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayindelaw.html
Latest Review: The Raven's Trail (Book 1) by Liz D. Marx

Post by Ayindelaw »

Hey there, Chigo
There is one thing I like about this book that you have reviewed in a very honest manner--the protagonist is an elderly person. Many elderly people will find this book impossible to pass up because it suggests that they may be down, but they are not out.
Innovations are usually the result of desperate times
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I, like you, enjoy books that get my attention right at the beginning and are hard to put down. This sounds like a wonderful science fiction book that I would enjoy. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Anusha Thatavarthi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anusha-thatavarthi.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Anusha Thatavarthi »

I love how this book's protagonist is a 74-year-old war veteran with special powers. That point is enough to intrigue me. Thanks for the great review!
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your interesting review. This seems to be a refreshing sci-fi book involving aliens. I'm curious how Benny would handle his mission.
Abi_kanda
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abi-kanda.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Abi_kanda »

The question at the beginning of the review is kinda tricky. I would love to know what Benny did. Thanks for the insightful review!
MeganDJ
Currently Reading: Mirrored Worlds
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megandj.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MeganDJ »

Wow! Sounds like a book worth picking up! I love the sci-fi genre and I look forward to diving into this realistic and thoughtful experience. Thank you for the insightful and thorough review! Happy reading :techie-studyinggray:
He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe - Marcus Aurelius
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

Absolutely loved the narration in your review. It made me want to read the book myself because it sounds fascinating and thrilling. Amazing work!
Alice Ngugi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-ngugi.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Alice Ngugi »

I do not like super power novels. I will pass on this one. That's for an interesting review 😉
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Ayindelaw wrote: 22 Nov 2020, 11:58 Hey there, Chigo
There is one thing I like about this book that you have reviewed in a very honest manner--the protagonist is an elderly person. Many elderly people will find this book impossible to pass up because it suggests that they may be down, but they are not out.
Exactly my thoughts! I was imagining a superhero with a paunch. Kidding aside, I think we need more of these books. Seniors matter!
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I'd like to believe that I would use my newfound powers for the good of humankind. Those powers would have to come to me in an "acceptable" way, not through an alien! Nope, nope, nope! Great review!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Gift5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gift5.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by Gift5 »

I love your review, it is very narrative. Nice job.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”