Official Review: Mirrored Worlds by Tayma Tameem

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Official Review: Mirrored Worlds by Tayma Tameem

Post by Ellylion »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mirrored Worlds" by Tayma Tameem.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mirrored Worlds by Tayma Tameem, the first book of a series, is a captivating fantasy novel. Lila Bakurets, a young and ambitious mage from the Bureau of Magical Affairs, along with Graute, an elf whose past is full of mysteries, and Battleaxe, a giant with a military background, start a very dangerous mission. They must bring a baby born without any magical abilities to the Nation from the hostile Opar, where the dictatorship regimen of the Federation ruled by a cruel king is established. The baby causes multiple catastrophes. This child can even destroy the magical world of Reath and must be transferred to the parallel world that doesn't have any magic through the Prime Mirror, a portal between them, discovered by the Nation.

The book is narrated mainly from Lila's point of view. She is a young, inexperienced, but very determined mage. She got perfect scores in the National Academy, and this is her first mission. All the mentioned above makes Lila's perspective very interesting to follow. We study this unusual, magical world and it's laws with her. We worry for her when she makes mistakes; we root for her when she fights with mortal enemies. Her character is very fresh and unique, and she gets nothing for granted. I liked the concept of magic that comes at the expense of mage's energy. To cast a spell, Lila not only waves her wand but also loses her energy. In my opinion, it's a fair play.

The other characters are also very well developed. They are not heroes, nor are they ideal, which is very appealing. It seems like Lila, Graute, and Battleaxe have nothing in common from the very beginning, but they learn how to get along and to start trusting each other. The development of their relationships was my most favorite aspect of this book.

It's an action-packed book that has a strong and logical plot-line. The events unfold very fast. The author creates a fascinating world with many classic fantasy features such as are elves, trolls, or unicorns. But, at the same time, the author's approach is quite unusual, making this world really worth exploring. The book offers many twists and turns, adding some suspense at the end.

But the ending of the book is abrupt, and that's what I dislike most about it. Although it's just the first book of the series, and such an ending encourages me to read the next one even more. Also, unfortunately, the book doesn't have any map that would help to understand the geography of this magical world better.

As I was reading, I found just a few insignificant typos, so I believed that the book was professionally edited. I am happy to award it with 4 out of 4 stars.

The book has some profane words and scenes of violence, including mentions of tortures. It doesn't have any eroticism at all. Also, it doesn't touch on religious questions. I would not recommend it to children and those readers who avoid reading fantasy novels.

I recommend this book to young adults and adult readers, preferring fantasy, epic fantasy, urban fantasy fiction, sci-fi books, dystopian novels, and adventurous prose.

In my opinion, this premise of the series is very promising, and I am looking forward to reading the next book about the adventures of Lila, Graute, and Battleaxe.

Mirrored Worlds
View: on Bookshelves
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your throughout review. I also like the fact that one has to pay when they use magic. It would be illogical if magicians can just wave their wands as much as they like, and only lose if their opponents' spells are stronger.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sou Hi wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 20:56 Thanks for your throughout review. I also like the fact that one has to pay when they use magic. It would be illogical if magicians can just wave their wands as much as they like, and only lose if their opponents' spells are stronger.
Thanks for your comments! :)
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I am not a sci-fi fan, though I liked Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. But there's something here that intrigues me. The mirror reminds me of Erised and Snow White, LOL!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

It seems like a very interesting series, and a promising first book. Thank you for your recommendation and your brilliant review!
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems a great beginning for a fantasy saga with a strong, action-packed, plot full of twists. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your terrific review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Thank you for mirroring this immersive magical world so well!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Tarilan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarilan.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Tarilan »

I have recently started reading books about magic and mages. As a fantasy and series lover, am looking forward to reading this book. Thanks for the review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, the story sounds interesting. I don't like the abrupt ending. I'd rather an author draw you to a new story by a great first story. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Nmesoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesoma.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Nmesoma »

Your review is descriptive, and I'm very happy that you pointed out the violence and the others for those who aren't very good with things like that. Thank you very much for a detailed review.
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

This book has an intriguing concept and what sounds like a great collection of characters. Great review!
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

A book with fantasy, dystopian novels, and adventurous prose sounds absolutely great! Thank you for such an engaging review on this book!
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I wonder if Lila succeeded in her mission. Was the baby intentionally destructive or was she powerful in her own unique way? This book sounds interesting. Lovely review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Such an intriguing plot! The last time I read about mages was in We are Voulhire. Thanks for your detailed and insightful review.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

Sounds like a fascinating book with well-developed characters! I’m sure fans of the fantasy genre would love this. Thank you for such an insightful review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”