Official Review: Called to Dragons Nest by Madison Hinko

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JKO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jko.html
Latest Review: 7 Ways To Manage Pain With CBD by David Anthony Schroeder

Official Review: Called to Dragons Nest by Madison Hinko

Post by JKO »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Called to Dragons Nest" by Madison Hinko.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A long time ago, four dragons by the names of Candice, Edan, Vulcan, and Ashbel ruled the four kingdoms. Candice ruled Ceptem; Edan, Nava; Vulcan, the Red Islands; and Ashbel, king of dragons, ruled Remular. A time came when they decided to create a special race of Nomads who, by science, were kind and never felt hate or envy. These new creations were incapable of any form of violence and were called “Red Lips.”

Generations later, following the massacre of the Red Lips by the Nomad king and the war that had broken out within the kingdoms, the dragons retreated to a hidden place in the Red Islands called Dragons Nest. There, they called for the strongest Reds, and these Red Lips were given the will to kill the king. In the end, the nature of the Red Lips prevailed, and they failed to kill the king. However, several years later, there is a new sense of hope to kill the king as a Red Lip with special powers called Rose is born. With help from Dragons Nest, can an adolescent Rose overcome her nature to kill the king and end the war? Or is she just overrated? What price does she have to pay to save her people? Read Called To Dragons Nest by Madison Hinko to find the answers to these questions and more.

I have to commend the efforts of the young author in putting together this piece. At only fourteen, Hinko has written a novel that satisfies most elements that make up a good fiction story. Firstly, the character development was superb. Even though there were a lot of characters, the writer did a great job of describing them. I was able to create a vision of how each character looked like. Also, the dialogue between characters helped me understand each character's personality. As a result, I could tell which character was talking at every point. My favorite character was Erik; he was one of the Red Lips that failed to kill the king. I loved the love-hate relationship that the author tried to create between Erik and Rose. Erik was the only character that added a bit of humor to the story, and this is why I connected more with him. However, it was nice to see that the writer gave girls more important roles throughout the story.

Additionally, the book seemed to be professionally edited, as I found only five minor errors throughout the text. Also, I found the plot interesting, and the pace of the book was just right for the story. The author provided sufficient answers to the questions that arose throughout this suspense-filled story. This novel would appeal to young adults and anyone that likes a good fiction story. However, readers that are affected by gore or profanity are advised to read this one with caution as there are multiple profane words and gory scenes. I rate this novel 3 out of 4 stars. I deducted one star because there were some aspects of the book that I didn’t enjoy.

One thing I didn’t enjoy about the novel was the way it ended. Firstly, things moved a bit too smoothly for Rose and her adolescent companions for most of the story, and in the end, it seemed like the author suddenly realized that Rose’s team had little to no casualties and decided to force the demise of multiple important characters. I felt those deaths came too late in the story and was unnecessary. Secondly, I had expected to see a more stern opposition from the king early on, but it seemed like he was not as ruthless as the story painted him to be from the beginning. I mean, how can a bunch of teens take on a king that has a track record of massacring people and find it easy?

Called to Dragons Nest
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunday diamond »

I enjoyed reading this reveiw. Not quite lng before now, i've started reading fiction history book, this review increase my love of d book gener
Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Pluma »

This sounds like an exciting book, with interesting characters and a unique setting. It’s a pity that some elements were not so well-done; I admire the author anyway for managing to write a book like this at such a young age. Thanks for the great review!
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

This is indeed intriguing and in eager to find the answers to the questions. Great review.
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhyarnaaman.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

JKO wrote: 18 Oct 2020, 18:16 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Called to Dragons Nest" by Madison Hinko.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A long time ago, four dragons by the names of Candice, Edan, Vulcan, and Ashbel ruled the four kingdoms. Candice ruled Ceptem; Edan, Nava; Vulcan, the Red Islands; and Ashbel, king of dragons, ruled Remular. A time came when they decided to create a special race of Nomads who, by science, were kind and never felt hate or envy. These new creations were incapable of any form of violence and were called “Red Lips.”

Generations later, following the massacre of the Red Lips by the Nomad king and the war that had broken out within the kingdoms, the dragons retreated to a hidden place in the Red Islands called Dragons Nest. There, they called for the strongest Reds, and these Red Lips were given the will to kill the king. In the end, the nature of the Red Lips prevailed, and they failed to kill the king. However, several years later, there is a new sense of hope to kill the king as a Red Lip with special powers called Rose is born. With help from Dragons Nest, can an adolescent Rose overcome her nature to kill the king and end the war? Or is she just overrated? What price does she have to pay to save her people? Read Called To Dragons Nest by Madison Hinko to find the answers to these questions and more.

I have to commend the efforts of the young author in putting together this piece. At only fourteen, Hinko has written a novel that satisfies most elements that make up a good fiction story. Firstly, the character development was superb. Even though there were a lot of characters, the writer did a great job of describing them. I was able to create a vision of how each character looked like. Also, the dialogue between characters helped me understand each character's personality. As a result, I could tell which character was talking at every point. My favorite character was Erik; he was one of the Red Lips that failed to kill the king. I loved the love-hate relationship that the author tried to create between Erik and Rose. Erik was the only character that added a bit of humor to the story, and this is why I connected more with him. However, it was nice to see that the writer gave girls more important roles throughout the story.

Additionally, the book seemed to be professionally edited, as I found only five minor errors throughout the text. Also, I found the plot interesting, and the pace of the book was just right for the story. The author provided sufficient answers to the questions that arose throughout this suspense-filled story. This novel would appeal to young adults and anyone that likes a good fiction story. However, readers that are affected by gore or profanity are advised to read this one with caution as there are multiple profane words and gory scenes. I rate this novel 3 out of 4 stars. I deducted one star because there were some aspects of the book that I didn’t enjoy.

One thing I didn’t enjoy about the novel was the way it ended. Firstly, things moved a bit too smoothly for Rose and her adolescent companions for most of the story, and in the end, it seemed like the author suddenly realized that Rose’s team had little to no casualties and decided to force the demise of multiple important characters. I felt those deaths came too late in the story and was unnecessary. Secondly, I had expected to see a more stern opposition from the king early on, but it seemed like he was not as ruthless as the story painted him to be from the beginning. I mean, how can a bunch of teens take on a king that has a track record of massacring people and find it easy?

Called to Dragons Nest
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
You have nicely described the work of this young author. I also would have found the story towards the end, a little un-natural. The storyline is good. Profanity would keep me away from this book.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.
By Rob White
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This novel seems very teen-oriented with teens being basically superheroes capable of greater deeds than they're supposed to. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Luluwa79
Favorite Book: Peter and the Parachute
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luluwa79.html
Latest Review: Peter and the Parachute by Nicola Ridgeway and James Manning

Post by Luluwa79 »

The book sounds appealing to a young author. I would love to read and learn from this book.
I really wish to know if Rose killed the king or not.
I love your flow of words and how you wrote such a detailed review.
Always seek God in all your dealings and He will help you find the right path.
Sarrikoziol
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarrikoziol.html
Latest Review: House of Cuts by June Gillam

Post by Sarrikoziol »

Sounds like a cautiously compelling read. I tend to gravitate towards more mythical and magical based storylines. I would be curious to read this because it was written by someone of such a young age. My own kid has a written novel which was written from the ages of nine to eleven. It is well formulated with a good plot. I never dismiss a book because of gore or profanity let alone one from a young writer.

Very well written and thought provoking review. I will be sure to add this one to my shelves.
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pearl Akpan »

At only fourteen, Hinko has written a novel that satisfies most elements that make up a good fiction story.
I personally got drawn to this book at this point. I think the author has an interesting imagination to create a story like this one.
Secondly, I had expected to see a more stern opposition from the king early on, but it seemed like he was not as ruthless as the story painted him to be from the beginning. I mean, how can a bunch of teens take on a king that has a track record of massacring people and find it easy?

Pointing out how understating the character of the presumed “ruthless” king was, seems like something that will also leave me a bit dissatisfied.

Thank you for an awesome review entirely!
Bahijah
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bahijah »

I’m not sure how I feel about the review, hoping the book is an easier read. Already quite a few characters not sure who is who, but the plot sounds exciting. Would definitely consider reading this

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”