Official Review: On the Trail of the Ruthless Warlock

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Official Review: On the Trail of the Ruthless Warlock

Post by NetMassimo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "On the Trail of the Ruthless Warlock" by Lynne Armstrong-Jones.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

On the Trail of the Ruthless Warlock by Lynne Armstrong-Jones is a fantasy novel. When Creda goes to visit her sister, she discover with great horror that the place where her nomadic tribe set an encampment was devastated. There are no traces of the inhabitants, but what remains of the camp points to some kind of attack. Creda is a young sorceress, so she goes back to the Tower of Giefan, where the Superiors live and work, to report her discovery. This event adds to disturbing rumors about a warlock driving an army closer and closer to their kingdom for some dark purpose, so the Superiors decide to invoke the Seer to ask for guidance. The response starts a quest to look for a witch who can offer them more information. The local prince sends some soldiers with them, and a lone warrior who goes by many names joins their quest.

This novel tells a very classic type of fantasy story, with sorcerers, witches, dragons, and giant snakes with magic powers. I can't honestly say that its premises are original, as there's an evil warlock with an ominous purpose fought by a group of sorcerers and sorceresses who want to protect their kingdom. A prophecy leads to start a quest in search of the pieces of a talisman that can help them defeat the warlock. This choice allows the author to focus on the plot and characters, without the need to include long explanations for the various elements in the novel.

If there's something I didn't like about this novel, it is the setting, which seems a bit undefined. I mean, I wished the author included some more information about the setting, for example telling us more about the kingdom and its people.

Since the beginning of the novel, you can see that it's about the journey much more than the destination. That's not just a figure of speech because most of the plot is about a quest with a physical journey. There are a lot of adventures with dangers for the protagonists and occasions for some character development. Sister Creda is the main character, a young sorceress who completed her studies and has to pass her final tests. During the quest, she's helped by Superior Veras, a senior sorceress who mentors her. Creda's development, which also means her powers' development, is the part of the novel I liked the most because, despite her magic, she's a normal young woman, so readers can easily connect to her.

The novel contains no profanities at all, and there are just some flirting by Nico, the lone warrior, with the women, nothing erotic. For these reasons, I find it suitable for young people. The editing is very good as I found very few errors. My criticism about the setting is minor compared to the novel's merits, so I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. If you like fantasy and want to read a self-contained novel under 300 pages with a linear plot rather than a long series, I recommend On the Trail of the Ruthless Warlock.

On the Trail of the Ruthless Warlock
View: on Bookshelves
Ciao :)
Massimo
Anusha Thatavarthi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anusha-thatavarthi.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Anusha Thatavarthi »

This seems like an enjoyable fantasy novel. I agree that setting is very important for a fantasy book and the author should have worked more on that. Great review!
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I might just give this book a chance because of its linear plot. Also, snakes, witches, and dragons in the same novel sound fascinating.Great review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

anua24060 wrote: 30 Nov 2020, 00:18 This seems like an enjoyable fantasy novel. I agree that setting is very important for a fantasy book and the author should have worked more on that. Great review!
The author focused on the plot and the important characters choosing to leave a generic setting to keep the novel from becoming very long. Take it or leave it. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Nqobile771 wrote: 30 Nov 2020, 01:06 I might just give this book a chance because of its linear plot. Also, snakes, witches, and dragons in the same novel sound fascinating.Great review.
If you like that classic type of fantasy, this novel is indeed suitable for your taste. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
Unique Ego
Favorite Book: The Tales of Little Lady M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Unique Ego »

Even though I'm happy this story is more about the journey/adventure than the destination/outcome, I do hope Creda finds her sister.
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Unique Ego wrote: 30 Nov 2020, 03:45 Even though I'm happy this story is more about the journey/adventure than the destination/outcome, I do hope Creda finds her sister.
You'll have to read this novel to find out... :wink: thank you for commenting!
Massimo
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Thank you very much for this amazing review! I love books based on journeys (no matter fantasy or even non-fiction), so I'd love to check this one out :)
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I can't explain my new found love for fantasy books. So I am adding this one too. Thanks for the insightful review and recommendation.
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Ellylion wrote: 30 Nov 2020, 09:58 Thank you very much for this amazing review! I love books based on journeys (no matter fantasy or even non-fiction), so I'd love to check this one out :)
Well then, this is indeed a novel suitable for you. :) Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Saint Bruno wrote: 30 Nov 2020, 16:14 I can't explain my new found love for fantasy books. So I am adding this one too. Thanks for the insightful review and recommendation.
Have fun, and thank you for your appreciation: it was my pleasure to read this novel and recommend it to fantasy lovers!
Massimo
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your interesting review. While fantasy is my favorite genre, the plot seems classical for a book with the medieval theme. And with the lack of setting, I think I will pass the book for now.
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Sou Hi wrote: 30 Nov 2020, 22:25 Thanks for your interesting review. While fantasy is my favorite genre, the plot seems classical for a book with the medieval theme. And with the lack of setting, I think I will pass the book for now.
As a fan, you've probably read similar stories already. This one is suitable for readers who don't want to start a long series of books. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

Is it just me or you have this huge spot for fantasy. I equally like them but mostly the movies. I hope that some day I'd start reading more book from this genre.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Eutoc wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 15:32 Is it just me or you have this huge spot for fantasy. I equally like them but mostly the movies. I hope that some day I'd start reading more book from this genre.
Actually, I prefer science fiction, but in recent years I've read many fantasy works, and here on OBC often I find fantasy novels available more easily than science fiction. Thank you for commenting!
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”