Official Review: The Futility of Vengeance by Adam Guest

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Official Review: The Futility of Vengeance by Adam Guest

Post by Eutoc »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Futility of Vengeance" by Adam Guest.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After the unjust incarceration of Gary Jackson for the murder of Michelle, Gary vowed to seek justice for Michelle. He felt the real perpetrator of the murder needed to atone for his sin. The Futility of Vengeance by Adam Guest, a melodramatic sequel to Worldlines, engages the readers in the life of Gary after his trial, how he has been coping with paying for a crime he didn’t commit. How would he be able to get justice for Michelle while he’s still in prison?

Everyone but Gary and Sinead has come to terms with accepting that Michelle was murdered in cold blood by Gary at Sinead’s birthday party. Maybe it’s because they are yet to fully understand the possibility of one to be possessed by his doppelganger from another timeline through lucid dreaming. Gary’s prison experience didn’t seem to make his condition favourable. It’s either he was avoiding petty attacks from other prisoners, or he was mulling over the banters that he received for denying killing his girlfriend. Since the ‘Many Worlds’ postulate supports every outcome to every scenario, most other Garys were living their normal lives without experiencing either the death of Michelle or the jail term that he was serving. After numerous attempts at lucid dreaming, Gary finally gets hold of whom he believed to be the murderer and attempts a spiteful act on him.

Reading this book was worth the time spent. I appreciated the introduction of more timelines than there were in the prequel to this book. For a book that traverses through different timelines, it had just the right number of characters to reduce ambiguity on the side of the reader. Considering that the possibility of having a multiverse can’t be ruled out, I can say that Adam Guest observed this in his story. He ensured that there weren’t substantial changes in the lives of the characters in the multiverse. The friendship between Gary, Sinead and Michelle was maintained in all the available timelines. It shows the high level of preference for coherence over a convoluted plotline.

Not that it’s so grave, the only downside of this book is that it got to become repetitive at some point. Some of the events occurred multiple times than I expected. I felt Sinead’s pain each time she received the news that her mom was dead. This scene played out over three times in the book. I don’t think much could be done on the author’s side, so I do not blame him.

I can say that the book was professionally edited as I found only two grammatical errors. Another round of proofreading would clear it off. I rate The Futility of Vengeance 4 out of 4 stars. There’s nothing that I disliked about this book that could have made me deny it a perfect rating. This narrative is not only suitable for adults but also recommended to teens as there isn’t any sexual activity beyond kissing.

The Futility of Vengeance
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Nelson Lyric
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nelson-lyric.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Nelson Lyric »

I must say this is Quiet an Amazing thriller, I can imagine being in Prison when you are actually innocent (I really feel for Gary). I can't wait to read this one. Thanks for this wonderful review.
Simplicity is the Voice of My Personality :no-spoil:
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Thanks for this insightful review. The first book was a raw material so to say, and I disliked it to be honest. The characters were just flat. Hopefully this one is better :)
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

Great to read that Worldlines has a sequel! I'll definitely would like to check this one out.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

A nice and well balanced review. I would like to try this one after trying the prequel of it. Thanks for the insightful review 👍👍
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I didn't know that Worldlines had a sequel. I haven't read the first book, but they both sound interesting. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your interesting review. Just as I thought, Blue Line's Gary is really seeking for revenge. I wonder if he will succeed in paying back, or will they make peace?
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

I’m glad to know that Worldlines has a sequel. I liked the first book, and based on your review, I feel like I might like this sequel as well. Great review!
Anusha Thatavarthi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anusha-thatavarthi.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore

Post by Anusha Thatavarthi »

I am waiting for this book for a long time since reading Worldlines. From your review, I think it is up to my expectations. Great review!
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I thought vengeance was sweet :eusa-think: The book sounds like a well-written thriller. Good job with the review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Worldlines is on my list to read. One Many-Worlds Interpretation novel may be enough for me, but it’s good to know there is a sequel if I am interested. Thanks for your great review!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

The idea of different worldlines is an interesting concept, but I have difficulty seeing how it could possibly work because if something happened in one worldline, such as a death, it would change the entire future of that worldline as compared to the others. Anyway, it does make one think. Thanks for your well-written and interesting review!
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Books with just the right amount of characters are easier to follow. Thank goodnss this one comes correct in that aspect. Thanks for the detailed review and recommendation.
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

I haven't gotten around to the first book yet, but this certainly sounds like an exciting series! Great review!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Gary's situation just gets more and more complicated. It is fascinating that he is still lucid dreaming. Are all the Gary's dreaming? Your review has me intrigued about what happened to Michelle. Great writing!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”