Overall rating and opinion of "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah

Use this forum to discuss the February 2021 Book of the month, "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah
Hhannahh
Currently Reading: The Smartest Person in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: The Whaler's Daughter by Jerry Mikorenda

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Hhannahh »

Fleurine_t92 wrote: 13 Feb 2021, 01:27 The author know how to show off his past, struggles and strengths he got. This is the nice book. But only I couldn't put in mind to read to understand and trying to find the error. In that case, reading other professions I didn't know is hard for me and the story was being some kind of boring to me. I like some quotes inside this book. Finding the peace as his title said wasn't easy to get in real life. In myanmar, we trying hard to get it but it still far away from us. The book make me ashamed of myself because I felt I didn't make a move enough to get it.
Hey Fleurine, the ending of your comment caught my attention. I never heard of Myanmar until I read your comment. I've done my research on your country, and I understand how you feel about the sad state of it. Infact, I can perfectly relate to how you feel about your country because I come from a similarly failed state. But I just want to tell you that you shouldn't feel ashamed of yourself because what you've read in this book. Sad maybe, but not ashamed. I'd say you should be motivated not ashamed. I understand how hopeless things look, but feeling ashamed is the first step to giving up.
Nitika Sood
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-HDFC-Head-Girl.html
Latest Review: The Great Awakening by Arthur F Seymour

Post by Nitika Sood »

Dream for Peace is an inspiring portrayal of the unswerving courage and strength that Dr. Ghoulem Berrah displayed when he was faced with practically insurmountable hurdles. It was such a compelling story impressive story because the author did so much in his life. Being a very accomplished man, his contributions to the Biological sciences widely impacted the world, he made good use of his diplomatic talents and he travelled the world while getting to know such eminent personalities. And possibly what I liked most about this story, is that since it is written from Dr. Berrah's perspective himself, you get to see the more human aspects of his life, rather than a list of his achievements and accolades. I quite liked reading about the values of love and appreciation that he feels for his family, along with the beautiful stories that accompany his three marriages. Another thing that I quite admired about the book was that the author was an egalitarian man and made real and monumental efforts to improve the way of life around him. The only thing that I felt could've made the novel a bit better was if the author had been a bit more humble whilst talking about his life. Overall, I would have say that while autobiographies aren't usually my forte, I quite enjoyed this one and I highly recommend it, especially to audiences interested in world politics and history. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.
Ngelani R
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngelani-r.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ngelani R »

This book deserves a full rating (4 out of 4). I liked how the author created inspiring story from his own biography. Actually, there is nothing I disliked about the book. I will recommend it to all those who love reading biographical books.
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

I enjoyed this book. This man led a very interesting life. His dedication to his cause was admirable. Even spending time in prison did not stop this ambitious man from trying to achieve his dream for peace. He is inspiring and sends a strong message of never giving up on your dreams.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I enjoyed the recounting of Dr. Berrah's efforts to achieve peace for Cote d'Ivoire and Algeria. His profound relationship with President Houphouët was inspiring. Some of the historical accounts of the African countries he worked with would appeal to people who live or are familiar with this part of the world. I found some of these sections hard to relate to. I wished he would have included some maps. I also enjoyed reading about his relationship with Titi. My favorite chapter was his description of the bloopers during his career! I would recommend this book to students and historians who are looking for in-depth information on the peace efforts in Africa. Overall, I would rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars.
Maríe Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Maríe Wamakima »

I rated the book 3 out of 4 stars, because part of me felt like that it wasn't possible for a person to be so successful and achieve so much.
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Drianie »

Biographies aren't usually my go-to choice for reading material, but I found this book very interesting and easy to read. I found it admirable how the author was able to balance his education along with his role in political activism. The underlying message of peace and equality is truly inspiring. He has led a full and interesting life, and those who enjoy biographies centered around politics and history will enjoy this one. This was an easy 4 out of 4 stars for me, and there wasn't anything to dislike about this well-written book.
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

I give it a 2 out of 4 rating. This is the first time I've read anything about Africa. Dr. Berrah's life story as an Arab-African who dedicated his life to pursuing peace widened my perspective of the world. However, I'm not a fan of the way this was written. It bored me and was difficult to weave the events on a proper timeline. Nonetheless, I still believe some people would appreciate it and learn quite a lot from him.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Fleurine_t92 wrote: 13 Feb 2021, 01:27 The author know how to show off his past, struggles and strengths he got. This is the nice book. But only I couldn't put in mind to read to understand and trying to find the error. In that case, reading other professions I didn't know is hard for me and the story was being some kind of boring to me. I like some quotes inside this book. Finding the peace as his title said wasn't easy to get in real life. In myanmar, we trying hard to get it but it still far away from us. The book make me ashamed of myself because I felt I didn't make a move enough to get it.
It got boring for me, too. I struggled to finish reading this book.

I'm from the Philippines and we're far from peace, too. I understand the feeling of shame but it helps! It helps you push yourself to be a better person for the country, especially now that you've learned a lot of things from Dr. Berrah.
Kathleen Lavador

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Justina kaloki wrote: 02 Feb 2021, 04:50 He is a good story teller,its easy to realite his story ,what I like most is fact that he believed his family was one of the best in a small town they lived Happy and with harmony,I would recommend because his story especially his time in jail most can relate and and also learn a lot from him.
I disagree with him being a good storyteller, but he does have good stories to tell. I feel like those stories changed me permanently. As an activist who once became a political prisoner, it sure would be something relatable to many activists around the world.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

samps1910 wrote: 06 Feb 2021, 02:30 I find that this book is overall a very inspiring work. His struggle and his hard work as an activist really opened my mind and this is what I like about the book. There's nothing I dislike about it. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys biographies. This is a pleasant read!
I'm glad that there are other who enjoyed this book, but I can't help but say that it wasn't as pleasant for me. :cry2: A lot of times it was dragging and difficult to understand (for someone who hasn't read anything in relation to Africa). The events were also difficult to place on a timeline because of the way it was written and organized.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Jenniferg_1105 wrote: 07 Feb 2021, 18:34 I do not usually read biographies but A Dream for Peace is a very good an inspiring story. I love the unwavering quest for equality and peace in this story. The love and respect for family portrayed in this book is admirable.
Dr. Berrah is a gem. His dreams for this world, his ideals and the genuinity of it all is one of a kind. I also love how he didn't write much about his blood-family (I guess we would assume how automatically loyal and loving he would be to them, no matter how far they were from each other.) but we still saw the familial bond and love he had for people he wasnt related to by blood. Not a lot of us could say the same, but he had that and I'm happy for him.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

justhereader wrote: 08 Feb 2021, 21:38 This is a 4 out 4 stars book for me. What I like the most about this book is the details of Dr. Berrah’s personal life. The writing will tocuh on your emotions. I like his discoveries on various religions because I, as a reader, gets to learn as well. There is nothing I dislike. I recommend this to anyone who enjoy history, politics, and world religions.
Unfortunately, the writing didn't touch my emotions. It was actually quite dragging and it bored me more times than I'd like to admit. But I finished it and I learned a lot. It amazes me how diverse in religions their society is, and how they managed to co-exist without trying to destroy each other (although they still had their ups and downs).
Kathleen Lavador

aby johnson
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Favorite Book: A Gentleman in Moscow
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aby-johnson.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B07FQ4Q7MB
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by aby johnson »

I found this book to be so inspiring and moving. I don't usually read biography kind of books but this one really makes me want to read more. The path he took in life and the way he overcame his obstacles is astounding. I would recommend this book to everyone.
Smile, for better days are yet to come :D
Praise George-kayode
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-george-kayode.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Praise George-kayode »

I will rate the book 4 out of 4 stars over and over again. The book has taught me a lot about life in general. His lifestyle acted like a manual and I really valued the writing and publishing of this book. There was nothing i disliked from the book. His whole life compensated and the time spent on the book was worth reading.

Return to “Discuss "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah”